Home Forums Bike Forum 12 speed cassette longevity

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 12 speed cassette longevity
  • bikerevivesheffield

SRAM gx Vs Shimano slx

Do SRAM last considerably longer in your experience

onehundredthidiot

Yes. I’ve a seam eagle on about 3500km on my enduro bike. Still going strong.

diggery
    Free Member

2900Km of mostly Peak District so far on my XT. New chain just fitted. No issues.

Never run SRAM though.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve got a SRAM GX Eagle cassette coming up to 3,000 miles. Chain changed at 2,000 miles when it hit 0.5% wear (measured with the Pedro’s chain checker SRAM recommend). Doesn’t miss a beat.

Lasting considerably longer than the Shimano XT 9, 10, and 11 speed stuff I ran for ten years prior.

nickingsley

I’ve always found SRAM longevity really good on trail and enduro bikes, if a bit pricey. However, on my Stage Evo I’ve been running a Shimano rear cassette and chain and just renewed the whole chainset after 2,600 miles largely riding in gritty loam. The 1st chain was KMC and the 2nd chain which had stretched way beyond 1% was Shimano and the shifting was still OK with … GX AXS.

I bought the GX AXS because I’d read about the quality and robustness of the gear changes which is exactly what I experienced. The noticeable increase in chainset longevity compared to previous Shimano experience was a bonus.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The slx on my emtb  did 2,500 miles (mostly in turbo as I did a fair bit of towing the kids in a trailer). I changed the chain once and it skipped on the lowest few cogs so I bought some new ones for 15 quid or so.

northernsoul

I can’t comment on the Eagle, but my SLX is still running ok after 3000 miles (with a mixture of bridleways/byways, trail centres and roads, including the slop last winter) – I’ve been quite impressed by its longevity. I’ve rotated between two chains (both XT) whilst it’s been on. When it stops running well I’ll probably replace the whole drivetrain.

alan1977
    Free Member

just binned my gx cassette at 2000 miles, chains were changed regularly, maybe 3 or 4 chains, this one had crept up to 1% stretch so it was game over anyway.

What i did fit in place, was a brand x 12 speed i grabbed from the wiggle sales, and i swear it shifts better than the super expensive gx cassette ever did…probably only last to the end of the road mind

devash
    Free Member

Just to add I’ve used a drip on wax-based lube (Squirt) exclusively with my SRAM Eagle drivetrain so that perhaps helps to add some longevity in comparison to wet lube.

coconut
    Free Member

SLX is fantastic these days, should be getting >3000km on a 12 speed cassette if cleaned and oiled well. I ordered a Deore 12 speed the other day and weighed it against a brand new SLX cassette, was surprised to see hardly any weight difference – SLX 520gms, Deore 530gms.

bikesandboots

That’s odd, Deore should be 60g heavier due to the biggest cog being steel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.