Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 1 x 10 (or whatever) Set up
  • jim1970

Thinking about losing the triple chain ring up front when I replace my old transmission in the spring.

Is there a 1 x 10 solution that isn’t a bodge of different bits and costs less than £200. Or failing that a place where I can buy a ready made kit?

Had a look but came away a bit confused… which isn’t unusual for me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

CRC do them in groupsets but i think if you want narrow wide you end up with various makers on your set up

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/groupsets?f=2258

jim1970

Yeah I saw them on chain reaction but wasn’t sure.

The narrow wide thing sounds the way to go but Shimano don’t do that do they?

shortcut

A lot depends what you are starting with.

Assuming 3×10.
    Buy a Narrow wide ring from hope or race face and some short bolts.
    Maybe a short or medium cage rear mech with clutch.
    Cassette and chain.
    If on 9 sped you’ll need a shifter too.

jim1970

I’m just going to replace everything (cranks cassette, shifter, chain, mech). It’s all years old and due for retirement.

Was going to replace bit by bit but that usually causes more problems than it solves.

maxtorque

Define “Bodge”?? Plenty of mix ‘n max drivetrain stuff works really well! I’ve got xx1 cranks + 30T Narrow/Wide driving back down a KNC chain into an XTR cassette, with a One up 42T big ring, and an XTR derailleur with Radcage doing the shifty bits. Works perfectly. Substitute some more basic components (SLX etc) and you’d get pretty much the same thing, with just a bit less bling, for your £200ish

Scapegoat

Deore triple 9 speed chainset £48 (remove and eBay the chainrings)
    Bolt on a Superstar components IO chainring £26
    Onza alloy singlespeed chainring bolts £6
    Deore shadow plus mech medium cage £28
    Zee 10 speed shifter £15
    XT 11-36 cassette £32
    One-up expander 42t cog and 16t cog £42.50 on eBay
    Oneup RAD cage optional but optimum. (£23)
    £220.50

You don’t actually need the RAD cage, but it’s better setup with it on.

ratherbeintobago

Deore triple 9 speed chainset £48 (remove and eBay the chainrings)

OP – have you not got a triple crank already?

dbcooper
    Free Member

yeah I don’t think you need 10 speed specific cranks if you are going 1x so keep the original cranks

Mech 43.99
    Shifter 14.99
    Chain10.99
    NW HCainring (30t, 104bcd for me) 36.99
    Cassette 32.49

=£139.45

You could get this even cheaper, ie cheaper NW, poss cheaper mech, poss cheaper cassette, but I like the option chosen. Scapegoats prcing up there is cheaper but I can’t find all the things he has listed for the prices he has quoted…

Optional Radr Cage and Extender sprocket adds £96 on to this to give a grand total of 235.45 and you get to bin your front mech forever!!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Zee Mech
    Saint Shifter
    RadR cage
    OneUp 42t
    XT cassette
    NW Ring
    Chain

sandwicheater

Save yourself some cash at the start and keep the cranks, been rocking mine for almost a decade from 3×9 and now 1×10.

st

Do you think you need a sprocket larger than 36T? A lot of people don’t bother (myself included) and as said above it avoids spending up to another £100. You can always just buy an 11-36 XT cassette and if you find it doesn’t suit buy the extender cog and cage later.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

is there a UK seller of the RAD cage, or is it a US order?

edhornby

do you really need the clutch mech ? I’m not gnar in any way

I’ve got a SRAM X7 on my bike and I’m thinking about doing 1×9 on the cheap

Scapegoat

Scapegoats prcing up there is cheaper but I can’t find all the things he has listed for the prices he has quoted…

Chainset from chain reaction. The 9 speed is cheaper than the 10 speed
    SS ring from superstar
    Onza chainring bolts on eBay
    Deore clutch mech 28 at CRC, no med cage available but SLX is, for about a fiver more
    Zee shifter CRC
    XT 11-36 at CRC
    One Up cog from eBay …. got one a couple of weeks ago and the seller has them back in stock
    RAD cage from One Up. $35 USD plus $1.99 postage showed up as £25 on my bill
    8)

Scapegoat

is there a UK seller of the RAD cage, or is it a US order?

You order it from their site (click “International” on the front page.) Pricing and postage is in USD, but mine was despatched from a UK address and arrived in a couple of days.

ratherbeintobago

@Scapegoat – there is really no need to buy new cranks unless they are goosed.

Scapegoat

@Scapegoat – there is really no need to buy new cranks unless they are goosed.

It all depends what cranks he has currently though doesn’t it. He hasn’t told us.

jim1970 – Member
    I’m just going to replace everything (cranks cassette, shifter, chain, mech). It’s all years old and due for retirement.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Scapegoat, thanks, great. Links?

br
    Free Member

Rather than the One-Up 42T that requires a new mech cage, go with a Hope T-rex 40T and they supply a longer B screw which means you can just use a medium caged mech.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just get the 1×10 XT bundle from CRC and something like the SLX triple crankset which will include a new BB for £69.49. Sell the SLX rings.

Job. Done.

Choose the 30 tooth chainring option if you need, that way you don’t need to worry about RAD cages and extender cogs, etc.

jim1970

Wow just checked back and surprised to see so much activity.

Thanks for the great responses everyone (especially Scapegoat). I hadn’t thought about keeping the cranks, I’ll definitely do that. They’re old Shimano Hone cranks. I assume that’ll be OK.

I’ll check out the options later tonight and make a shopping list. I’ll post it back here for a quick check in case I do anything stupid but I should be OK given the detailed responses.

Thanks again all.

davewalsh
    Free Member

do you really need the clutch mech ? I’m not gnar in any way

Not IMO. I’m using a Superstar IO ring on my Soul with 9sp XT everything else. Haven’t dropped the chain yet in 6 months use.

toofarwest

I’ve just gone 1×10 on the hardtail, XT mech, shifter and 11-36 cassette. Blackspire NW 32 tooth ring on existing triple cranks with eThirteen shims and a new chain.
    No expander cog yet but I have the option if I want to fit one later (and it’s been ok so far)

Scapegoat

Chainset (no longer required) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod40496

Shifter http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=shimano+zee+m640+1x10sp+trigger+shifter&cat=product

Cassette http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m771-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod52281

SLX shadow plus
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83164

Superstar IO rings http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

Onza Chainring bolts on eBay. This computer won’t let me go on eBay, but the seller is Onza21962. £4.99 plus £1.50 p&p

Likewise, 6877dennis eBay member still has a couple of 42 Oneup cogs left at £42.50

RAD cage http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/all-products/products/rad-cage

And yes, your Hone cranks are 104 BCD, you just need to remove the granny and outer rings, and swap the middle one for the IO chainring, using the Singlespeed chainring bolts.

Scapegoat

Rather than the One-Up 42T that requires a new mech cage, go with a Hope T-rex 40T and they supply a longer B screw which means you can just use a medium caged mech

If you do go this route, the eBay seller has some 40t Oneup cogs, but you need an 11-34 cassette for correct shifting, not 11-36. It will still work better with a RAD cage, according to internet wisdom (and marketing!)

docrobster
    Free Member

Rather than the One-Up 42T that requires a new mech cage, go with a Hope T-rex 40T and they supply a longer B screw which means you can just use a medium caged mech

If you do go this route, the eBay seller has some 40t Oneup cogs, but you need an 11-34 cassette for correct shifting, not 11-36. It will still work better with a RAD cage, according to internet wisdom (and marketing!)

Do you? I’ve added a hope 40t to my 11-36 on the hardtail and it works perfectly with zee fr mech. No need to even lengthen the chain or adjust the b screw.

Scapegoat

I take it all back . I had it in the back of my mind that they didn’t work well one way round or the other. A check on Oneup’s blurb shows they recommend both for 11-36, and don’t mention 11-34, so I’ll have to score that one as a miss on my part. It may have been another brand, but someone was selling one on here because the combination didn’t shift properly. E thirteen perhaps?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

After further thought if i wanted most bang for buck I would.

SLX+ GS Mech £32.37
    XT Cassette 11-36 £31.56
    SLX Chain £13.71
    Sainter shifter £29.94

From Bike Discount total £107.58

OneUp 42t cog from ebay £42.50
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Oneup-Components-42t-Cassette-Sprocket-16t-/331442849598?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4d2b88873e

OneUp rad cage £24

NW chainring £26

Total £200

jim1970

Right, I’ve bookmarked the thread and will buy bits as I can afford them over the next couple of months.

Thanks to everyone for their input, a very useful thread for anyone considering the same upgrade.

Jim.

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

Superstar are the cheapest narrow wide ring and the quality is very good , usually run 34 t never had issues £24.99 good choice of colours

kayla1
    Free Member

We’ve both got SRAM 1×9 on our bikes with standard X9 rear mechs but we do both use a bottom chain roller thinger. I’ve got a Blackspire doofer on my bike which cost about £25 I think and Chris made the one on his bike for about a fiver. Cheap as chips and they both work well 😀 I don’t think I’d go without some kind of tensioner on the chain to keep it on the chainring though 😕

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 (or whatever) Set up’ is closed to new replies.