Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 x 9 changing to 1 x 10 is it worth it
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m needing a new chain and cassette and started thinking of going to 1 x 10, and replace my 9 speed set up , I’m running a 34 front and 32-11 rear, I was thinking of going to a 36 front and 36-11 rear is it worth while ? I’m thinking I need a chain and cassette so now would be a time to change mech and shifter and a new ring up front, probably XT and an e-13 ring. My bike is an Orange/Strange 5 and I ride a mix of trail centres and natural trails.

charliedontsurf

I would not bother.
    9 is more than enough

takisawa2

I was toying with the idea. Advantage to me would be 36t cassette, so easier climbing gear (32-36). Only equates to something like 0.0625 in ratio advantage, & seeing as my 9spd gear is in good health I decided to keep as is for now.

cruzer
    Free Member

I upgraded my 9-speed set up to 10-speed on my tracer. Running a 34t on the front with a 12-36t on the rear. works ideal for me. in my opinion its definately worth the upgrade as your giving yourself an extra gear, and a bigger ‘escape’ gear.

Been toying with the idea of putting a 36t up the front, and since my 34t is on the way out that will be my next move.

But at the end of the day, its all down to personal preference.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve been considering this as I need a new cassette, chain and chainring.
    only thing is the cost – will need a new shifter and rear mech (I think).
    I could pass down the 9-speed to my other bike which is currently 8-speed.
    I rarely need anything less than 34-34, but sometimes I wish I had a little bit of a lower gear when I ride somewhere new and don’t know how steep or long stuff is going to be.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m thinking it will give me benfits in climbing and a higher top speed on the level or fire roads, you can spin out quite quickly with my current set up.

johnners
    Free Member

1 x 9 changing to 1 x 10 is it worth it

Of course not.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Well, placed my order for a new 10 speed drive train,for my 1 x 10 set up.

Xt medium cage , XT 11-36 cassette, XT RH shifter, XT chain, and an E-13 36 ring. I think it will give me a better climbing gear and a higher top gear, running 34 front 11-32 rear at the moment. 😀
    my current chain and cassette are shot.

vikingboy
    Free Member

having done this last year (36×11-34) -> (36×11-36) I dont think it was worth the cost. If your gear is worn out and you need to replace then do it, 10sp hasnt been any less reliable and the extra cassette range is nice, but not worth junking a perfectly good 9sp setup for IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

Answer is that it depends. If you find your current ratios too far apart and/or need a bigger range then yes it might be worth it. Otherwise probably not.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Let you know if my shifter ever turns up 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ll more than likely go from 9 to 10 speed when i need a new cassette, as it’s just not worth ditching a near new set up

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 changing to 1 x 10 is it worth it’ is closed to new replies.