• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cooie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 10 speed chains – Buy cheap, buy twice?
  • sandwicheater

Any recommendations for solid/cheap 10 speed MTB chain?

Went 1×10 last November and chain (SRAM PC1091R 10 Speed Hollow Pin) is starting to wear. Kind of wish I didn’t get the chain wear tool, ignorance was bliss.

Looking for something cheap but it’s a mine field of options and my chain knowledge is next to nothing. Not fussed about weight but don’t wont to get cheap/buy twice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s nearly 9 months, I’d say that IS cheap?

LS
    Free Member

KMC X10. 73s if you don’t mind grey or 93s if you like shiny. Generally can be found on offer for less than £15, just stock up and change often (a lot more often than 9 months…).

neilwheel
    Free Member

KMC shiny too

llatsni
    Free Member

1091R is the best 10-speed chain out there.

I’ve never had one fail even when very well worn. Can’t say that for XTR unfortunately.

Wiggle have them at a good price at the moment.

sandwicheater

Yeah, will be keeping a closer eye on the chain in future. Have always been a fit/forget chap but swapping drive train to a new frame and need a longer chain.

Spotted the KMC chains but as I’d never heard of the company was suspicious.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting question as I’d always been lead to understand that in terms of material strength and wear resistance, they were much of a muchness. The extra money pays for fancy finishes, hollow pins, cuts in side plates and improved riveting methods.

However, I’ve always favoured shiny and Sachs – sedis – sram chains.

spawnofyorkshire

KMC x10-93 and x9-93 here, dead easy to fit and just keep going
    can usually find them for about £12 on ebay

nedrapier

I’ve been happy with the Selcof one I got from P-X/O-O. Nothing bad has happened in 800 odd miles on and off road. Hardly conclusive, not got the chainchecker out either.

isitafox
    Free Member

KMC make great chains, they’re pretty much the only brand of chain we use in bike trials and are great quality!

motozulu
    Free Member

KMC here too X10-93. Dead easy to fit and haven’t failed me yet.

honourablegeorge

What makes a chain “dead easy to fit” compared to other chains?

Just curious, as two of you have said it.

jimc101
    Free Member

Got a Selcof chain really cheap from Planet X a few months ago, a few thousand Audax KM later it’s still working well.

deadkenny
    Free Member

KMC. Far less chain snapping than SRAM.

The ‘wear’ is much the same with any chain but with KMC you can run it to destruction and it won’t fall apart early. Yes it’s two fingers up to Park Tools and their backhander they must get from chain companies for producing their chain checker 😉 , but I go on the basis that replacing chains three times by changing them early when they are still perfectly good, doesn’t “save” the cassette. It lasts just as long in my experience over three chains as running one chain to death. The reason for the early change of chain really is because cassettes mesh with the current wear of chain but are less happy with new ones. Let it run and it won’t work with new ones any more, but it’s still perfectly fine with the old chain. If the old chain isn’t dead, why change it?

That’s my current experimental theory anyway, and so far it’s working. A year on the current cassette and chain and seems fine. Not snapped chain. KMC.

Ps. Add to the mix… Squirt lube. Constantly shiny chain, possibly less grinding grit damage.

warpcow
    Free Member

Previous experience of SRAM was that they wore out quicker than anything else. Shimano snapped. Now I use either Connex or KMC, whichever is cheapest when it comes time to buy. I’m also of the deadkenny school of thought when it comes to changing chains/running it into the ground.

welshfarmer

Bike-discount.de have the 1091 chains for £23 which is cheaper than CRC do the 1071

oxym0r0n

+1 kmc x10

Northwind

sandwicheater – Member

Spotted the KMC chains but as I’d never heard of the company was suspicious.

KMC make most Shimano chains, fwiw. They do me well (X10-93 usually) though they’re not quite as good a deal as the 9-speeds usually were. Come with a powerlink too.

Having said that I think I’ve got 105 chains on both bikes just now as they were silly cheap.

Rio

KMC X10-93 has always been long lasting for me but CRC have KMC X10-73s for £11.99, which seems good value if you don’t need shiny.

sandwicheater

Rio, £12 is perfect. New frame and need slightly longer chain or I would have just used the old one.

cooie
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chains – Buy cheap, buy twice?’ is closed to new replies.