Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • £1000 road wheels
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

looking at upgrading the wheels on my road bike, budget ~£1000 (or just over).
    They will be used mainly for commuting (ahem;-) so will be using the B2W scheme – ruling out internet brands.

Any recommendations?
    Looking at a pair of FFWD 40mm deep carbon fibre rims/DT Swiss hubs for approx £1250. Non Disc wheels.

plus-one

I’d buy 2 pairs from here 🙂

Or 1 pair and save the rest for weekend away !!

http://oem.farsports.cn

alexnharvey
    Free Member

£1k Carbon wheels for commuting is both a bit of a waste and poorly suited to the purpose.

Bez

I thought this was going to be a “£1000 for a pair of wheels, WTF?!” type thread. I clearly don’t belong here.

£1k Carbon wheels for commuting is a bit of a waste.

It would be, but £1k carbon wheels for “commuting” is more like a bit of a tax dodge.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Carbon wheels for commuting, wtf

I think it was a tounge in cheek comment, implying bending of rules of the BTW scheme.. 🙃

thekingisdead
    Free Member

technically they would be ridden to work in the summer months, if I ride to work, its 50km each way – so I take my good bike 😀
    Hopefully that satisfies the rules of the B2W scheme.

Anyway…as you were….any recommendations?

pedlad

Watching with interest.

w00dster

All depends what you want from the wheels. Have a look at the Hambini Blog. I can’t get you the URL as its blocked from my work laptop. (Google Hambini Aero Wheels Test)
    In STW tradition recommend what you have….
    Reynolds Strike 62mm Deep Carbon Rim Brake. According to the internet they are 1635 grams which is competitive for such a deep rim.
    I also have 40mm Vision Metron. Personally if you wanted a “fast” wheel, then I’d not bother with a 40mm rim. I’d be looking at 55 or more. But if you like the aesthetics of a 40mm, then the FF 40mm would be fine. I always think that a 40/45mm on a non aero frame looks better than a deep rim. Where as on a fairly aero frame or aggressively set up road bike, 55/65 looks better and also performs that bit better.
    I also had the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 (35mm) depth. Braking was very good on these, much better than my Reynolds. 1600 grams so again not a bad weight.
    So….If you wanted a fast wheel, tubeless and wanted to run the fastest tyre, then something like the Reynolds 60/65mm depth.
    Looks on for example a Defy or a Domane, then 40mm looks better. Some of the F4Rs can be quite colourful, I presume you’ve checked to make sure it matches your frame?

njee20
    Free Member

I commute on carbon wheels, all my road wheels are carbon. Meh.

I’d look at Hunt, £100 under budget, available through LBSs, light. Job jobbed.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah in other news I’m trying to justify a £3k FS MTB for commuting, over kill? Nah there’s some massive kerbs between here and home.

kirk92
    Free Member

I got the Roval CL 50 for just under £1k in a Black Friday deal. One or two places have them for 1200 at the mo. Seem really good for the money, wide, tubeless, and decent weight.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I commute on carbon wheels, all my road wheels are carbon. Meh.

I’d look at Hunt, £100 under budget, available through LBSs, light. Job jobbed.

Same here. Been commuting on a set of carbon Hunt wheels for the past couple of years with no issues.

Cant see the point in commuting on a shitty bike with shitty wheels when I’ve got nice ones in the garage.

w00dster

Depends how secure your bike storage area is. Mine is left at the station. More than happy using a “station bike” that if it gets stolen isn’t going to be anything more than a pain in the backside. Wouldn’t dream of leaving my good bike or wheels at the station.

TiRed

What have you got at the moment? I’m a big fan of HED wheels. A pair of JET6’s woul dbe a nice upgrade. And you’ll be able to stop.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends how secure your bike storage area is. Mine is left at the station. More than happy using a “station bike” that if it gets stolen isn’t going to be anything more than a pain in the backside. Wouldn’t dream of leaving my good bike or wheels at the station.

No, but we can assume the OP is happy with whatever storage solutions are provided, so it’s a bit moot.

I worry about the security of storage here (keycode access mesh ‘shed’ on a publicly accessible avenue behind our building, in Central London), but life’s too short for shit bikes, and they’re insured.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Work storage – Nato restricted site with camera’s, proximity sensors on fences etc.
    Happy to take the risk on my decent road bike 🙂

Currently riding Novatec Jetfly. Really happy with them, but fancy a bit of bling.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Hunt wheels – I didn’t know they were available through LBS’s – went on the website and could purchase direct so assumed they were an internet brand?

alanw2007

I’ve got the much older versions of these Dura Ace wheels on my best bike. 50,000 km and they still roll smoothly, deep enough to feel the difference especially at speed, and a metal brake track for consistent quiet braking. I’d get the same again.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/en/shimano-dura-ace-r9100-c60-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod155061

njee20
    Free Member

Hunt wheels – I didn’t know they were available through LBS’s – went on the website and could purchase direct so assumed they were an internet brand?

My LBS does them, Sigma Sport list them, definitely available ‘offline’ too.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Yep, my LBS does them too (Cheshire Cycles, in Warrington if you’re in NW?)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are those DA the ones with the brake track that lasts no time? (albeit perhaps longer than carbon).

And £1k on wheels, world gone mad etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Cheap, innit. Barely buys you one Enve rim.

All the DA rims do have rather thin brake tracks, the WH-7900CLs or whatever they were called brought that to the fore because they were really light and well priced, so lots of people bought them, then discovered they’re light because there’s not much metal in the rim. Not really a failing of the product, just a wider number of people discovering a compromise with lightweight rims.

A bit like when Hope introduced the Pro 2, the number of “my cassette’s eaten my freehub” threads went up 5000%, but only because more people suddenly had aluminium freehubs!

MrSmith
    Free Member

DT 240s handbuilts on whatever really nice rim takes your fancy. Boyd Altamont, DT, HED, Pacenti, light bicycle etc

avoid the new mavic open pro as the sidewalls are very thin

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m tempted with Hunt at the moment or the HopeRD 40’s – similar (claimed) weight to Hunt but with blingy hubs and brass nipples so more robust than alloy.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

To the haterz – £1k on wheels is of course an insane amount of money. But will cost,e £600 over 12 months. Which is practically free 😁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Anyone who is considering Hunts, if read the Hambini aero test data and comments

beej

Interesting read, that test. Thanks for posting!

Generally deeper is better, which you’d expect, but there are a few outliers – the Bontragers seem to do well for their depth, and the Hunts fairly poorly. Most of the others conform pretty much, and it’s worth noting the scale is 1w increments so may of them are within a handful of watts of each other.

fossy

Best wheels I had were DA hubs with Wolber 18mm aero rims, took 18mm tubulars too. Amazing TT tyres. They whistled to you.

Still got the rims in my garage – they were crap for braking as there was no braking surface at all. The pads just caught a tiny part of the rim (had regular wheels for non TT riding)

trail_rat
    Free Member

They sound great….

No wait the other one shite.

Interesting link to the hambini test.

That’s my rear disk/planet x 80 justified -knew they were faster than anything I’d ever ridden but it’s nice to have numbers.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Can you confirm that you can get a set of wheels on the B2W scheme? How are these classified under the scheme? Fancy a set of Hunt Gravel wheels…!

mboy
    Free Member

Reynolds AR41, the new version of the Assault… Been running the last generation Assaults for a few years now, they’re awesome! Stiff, light, strong… Yup, all of those, and tubeless ready! Only criticism is the wet braking, but that’s the same for any carbon rim braked wheels I’ve ridden.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Badgerbater – Parts and accessories are now allowed on the scheme (without buying a new bike)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only criticism is the wet braking, but that’s the same for any carbon rim braked wheels I’ve ridden.

How bad, and how quickly do they wear out?

freeagent
    Free Member

Can you confirm that you can get a set of wheels on the B2W scheme? How are these classified under the scheme? Fancy a set of Hunt Gravel wheels…!

I just picked up a set of wheels from my LBS on the C2W scheme – Pacenti rims on Hope hubs.
    The scheme allows you to buy parts and safety equipment.

finbar
    Free Member

Friend of mine with an exhaustive appetite for ‘consumer research’ considered this ad infinitum, and ended up with a pair of Reynolds for about £1200. Apparently they compare very favourably with the Zipps on his other bike.

On this though

but life’s too short for shit bikes

I’m very much of the opinion that life is too short to clean and maintain my commuter, which is why I ride a 1998 Trek 820 I bought for £20 on eBay to work (daily commute though, and it’s more like 5 miles than 50km…).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only criticism is the wet braking, but that’s the same for any carbon rim braked wheels I’ve ridden.

How bad, and how quickly do they wear out?

Carbon rims ime Used with the right pads seem to last well….

but then they also howl and have poor braking coefficient even with the fancy pads + heat up on long DH.

I went disk with my carbon wheels on my good road bike

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Apparently they compare very favourably with the Zipps on his other bike.

Zipp don’t seem to come out that well according to the Hambini test considering their price. Better off with some Light Bicycle wheels and saving your dosh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went disk with my carbon wheels on my good road bike

Good to know. Not worth the cost for me, I’d gain weight too.

Basically I’m still on the *£1k for wheels WTF” unless it’s taking time off events that you are competitive at.

But I am old.

njee20
    Free Member

But surely by extension we’d all be fine on a £50 Viking road bike with bar end shifters?

Nice things are nice to ride. Whether you’re riding against the clock, just trying to ride as fast as you can or bimbling to work. Wheels make a quite a big difference to how a bike ‘feels’ (probably moreso than data supports), and if you’re not competing that’s a big thing, so I’d argue that ironically you’re better off buying nice wheels if you’re not competing. Less likely to get them trashed too.

The Hambini data is certainly interesting, I’m amused/bemused by the contact from FLO’s lawyers. Very odd.

Garry_Lager

The Hambini data is certainly interesting, I’m amused/bemused by the contact from FLO’s lawyers. Very odd.

I’ve not followed that exchange closely, cos it’s a 60+ page thread, but the FLO bloke categorically denied instructing that letter Hambini stuck up, and I doubt he’d be fibbing over a verifiable matter of fact like that. So could be a hoax.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘£1000 road wheels’ is closed to new replies.