Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • 100% Dangerous Idiots
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

but the issues in England always crop up in extremely heavy traffic areas like the Rivy/Peaks/Lakes and whilst I'll admit there will be some areas in Scotland with these visitor numbers the PPM (persons per mile 🙂 ) of trail will be far lower.

the Peak District alone gets over 45 million day visits a year whereas Scotland gets around a quarter of that number of visits

Is there a gradual shift amongst "proper" MTBers…about riding on FP though?
    Nothing gradual, I've always done it.

Del

I suspect Scottish riders are more courteous as well

do wind your neck in.
    would you describe those you rode with on the quantocks as discourteous types, or are we 'south westerners' excluded?

robdob
    Free Member

I'm guessing there's very very few people on here who can honestly say that they never ever ride FPs…

[soapbox]
    I assume I'll get flamed for having a "holier than thou" attitude, but I don't care. I never, ever, ride on footpaths and would never consider doing so. I remember getting abuse and threats riding in the Peaks 20 years ago on legitimate bridleways. Lots of walkers did not like the cyclists and I was determined never to antagonise them, as it would only make the situation worse.
    There isn't, IMHO, ever a reason to ride on a footpath unless, maybe, you are lost and really don't know where you are or possibly a medical emergency (although the footpaths tend to be slower so this probably wouldn't happen anyway).
    If in a few years time we have lots of sanctions and law changes which severly limit where we can ride in the UK, I hope you FP riders will be happy that you've done your part.
    Riding along an illegal footpath (i.e. one that isn't a permissive bridleway as may the case in some places) is selfish, arrogant, disrespectful and self-defeating.
    If you think a FP should be BW then lobby whoever you need to and go down the proper channels. The countryside isn't there just to serve you and your bike, it's for everyone.

[/soapbox]

miketually
    Free Member

If in a few years time we have lots of sanctions and law changes which severly limit where we can ride in the UK, I hope you FP riders will be happy that you've done your part.

Remind me how the footpaths came into being in the first place?

Riding along an illegal footpath (i.e. one that isn't a permissive bridleway as may the case in some places) is selfish, arrogant, disrespectful and self-defeating.

There's no such thing as an "illegal footpath". A footpath protects walkers' rights to access that route; it does not make it illegal to ride a bike there.

enfht
    Free Member

Stay on the road.

Keep clear of the moors.

Beware the moon, lads.

hora
    Free Member

I was block and harassed on Cavedale not so long back. I just shrugged at them, said nothing and carried on. I was in the right but what would I gain by becoming shouty etc?

I have (rarely) ridden on footpath's. If someone objected or I could see a situation developing I'd LEAVE THAT FOOTPATH WELL ALONE.

Simples.

orangefive
    Free Member

I do a lot of riding up rivvi and would love to catch these doing this sort of stuff. If its not nails then just where the stone path starts they push the grass over and put rocks down in the hope you will come off. There is a difference between not liking people sharing these locations on bikes and potentially injuring people an their livelyhoods etc.

They put stones across the bit at the start of where you go over to great hill and turn left to lead miners aswell. Some miserable fekkers about.

robdob
    Free Member

an "illegal to ride on" footpath as oppossed to a "legal to ride on footpath" which a permissive bridleway following the same line as a FP would be.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

What a load of crap the English law is! A throw back to feudal w*nkers who had nothing better to do than annoy the oiks! I love that in Scotland I can go where I want when I want and noone can say nything about it. All this searching out paths, and "ooohh can I ride there or can I not?" would put you off biking completely!

Coyote
    Free Member

I know the area very well. They guy who plants them is a grade A nut case.

May I ask why no action has been taken against him, either by reporting him to the rangers or directly having a word?

miketually
    Free Member

an "illegal to ride on" footpath as oppossed to a "legal to ride on footpath" which a permissive bridleway following the same line as a FP would be.

But it's not illegal to ride a bike on a footpath.

"If you think a FP should be BW then lobby whoever you need to and go down the proper channels."

Does this work ?
    Can you give some examples of footpaths that have been changed to bridleways in this way ?

lowey

May I ask why no action has been taken against him

To the best of my knowledge, no-one does know who he is, but his actions are known. The Caltrop thing cropped up about 3 years ago and it was investigated, might have been the runner incident that Footstomper mentioned.

As for access on the footpaths. I don't give a toss what anyone says, I'll ride them as I see fit and have done since 1985.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Del – Member

"I suspect Scottish riders are more courteous as well"

do wind your neck in.
    would you describe those you rode with on the quantocks as discourteous types, or are we 'south westerners' excluded?

Not meant like that at all. A decent bunch you all were. apologies if it sounded like that. Some even on this thread

However there are often discussions of conflict between walkers and MTBers on here where the MTBers appear to have been discourteous at best.

robdob
    Free Member

So what if its not technically "illegal" (yes I know it would be a civil matter), the blatant disregard for rights of way access will still have the same effect down the line.

Pook

Can you give some examples of footpaths that have been changed to bridleways in this way ?

Militant Graham, send me an e-mail, I've got some stuff for you on this
    point

toys19
    Free Member

This whole thread is very amusing given the what to shout at pedestrians thread here. Some people her are blatantly contradicting their own posts on that thread.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Some people here are blatantly contradicting their own posts on that thread.

Makes a change eh 😆

However there are often discussions of conflict between walkers and MTBers on here where the MTBers appear to have been discourteous at best.

If you judged the courtesy of MTBers by threads here you'd get a very negative opinion of 'us' 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If that is aimed at me its a very different situation and I shout to warn them not to abuse them. Someone steps out in front of me – "Look out" loudly. A walker on a path infront of me "ding ding" "May I squeeze past please?" – "thank you"

However don't let the truth get in the way of your stalking of me you sad pair. Jeezo your lives must be dull

duntstick
    Free Member

All this fuss when clearly a proper ard northern fell runner has left his running sandals at the side of the trail 🙄

(edit; oops, did I interrupt a tiff!)

hilldodger
    Free Member

TJ, why do always assume that anyone makes a slightly sarcastic remark is 'stalking you' ?

As for a dull life, well you're either being gratuitously insulting (which from a zen-master of politeness and professional cheek-turner isn't really 'on message') and/or making assumptions (and posting them) on something about which you know nothing.

So what is it Jeremy, insult or ignorance ❓

miketually
    Free Member

So what if its not technically "illegal" (yes I know it would be a civil matter), the blatant disregard for rights of way access will still have the same effect down the line.

The current rights of way laws came about due to a mass trespass.

A new bridleway can be 'created' by riding a visible track for 25(?) years without anyone attempting to make it known that the landowner objects. Riding a public footpath would/could have the same effect.

Del

TJ – understood, thankyou. 😉

on another point i'm not sure that i accept we shouldn't ride footpaths. as has been mentioned, walkers got their right of access through methods that were contrary to the law, and another example that might be worth considering is the problem of access for kayakers. the BCU have long preached an approach of appeasement wrt anglers and landowners, which in many cases has left them with very little access to some rivers, and only now that they are taking a more, shall we say, proactive stance are they seeing headway being made.

toys19
    Free Member

Ohh the irony.

footstomper
    Free Member

😯 I never thought my thread would start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of where to ride, I was just trying to warn people against injuring themselves.
    Whether we are right or wrong for using said footpath, we or anyone else should not have some nutcase put our lives in danger because they do not agree with people riding along on what they probably think is their own private walkway.

surfer
    Free Member

Crazylegs definition +1

miketually
    Free Member

i'm not sure that i accept we shouldn't ride footpaths

Indeed. It could be said that we owe it to future generations to ride footpaths, and other not-bridleways, now, so future generations can have their access rights protected.

As an example, our local council were going to build a bike path along a council-owned field that separated a housing estate from a river. As part of this, they were going make the 'spurs' coming off this path and into the housing estate pedestrian-only, with gates to enforce this. When I pointed out that I'd regularly ridden my bike down these access paths since the estate was built 27 years ago, so could apply to have them designated as bridleways, they changed their plans.

miketually
    Free Member

I never thought my thread would start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of where to ride

New around here? 🙂

A new bridleway can be 'created' by riding a visible track for 25(?) years without anyone attempting to make it known that the landowner objects

Is that right ?
    I've been riding the footpath along the River Severn near where I live for almost that long. How do I go about getting it upgraded to a Bridleway ?

nbt

Is that right ?
    I've been riding the footpath along the River Severn near where I live for almost that long. How do I go about getting it upgraded to a Bridleway ?

Speak to your local ROW officer. Get in touch with your local IMBA and CTC rep too

miketually
    Free Member

Is that right ?

Contact the council ROW department.

"In England and Wales, a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway may be expressly dedicated by the owner as a public right of way. Furthermore, unchallenged use by the public, as of right, for at least 20 years, may give rise to a presumption of dedication under Section 31 of the Highways Act 1980. A presumption of dedication may arise under common law after any appropriate period of time." – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_of_way_in_England_and_Wales#Creation_of_new_public_rights_of_way

Basically, if the owner of the land hasn't ever challenged access, by erecting signs for example, it is presumed that they wish to dedicate the path.

You sometimes see signs stating that although access isn't being prevented by the landowner this does not constitute a dedication. We have these locally on a well-used path through the local hospital, and on some cyclepaths on council land (those are usually to stop horses riding them).

project
    Free Member

The Wirral Way last year, almost box full of Tacks spread on the sustrans trails, repeated punctures by cyclists and i believe some damaged dogs.

Year before somebody putting down poisoned meat forr the dogs, killed a few i believe.

A trail in the clwyds, always seems to have various braches across the trail usually on a corner.

I blame the squirrels.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

A wise man, who has an arse photo fetish, once told me that "As for 'legality', the common law allows one to go where one wishes so long as there is no criminal intent or breaking in, and most land 'ownership' is the result of theft from the common wealth by the enclosures (or former robber barons) so I'd not take the protests of landowners too seriously, never mind that the nail setter is a 3rd party with no rights in the matter."

lowey

Anyway,

We'll keep our eyes peeled and give him a good twatting if we see him.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

vandalism & putting people at risk of serious injury, I hope I would have the foresight to get my phone out and take some pictures of the culprits if I came across anything the OP showed.

Is TJ telling us all how we all ought to behave when we come across walker's, very presumptuous to think a lot of mtbers are guilty of abuse to walkers, in my experience its to the contrary, walker being rude and abusive to mtbers and on bridleways or designated mtb trails in trails centres.

I am often shocked my their behaviour I am just wide mouthed and aghast, I point out the dangers rather than give them a mouthful, its dog walkers who don't keep any control over there pets that will get a telling off.

IanMunro
    Free Member

robdob seems very angry, has someone stolen his red socks?

Bregante

We'll keep our eyes peeled and give him a good twatting if we see him

😆

Andituk
    Free Member

I've often wondered about organizing a two wheeled mass tresspass. Same place as the original, get the press involved, and campaign for the scottish system to be introduced here.

wors

robdob seems very angry, has someone stolen his red socks?

i think he sound like a cock.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘100% Dangerous Idiots’ is closed to new replies.