Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 12 speed Eagle better than shimano 11 speed – which way to go?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Just about to get a new drive train.

Trying to decide if i should make the jump to Eagle GX or just stick with shimano XT/XTR

Always used shimano but the SRAM Eagle GX has had some great reviews

But that being said replacement of shimano gear is always so much cheaper and i can get some XTR parts for GX money

Which way to go?

solarider
    Free Member

I have been a long term Shimano fan. Think it is better made, lasts longer and just prefer the ‘feel’.

However, I fitted XO1 Eagle last year and have just built a bike with GX Eagle and I am a total convert. The gear range truly makes 1x usable whereas Shimano 1x struggles at the extremities.

Quality is also much improved and it just works. I do still miss the index finger shifting, but otherwise I wouldn’t go back to Shimano now.

There isn’t a bad choice to be made, and it is becoming difficult to compare XTR to GX for example, but for me SRAM just edges it on gear range.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Don’t forget to factor in a new rear hub/wheel build with the SRAM set up. I found the 1by11 Shimano too limiting and am going 2by11 (it’s all di2). But if I was starting from scratch I would probably go with the SRAM system.

orangespyderman

My Jeffsy has X01 Eagle on it.  In terms of range, it’s a joy, and the shifter feels good.  Never really got used to index finger shifting, so not really missing it.

Before that I was running 1x XT with the 11-46 cassette.  The cassette really wound me up because of the silly large jump :

11-(2t)-13-(2t)-15-(2t)-17-(2t)-19-(2t)-21-(3t)-24-(4t)-28-(4t)-32-(5t)-37-(9t!!!)-46

They basically made that cassette by taking the 11-42 and just putting a much bigger cog on.  That jump from 37 to 46 never ever felt right, and I regularly found myself wishing for something in between.  If you consider it a bailout gear, only for use in emergencies then the effective range of the cassette is even smaller.

If you can use a better cassette (the Sunrace MX8 seems to have more sensible ratios, and maybe an SRAM cassette would be an option) then there’s nothing really wrong with XT for 1x – but you’ll be a way off the range on Eagle and my experience has been very good indeed with the X01.  Can’t comment on GX – but very attractive price point.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There isn’t a bad choice to be made…

This.

Don’t forget to factor in a new rear hub/wheel build with the SRAM set up.

And this, if you go 1×12.

Personally I love Shimano and the dual-release on XT. But I’ve not ridden the new SRAM and understand it really is quite good at the moment.

mrmo
    Free Member

How desperate are you for a new drivechain, It may be worth waiting two weeks* and seeing what the new XTR looks like.

*normal practice seems to be launch at Sea Otter and ship mid summer.

zerolight
    Free Member

I ran Shimano for years, and even upgraded my last bike from 1×10 XT to 1×11 XT. For the past 3 years I’d switched from using the index finger shift to just push push with thumb instead as I felt that allowed me to keep my index finger over the brakes.

My new bike came with GX 1×11 and frankly there’s very little difference. I couldn’t tell you whether one is better than the other. But the GX is certainly snappy and accurate. I have no complaints. If I was buying a new drive train I’d absolutely go Eagle for the extra range.

That said, if you go Shimano, get the Sunrace 11-46 cassette – nicer range and steps than the Shimano and works really well with the XT long cage shifter.

rickmeister

Given the choice, I went with Eagle for the progressive range and past experience with GX 11 spd. Provides the best of both ends of the gear range and is proving reliable and durable. I had thought will 12 spd it would be fragile as there is a lot going on in a small space, but it managed a cold crappy winter, no problem.

XD driver on the hub is a positive change imho. No more chewed up splines and positive engagement as long as its all lubed up before fitting the cassette. Win all round for me.

lawman91

I’m a life long Shimano fanboi, but I have to say having owned X01 Eagle for over 18 months I wouldn’t go back to Shimano at the minute, they’re just behind the times in every area. The range isn’t as good and the ratios are stupid (I mean seriously, what were they thinking with the 11-46t cassette?!), the shift quality of the 11-speed XT I’ve owned and ridden on demo bikes has been poor, its clunky and heavy feeling and just generally not very nice. It honestly feels like Sram stuff used to, it felt rushed to market and under-developed, almost like they panicked and didn’t know how to respond to Sram’s new 11-speed groups at the time. Now Eagle is here I honestly cannot think of a single reason not to use it, its now cheap enough with GX, the shifting is spot on, mine has been faultlessly reliable, it has more range than I often know what to do with, it’s a genuinely brilliant groupset at any level, whether it be GX or X01/XX1.

vincienup
    Free Member

Generally agree with all the above.

Index finger shifting was pointless for me anyway as when mounted as my preference or even ispecc’d the brake lever blocked access to the trigger pull for me, so in practice both were push-push systems.

Shimano had fantastic quality in the 10sp era, but dropped the ball completely with 11sp and it’s all because of the design decisions around the cassette.  It’s just not as good as even the aftermarket never mind fully developed competition that was brave enough to choose a new freehub.

Maybe SeaOtter will bring new XTR, but that’ll still mean new XT next year. Shimano seem more in love with electronics right now.  Being completely fair, everyone who’s ridden di2 seems to agree that synchroshift 2x feels like 1x and is as reliable (but at greater cost, weight and complexity) so maybe it’s just that the two big S’s have very divergent visions for the future of MTB?

hot_fiat

My alpine came with Eagle.

I have a general dislike of SRAM stuff and was all set to be thoroughly peeved by it.

Its awesome. Wouldn’t look at anything else right now if i was building from scratch.

russyh
    Free Member

As a previous SRAM Hater…I’m converted!  I love my Eagle set up, its not perfect and has the usual SRAM Foibles but its much better than the latest 11 speed Shimano set ups.  In fact for me the lest iteration of Shimano kit is somewhat underwhelming.  There was no competition back in the 9 & 10 speed days but i really think Shimano have lost the plot of late.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Overwhelming love for Eagle.  GX it is.  Got the SRAM driver for my wheels so all ready to go.

As always thanks for the feedback

OLI

gribble
    Free Member

Oli,

I have also been convinced to go Eagle. I ordered a set but got nervous when I read up on seized pulley wheels etc. However, I got a good deal and am just going to replace them with some pulleys from uberbike.

the range does look very attractive. I have no experience of the 11 speed Shimano stuff, but was happy with 10 speed. However, to set it up with 11-42 felt like a bit of a fiddle (using a rad cage and sunrace cassette).

Have just seen a very good review in MBR, for what it is worth.

Northwind

I’m going to call it this way- 10 speed or earlier, Shimano. Single ring 11 or 12 speed, SRAM. My 11 speed Shimano bits are underwhelming at best, I’m just putting GX Eagle on a bike and everything about it feels nicer already. But more importantly, Shimano have half-assed it while SRAM have just gone ahead and done the gearing right. 11-46 is just absolute bullshit.

And that new BCD can **** off too.

sharkattack

I built my new bike with Shimano out of habit. I went for XT 11 speed and wish I’d gone with Eagle.

I have Hope Hubs so switching will be easy. When I’m due for a chain and cassette I’ll probably jump ship.

greavo

I had XT 1×11 on my FS which was close to worn out so I took the plunge and bought the Eagle GX groupset.  After one ride I found an excuse to buy one for my hardtail. It’s night and day better.

cogwomble
    Free Member

I put SRAM GX 11 with a shimano cassete (due to my driver) and I’m not sure I’d go back to Shimano now.

The cassete and chain were new (FSA Team chain from Planet X was a tenner, SLX cassette 11-42 from CRC), using the FSA Commet Mega Exo NW chainring that came stock (32T) on my Kona Unit (2017).

All that really puts me off the SRAM stuff is the cassette cost, but if some cheap wheels came up with an XD Driver, I’d get a GX cassette and be done.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘12 speed Eagle better than shimano 11 speed – which way to go?’ is closed to new replies.