Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 12 x 142 E-Thru axle issue
  • stormtrooper
    Free Member

Bear with me here…

I have a 2014 Giant Anthem which I bought 2nd hand and had already been converted to 12 x 142 with a new wheelset. Just before a ride a couple of weeks ago I noticed some play in the rear wheel which I put down to the Shimano E-Thru axle being loose (it was actually the cones which needed adjusting). Having not used a thru axel before I thought I had over-tightened it as when I tried to remove the axle the handle unscrewed itself from the axle leaving the axle stuck in the frame. I managed to remove it at home by adding some loctite to the threads on the handle and ordered and fitted a new DT Swiss RWS E-Thru axle.

Here’s where it gets a bit odd – I was halfway around Nant Y Arian at the weekend and had a rear puncture and guess what, exactly the same thing happened with the new axle – the handle unscrewed itself from the axle. Managed to fix the puncture with the wheel still in the frame but it was a bit of a faff (note to self – get round to converting to tubeless!). I have loctited the new handle back on but haven’t tried to remove it yet while it sets.

I’m going to take it into a bike shop to look at it but in the meantime does anyone have any idea what could be causing this recurring issue? I greased the axle before I fitted it so it shouldn’t be seized? If the rear triangle was slightly out of square would that cause it? Problem with the hub? Could it be linked to the cones being loose originally?

Any advice would be appreciated…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Try removing the mech hanger bolt and refitting with the axle in place. I’ve seen some frames where a little rotation on the mech hanger can make the axle threads tight.

wwaswas

slightly misaligned rear end putting pressure on the drive side threads and making them tighter than the QR lever?

otsdr
    Free Member

The DT lever fits onto the axle on some deep splines, there’s no way the red cap can come undone when the splines are engaged.
    The only way the cap will unscrew is if has become stuck to the lever (gunk/oxidation) or if you are trying to undo the axle while pulling on the lever at the same time (and creating friction on the cap).

Is the lever flush with the red cap when you are trying to undo the axle? (as on the left side, as opposed to the right)

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions Onzadog and wwaswas, I’ll look into that…

otsdr – not sure if I’m mis-understanding you post. The whole handle unscrewed (without pressing the red cap). See below if it helps:

otsdr
    Free Member

Hmm, I don’t think that was ever supposed to happen :). Other than using the strongest Loctite available, there is not much that can be done.
    I would have expected the axle and the splines on the outside to be the same piece of aluminium.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Tell me about it!

I’m taking it into a shop tomorrow which is both a Giant and DT Swiss dealer so I’ll see what they say…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘12 x 142 E-Thru axle issue’ is closed to new replies.