• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1 x 10 chainring options with no guide?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Right
    I’m going to be going 1 x 10 very soon and don’t really want to use a chain guide. What are my options for rings? Looking for a 32T 104BCD
    XT M785 Chainset
    XT M786 Clutch Mech

On the list of possibles:
    e13
    Renthal SR4
    Hope Single/DH
    Works (although they don’t seem to know when they’ll be available)
    Wolftooth (USA tho)

Any tips or missing options?

theflatboy
    Free Member

This is becoming the latest never ending topic – isn’t the exact same question already on this page?

stevied
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you. Hadn’t seen that thread. Must make sure I check every thread in future…

jonxmack
    Free Member

You forgot Absolute Black

http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html

I am running XX1 cranks with an X0 short cage rear mech (not type 2) and I’ve not dropped a chain yet, it’s only been out on 2 rides so far though.

Northwind

It’s an awkward thing to search for to be fair. XX1, Wolftooth, Works, Raceface and Absolute Black all have suitable thick/thin chainrings.

IME anything else is a total waste of time, I can’t ride a mile with a standard single ring and a clutch mech but no device without dropping the chain on barely-lumpy trails, but the magic chainrings work better than I’d believed possible.

russ295
    Free Member

Just fitted 32t wolf tooth/bash with standard xt mech and all is fine.

stewartc
    Free Member

Have you thought of a Widgit?
    Ran one for a while and it worked a treat with my XT rear mech, sadly my legs struggled with the climbing that I regularly ride so had to wave goodby when going back to 2×10.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it stevie, its a bike forum and 1×10 options are more available now – so its a topic that will be constantly discussed. Clearly some people have a gun held to their head with someone screaming at them “CLICK ON THE THREAD!!!”

I’ve got a couple of Wolftooth chainrings and so far they’ve been ace.

extremo
    Free Member

Goldtec have just launched there thick thin chainring called the TT. available in 34, 36 and 32 in a couple of weeks

IT'S HEREThe new goldtec TT ring featuring thick thin farming technology10 SPEED and 9 SPEEDAvailable in 34T and 36TLimited first edition run in goldtec gold£43.99

Posted by BETD Components Ltd on Friday, July 12, 2013

waldo1
    Free Member

I’m using a saint m820 with raceface 34t wide/narrow on a 160mm bike. When I got the ring I place a chain around it and thought it would not work. It didn’t seem like the wider teeth had any bearing on holding the chain.
    2 rides later now and no dropped chain!
    Some sort of witchcraft going on!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I think all those rings are going to do the job. Just depends on what you like the look of and the amount you want to spend.

For what it’s worth, Works Components 34t on my hard tail plus an X9 short cage clutch, no guide. Not dropped in maybe a month of on and off riding on that bike and I’m deliberately chucking it down the rootiest and rockiest I can find in Surrey. Okay it’s not that rocky in Surrey, but if it can (and it does) cope at full blast down “I Should Coco” then think it’s doing it’s job. More than my arms cope going down there on a hard tail but anyway 😀

Amazing things and so simple. Seem to help keep it quiet too.

I just hope SRAM’s patent doesn’t get in the way (how they managed to patent it given such an old established design I don’t know, but this was in the US and they grant anything). Hopefully a non issue outside US.

What I’m not sure about yet is on the full sus. Currently I have a guide on it. It would be fine with a ring like this for normal trail stuff, but still feel a guide may be required for Cwmcarn / Aston Hill / the Alps! / etc. I could be wrong though. Maybe when my current chainring is wearing I’ll take the guide off and try one on it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Still super happy, and slightly amazed, with my Works one, especially for the price (got the £30 preorder one, but I’d still be as happy for £35). I spent weeks riding around with the old guide in my pack, certain that the ring couldn’t possbily work, but it’s proved me completely wrong. Previous, brief, experience with a normal ring and no guide was dire. This is on an LTHT with a Zee mech.

kimbers

so are these magic chainrings being run with no top guide?

just a type 2/clutch mech out back?

kayak23

I have a e-13 and it’s gurt lush. Some beautiful machining and anodising, and works very well too.

stevied
    Free Member

I have a e-13 and it’s gurt lush. Some beautiful machining and anodising, and works very well too.

Which e13 is it? The G-ring?

warpcow
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    so are these magic chainrings being run with no top guide?

just a type 2/clutch mech out back?

Yep!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve got the raceface one. And it’s rather good. Certainly works as expected.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve got the raceface one. And it’s rather good. Certainly works as expected.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just this minute ordered a Works Component one after numerous glowing recommendations on here.

Will be teaming up with a Zee mech.

Hopefully there will be an almost-new Hope 32t and E13 LG1 up for sale in a couple of weeks 🙂

DrP

I like the speil on that WIDGIT link!!

The WIDGIT is a revolutionary design that picks the most useful ratios from all 3 front chain rings, combining them into a single ring

Or in non marketing BS speak

The WIDGIT is a revolutionary design that picks the most useful ratios from all 3 front chain rings, combining them into a single ring

DrP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 chainring options with no guide?’ is closed to new replies.