National Marathon Championship – Margam Park

by 0

Margam park held host to the UK’s National Marathon Championships sponsored by those lovely people at Trek. It brough togther a hundred or so true commited individuals keen to work through pain thresholds, more some than others as it turned out, all in eager anticipation of landing a coveted National title.
Just 100 competitors lined up to do battle for the Marathon titles on offer and ahead lay, 4 gruelling laps of a mountainous circuit.
Each category contained at least one ‘hot favourite’, but this being mountain biking where anything can happen and usually does, each race was could have been wide open, with no one becoming complacent, all being to aware of the pitfalls of mechanicals or just plain running out of steam.
Oli Beckingsale had his eyes on this jersey to add to his groaning wardrobe of National victories and despite riding the previous day looked confident in the hills relishing in the brutal conditions. Course designer Paul Davis had worked his magic creating a myriad of testing sections, woven into a flowing 22km lap that was designed to test the best and provided a altering mixture of grin inducing and grimacing butt clenching moments!

For once, it was hot enough that a water splash in the enduro race was very welcome.

Beckingsale was joined on his rumble round the park by Hope rider Paul Oldham who after a nasty tumble on Friday wanted to salvage something from a near disaster of a weekend. While also keeping the party alive were a series of riders including Dave Collins, Ross Creber and Ian Bibby. Beckingsale stepped on the gas on lap 3 and suddenly the race was on. Using his climbing prowess Beckingsale moved into another gear and started moving swiftly away, only Oldham and Bibby could hold onto the Giant rider’s coat tails. Then they too one by one fell by the wayside until Beckingsale was along and riding for home and with it the win. Bibby was looking confident for the silver till a puncture saw Oldham surge past, grabbing second spot while Bibby limped home for 3rd.

We saw Oli Beckingsale tucking into a bag of Doritos at the finish, so that's his secret...
Jenny Copnall zips through the woods on the fun 22km course.

Defending champion and marathon specialist Sally Bigham had a less than perfect race , with some tough competition she was keen to put as much space between herself and her rivals. On lap one she had company going up the climbs in the shape of Swiss-based UK rider Jane Nuessli. In an effort to lose her strong competitor Bigham took the riskier lines on the descents, for a while it paid off until a massive high speed crash nearly stopped the Ergon/Topeak rider in her tracks.
Undetered she carried on, fighting a battle of mind over pain as well as over other riders, with thoughts of her competitors surging past her pushing her on. Amazingly she completed the full race to hang onto her National jersey for a second year. On finishing she headed straight for the medics where she fainted and was whisked off to hospital missing her moment of glory on the podium . Meanwhile the race behind for the minor places was a constant changing plane, with Gemma Collins holding on hard for bronze while Nuessli maintained second. However by the end of the race, it was current XC National champ Jenny Copnall who charged for the line to claim silver leaving Nuessli the bronze, while Collins had to be content with 4th. The women’s vet’s championships were fought over 3 log laps and it was seasoned contender Lydia Gould who rode to victory leaving Debbie Burton claiming silver and Abi Armstrong, bronze.
Michael Powell wasn’t as lucky as Bigham and failed to hang onto his National title succumbing to the strong challenge posed by David Hayward who delighted whisked the title away.

Sally on her way to a win, despite a dented thigh...

Oli Beckingsale – National Marathon Champion
“This is the first time I’ve had a go at the marathon so great to come back with the jersey. It’s never really fitted in before with my busy schedule, but this year I could make a bit of time for it, so I decided to give it a go. I didn’t feel rubbish at the start and for the first lap we had a nice little group out there, no one knew the course so we took it steady and a bit of a laugh and a joke, I always think racing starts at halfway and that’s what happened today. We took two laps pretty steadily and on the climb on the 3rd lap I gave it a little bit and only Paul (Oldham) and Ian (Bibby) came with me and I pushed on and came home for he win.
The course was very old school, a great 25min climb, I’m not going to moan about that! I really enjoy marathons, I don’t enjoy riding for a long time round small laps, but here they got a 4 lap course, which makes it all bearable, you don’t get bored.”

Oli takes the marathon jersey ahead of Paul Oldham and Ian Bibby.

Sally Bigham – National Women’s Champion.
“Well my race didn’t exactly go to plan! I had a high-speed crash, which flung me from my bike, and I landed on my leg and then my head. I jumped back up telling the startled guys behind that I was fine and got back on my bike. My leg was hurting and when I looked down at it I panicked – it had swelled instantly and looked like someone had inserted a couple of tennis balls under my skin. I figured that the other girls would soon catch me as I completed the lap and I focused all of my effort on not fainting and just getting back to the pits. To my surprise however nobody caught me by the time I made it back to the start/finish area. I then reasoned with myself that since I had completed the lap it couldn’t be that bad and it must just look worse than it was. I decided to go out and see if I could complete another lap without being caught, so I gingerly set off. I was really tentative on the descents and it was hard to ride at full power because of the pain.
Dave gave me some ibuprofen which started to ease the pain and I decided that I should just carry on riding how I was and if I was lucky I might be able to maintain my lead. I couldn’t believe it when I crossed the finish line and that I had won!
The medics were concerned because of how much it had swelled so they called an ambulance. While I was struggling to provide drugs control with my urine sample I managed to faint. That was it…off to hospital I went! Luckily it is just a bad haematoma and rest, ice, elevation, and ibuprofen should do the trick.
Another lesson learned and another trip to hospital…blimey!”


(All pics from Joolze Dymond)

Leave Reply