• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I did the 4 lap flat race this morning and it was a pretty dull affair due to a very small field. The groups were so small i had trouble trying to tell who was in my race as we passed loads of randoms. I lost a front group of 6 or so and not sure where/how so was riding with 2 other B’s but the pace wasnt super quick. I seemed to have lost connection with my hrm so i went to the menu and re-paired it and when i went back to the race i had lost the other 2 by 20s even though i never stopped pedalling (i never realised going to the menu would stop my progress). So i smashed it up the big hill and managed to catch 1 of them but the other was about 8s ahead. It took us a full lap to catch him as he was holding us off quite nicely and then the other guy just disappeared so it was down to 2 of us for a lap and a half. I knew this was for a trophy so i pulled the pin with 0.3m to go and we were neck and neck all the way to the line but i just pipped him by half a bike length, that got me SILVER. Lots of small fields today so slow going but i am ready for the challenge of MGCC tomorrow which has some nice banter on screen and discord.

eemy
    Free Member

I had him, I had him, I had him…………….he got me right on the line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvSr6ifBGKA (from 43mins)

weeksy

Jeepers! You’re both animals!

crosshair
    Free Member

As similar ability Zwifters, I’m keen to ask what level the other top-end B’ers are in real life but haven’t worked out a polite way of asking 😀

I think for various reasons it could encompass a huge range I reckon. Right from our Cat2/3 friend Bob McGlue to a pack fodder Sport Cat XC rider, to a keen non-racer / club rider.

I wonder if there’s an annual hours correlation too?

jam-bo

i had trouble trying to tell who was in my race as we passed loads of randoms

I’m pretty sure I only see who is in the same race as me on course. See the other categories who don’t show up in the sidebar but show as a different colour on the map but no non racers

beej

I’m just about top 3rd in B (though only done 3 races).

I’m more an endurance rider than high-intensity stuff – Mallorca 312, Marmotte, Haute Route etc. I hate hurty racing so I’m working on my weaknesses!

eemy
    Free Member

I think best to take Zwift with a huge pinch of salt. In real life I am a tubby middle-aged man who enjoys cycling. In Zwift I am a tubby, middle-aged avatar. Either way, I’m not going to make it onto Team Sky or the GB track team.

nathb
    Free Member

eemy – Member
    I had him, I had him, I had him…………….he got me right on the line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvSr6ifBGKA (from 43mins)

Those numbers are very impressive! Sure you guys shouldn’t be in A?? 😆

Who’s J Carn STW??

CH – Forgive me but I really think the only difference between A & B riders is endurance, output wise those numbers are A level. At Hillingdon we did 4-5 sprints together and not once could I leave you, in fact you won the last one. My only advantage over you is the ability to put down long drawn out power and bend my elbows comfortably (sorry) 😆

Bob is clearly a much smarter racer than I, which demonstrates the need for both group riding (which I’m in awe of your ability BTW) and the power in the final moments (5 min power). You’re so there!

crosshair
    Free Member

I think Zwift definitely flatters larger riders- myself included!
    Wind resistance is a brutal mistress IRL 😆

I’m not trying to think it through too hard- was just curious 🙂

A Cat probably has the biggest spread. 4w/kg is not mega wow for a lighter person yet they have to race everyone up to the pros!

crosshair
    Free Member

Having raced A before- the difference is definitely the sustainability of the higher power numbers. Every time the road goes up, the A races are smashed apart with sustained 500-600w surges whereas the B’s have a quick spike and then a 400-450w sustainable effort.

It’s a bit like the difference between a 3/4 Crit and an E,1,2,3. If an elite or Cat 1 rider decides to bugger off at 30mph for half a lap- I ain’t following for many seconds 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

( especially as I’m not a Cat 3 of course 😆 )

scaredypants

I’m an “adequate” B, nothing fancy

Too old to race properly, I think and have never raced in my adult life; I really don’t think I have enough power to manage even the slightly big pushes from A or fast B riders up hills. More of a TT-type output I think. Real-life, even if I had better FTP I’d be a water-carrier rather than a contender

That said, I’m on my first ever training plan so may turn out to be a world beater:

Day 5 in the big brother house; scaredy has been cycling.
    Honestly, I don’t get it. 5 days in and only one has been a recovery ride. Apart from when I’ve been ill, I reckon these have all been among the easiest rides I’ve done on zwift. If I get faster as a result of this (4wk FTP thing), it’s pure voodoo – or else it’ll get much harder in the next few weeks.

blader1611
    Free Member

EEMY – holy hell that was some impressive racing and wattage going on there, i dont think i could live with that pace,well done.

Crosshair – i have nothing to reference against for real life ability but i would guess judging by your racing thread i am not at your level. Its all hard to tell really as there is no real level playing field to compare against unless we all went on zwift with the same bike and weight.

weeksy

Crosshair – i have nothing to reference against for real life ability but i would guess judging by your racing thread i am not at your level. Its all hard to tell really as there is no real level playing field to compare against unless we all went on zwift with the same bike and weight.

Or if we all went to Hillingdon.

In summer!

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m honestly just curious- not judging. My turbo is -5 to 10 watts on my Power Meter so I’d be ‘worse’ without it. Are either of them right? Who knows but it makes my work transferable outside so doesn’t really matter.

It was curiosity around Zwift racing that inspired me to race IRL in the first place but actually, in almost every case from Jesper to Nath, Weeksy to MrBlobby to the TFC boys and more- it’s been a very fair representation regardless of their setup.

scaled
    Free Member

I dunno how my swift power translates to real world power but the speeds seem about right for the terrain.

A rolling group ride for me with other quick lads would be about 22+ mph which seems to tie in. I’m probably working a bit harder on the turbo as there’s no junctions/traffic etc.

Racing wise I’m a positively mid pack Enduroist

nathb
    Free Member

See I don’t think I’m a fair comparison out of Zwift. I’ve got the numbers but lack any skills/ group confidence/ trust/ arrogance? To ultilise them fully. 😆

Sometimes can’t help but think “what if jesper hadn’t blocked me…” but that’s a conversation for the other thread / keeps my racing curiosity high.

Back to Zwift, hoping to do the KISS tomorrow eve. Anyone joining??

crosshair
    Free Member

I more meant that your real life speed matches your Cat A status Nath. Jesper couldn’t believe you had a 29mph solo lap at your disposal 😆

Scaled- I’d say that fully supports your A category level performance. Well over 4w/kg (4.5?).

I see on FB that ZP are going even further on cheating with an investigation process with a ZP suspension and everything. That led me to wonder about how, if somebody challenged you, you’d set about justifying your level.
    I don’t think there is an easy answer if you don’t possess a PM??

scaled
    Free Member

Corsshair, I’m not sure I could have kept that up for much more than one lap! 😆

Working from home tomorrow so going to see what’s on during the day and have another go at racing, probably the 0805 WBR 4 lap. Dunno if I should enter as an A or B though 😕

crosshair
    Free Member

If you’d held it for 5mins longer, that would have made your calculated ftp about 380. @ 82kg that’s a good 4.5w/kg so definitely an A 😉

Apologies if I remembered the data wrong, can’t remember which race it was now.

You could always pick a mixed Cat race and see where you end up 🙂

piemonster

Having just done one. I can see why some struggle with structured workouts on Zwift.

weeksy

Elaborate?

piemonster

Not exactly the most engaging experience to be found on Zwift. Watts up, watts down, and that’s about it. Whereas racing has the element of not knowing what’s coming to a degree.

Although I can see the benefits of structured sessions, I’m yawning whilst acknowledging those benefits. Not that it’ll stop me using them.

weeksy

Fair call… whilst i’ve never done a workout, that’s my perception of how it would be too. Sure, you have intensity of effort… but it’s just against a given output decided by the training, it’s not “Oh crap they’ve gone at the front, get after them….” or “Right, what’s in the tank, can i try to make a break on this guy”….

nathb
    Free Member

Ahh I see CH.

Re Zwift workouts you’ve just got to be long termist about them. Same with any training plan to be honest, but at least with Zwift you’re getting a high quality uninterrupted session (no road obstacles).

I do prefer zone 1/2 workouts on Zwift as oppose to outside though for two reasons; one I can actually stick in those zones, and two I can watch netflix/prime/youtube to pass the time… I can’t even manage to stick to Z2 commuting 😆

piemonster

long termist

Hopefully, I’ve started a 12 week plan 😆

weeksy

😥

Another one lost…. Sheesh.. dropping like flies..

scaredypants

it’s OK weeksy – you’ll be the only one actually racing soon. You’ll clean up !

weeksy

scaredypants – Member
    it’s OK weeksy – you’ll be the only one actually racing soon. You’ll clean up !

Only from here. !

I did notice when checking a few people in the other days race they’re all coming back…. Last races were March… then Nov… so all the superstars and fast guys who’ve spent all summer racing outside are now Zwifting again.

I honestly don’t mind, as long as i get a bit of fun out of it… I would love to know where the extra 20w has gone from my best form though that’s for sure. However, i’ll live with that 🙂

scaredypants
    piemonster

Another one lost…. Sheesh.. dropping like flies..

😛

Still planning on at least 1 race a week plan or no plan. They’re part of the motivation, cut them out and I wouldn’t bother with the plan.

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy- Perhaps when countless people say “if you race too much your fitness will plateau and eventually decline” and “don’t race on the 5:2 diet as it will kill your ability to recover effectively” and so on they were actually trying to be helpful ??? 😆
    Outdoor racing had the same effect on me don’t forget. My FTP dropped from 318 to 296 after a summer of racing and that was with recovery and rest days.

weeksy

I’ve not been doing the 5-2 for ages now… Although i may need to start it to kick-start the weight loss.

I’ll keep racing though whether it’s working or not for me… as we know it’s as much about the fun/endorphins/enjoyment as anything else.

I do need some Z2 work though in the next 6 weeks as i need to get the miles up or the KMs up anyway to hit 8000km for the year, which unless i up the actual distances i don’t think i’ll make…

crosshair
    Free Member

One point I would add about the structured training available on Zwift is that it is very wishy washy. There’s not much overriding guidance.

The key thing about the interval sessions is that they are calibrated by your FTP. So that is your number one priority, week one, workout one- rest for a good couple of days and then do an FTP test.

What I’ve found on Trainerroad is that the intervals are then devilishly perfect. Like a well practiced interrogator, Coach Chad brings you close enough to hell for you to see death but leaves just enough life for him to beat the crap out of you again tomorrow.

I could easily swap one session a week for a race but I don’t want to as I know I will go too deep and spoil tomorrow’s workout.

If that weekly race is the inspiration to keep going then just fudge your plan around it- put a shorter or easier session in the day before and a rest day after.

crosshair
    Free Member

I feel bad even counting my miles given how much Zwift inflates them.
    Hours are key and mine are shit- barely enough to be a Cat 4 according to Friel and oh, there’s a surprise, I’m still a Cat 4 😆

weeksy

crosshair – Member
    I feel bad even counting my miles given how much Zwift inflates them.
    Hours are key and mine are shit- barely enough to be a Cat 4 according to Friel and oh, there’s a surprise, I’m still a Cat 4

I think at the last check i’m on 290 hours for 2017. I can’t realistically see how i can increase that without either lowering the intensity to save fatigue, or without actually impacting my life/family time too dramatically.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m on 315 so likely to be around 360 for the year which is the lower end for Cat 4.

500-700 is the guide for Cat 3 😮

weeksy

500-700 is the guide for Cat 3

Wow… well that quickly answers any aspirations from my side anyway.

piemonster

Actually, that’s less than I thought.

When fit I used to do more than that fell running on a regular basis. The weekly long day out used to account for a lot tbf.

piemonster

Great, I’m basically a lazy under achiever 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.