Home Forums Bike Forum 135mm QR disc rear wheel, 11 speed

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 135mm QR disc rear wheel, 11 speed
  • mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Hi, I’m planning to change my “flat bar gravel bike” from 2×10 to 1×11 but I’ve realised the 2nd hand Maddux wheel I picked up 3 years ago is 10 speed. When I go looking for disc wheels they all seem to be thru axle, anyone know please where I could pick up a (relatively) inexpensive 135mm qr 700cc, 11 speed, disc rear wheel?

Thanks

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Or is it cheaper / possible to replace my existing hub with 11 speed?

jimdubleyou

Isn’t 10 speed shimano is the same as 11 speed?

sillyoldman

Not road ones.

Is it an MTB wheel that you’re trying to fit a relatively tight spread road cassette onto?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

11-speed road 11-34 cassettes fit on a 10-speed freehub without the supplied spacer.

sillyoldman

Exactly. As do wider spread MTB ones. Both due to the dished big sprocket.

sbtouring
    Free Member

For real cheap I bought a new wheel for my mtb, it was designed for a hybrid, it cost about £65 from my lbs. Was very heavy, but worked. It was no brand so can’t help, but possibly was supplied by madison. So cheap wheels are available.

I replaced it with a Hope rear wheel, as I was struggling to get any wheels with 135mm qr unless I went for custom build

wheelsonfire1

Somebody on here will know for certain, I’m retired so switched off! However I believe 11 speed should fit. There are some differences between the road and mtb Shimano but I’m pretty sure you should be ok, for instance fitting a 10 speed cassette to a 8/9 speed hub required a spacer as the 10 is narrower!

wheelsonfire1

However, I’d stick 2 x 10!

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I’ve got a Novatec thru axle hub that converts to a 135mm QR wheel with a cheap conversion kit that takes all of a minute to fit, you might be able to find a rear wheel built on a Novatec hub?

Wiggle sell conversion kits to convert thru axle prime wheels to 135mm QR. I was lead to believe that Prime use rebranded Novatec hubs but don’t quote me on that.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just fit a MTB cassette, if you’re going 1×11 and not sticking a silly small front ring on you’ll be glad of the bigger cog at the rear.

ampthill

My thoughts are that 11 speed mtb will fit

Some mtb and gravel wheels will come with end caps in the box to allow quick release or through axle. My hope one did saved I think Hunts do

docrobster
    Free Member

I always get confused about this. As I don’t run any 11 speed road stuff it doesn’t affect me but as I understand it there is only one type of hg free hub which works for 8/9/10/11 mtb cassettes and 8/9/10 road without a spacer.
    11speed road close ratio cassettes foul the spokes as the large sprocket is dished inward slightly so a small spacer is used to push everything out a tiny amount.
    I recently bought some new wheels and a thin spacer was sellotaped inside the box. It’s now lost forever at the bottom of my parts bin.
    What I don’t understand is how you can fit the lock ring to the cassette when everything has been moved over by 1.5mm or whatever it is?
    Or is the base of an 11s road cassette narrower than other standard hg cassettes.
    Is there a different road 11s hg freehub I don’t know about? With the spacer built in? So won’t take a standard hg cassette?

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh and yeah all the 135qr hubs I’ve owned that haven’t been low end cheap rubbish have swappable end caps to go between 142×12 and 135 qr. Most come set up 142 but 135 spacers supplied or available for a tenner or something

ampthill

What I don’t understand is how you can fit the lock ring to the cassette when everything has been moved over by 1.5mm or whatever it is?

By fitting a 1.5mm spacer before the cassette

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Thank you all.

Current maddux wheel has 11-34 10 speed cassette and a plastic dish guard. So I think we are saying 11s cassette should fit?

I am planning to go 44t front and 11-51 rear using Deore M5100 kit, I use the bike for commuting and fitness rides around my local reservoirs (hilly routes).

My wife says I should keep my money and stick with my current set up 🙂 (48/32). But she bought a Whyte Pimlico recently and I like her 1x set up with the 11-51, I’ve dropped my chain a couple of times changing front ring and it’s a bigger to extract from the frame. I’m a one handed cyclist and have a friction shifter next to the thumb shifter to control the front mech, the 1x set up has a lot of appeal for this bike (I wouldn’t go 1x on my road bike).

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

I assume the CS-M5100 11 speed 11-51 cassette is mtb?

docrobster
    Free Member

The 11-51 is mtb. I have it. It’s ace.

@ampthill
    are you saying 11s road cassette bodies are 1.5mm narrower than all the others?
    There’s no play in a normal hg cassette behind the lock ring

IHN

I’ve got an 11spd road cassette on a standard Shimano freehub, on a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3s. MrsIHN has a 10spd cassette on identical wheels. Mine has a spacer, her’s doesn’t, all works fine.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Compatibility [03] Rear hubs

Everything you want to know and more about freehub compatibility.

It’s obvious you need a spacer, when tightening up the lock ring doesn’t remove the play between the cassette and the hub.

docrobster
    Free Member

Answered my own question

So the answer is road 11s freehub bodies have 1.85mm wider splines than mtb or road 8/9/10

I think

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have at least 4 rear wheels that started life as 10 speeder including a pair that sound like the OPs. Just take a file and nip 1.8ishmm off the stops on the inner end of the rbs o the freehub. 11 speed just pops straight on the. Way easier than machining the cassatte and free.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘135mm QR disc rear wheel, 11 speed’ is closed to new replies.