• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,481 through 4,520 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • crosshair
    Free Member

If you click the little ‘i’ button, it says the organisers have configured the results to allow them to stand for some reason.

Probably to save anyone actually having to sort through them 😆

weeksy

Yeah I saw, just thought it weird.

Also weird that none of the **** entered the A race that started 2 mins earlier

b1gf00t
    Free Member

Found something odd about the “winner” of a 16km Zwift TT on Sunday. During the race zwift showed that he did not have a power meter, but looking at his strava for the ride it showed he averaged 370w for 20 minutes, quite a good score. Closer examination shows that he did a constant 400w exactly for the entire 16km and then eased off. How is this achieved, my Erg mode drifts up and down by a few watts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/998928349/analysis

nathb
    Free Member

An E-bike?

That power result is impossible IMO.

b1gf00t
    Free Member

400w again today, with variable cadence?

https://www.strava.com/activities/999900739/analysis

Would be nice to be able to do rides like this on outdoor TT’s, just pick a power number at the start and then ride at xxx watts for the next 10 or 25 miles.

gray

Is it possible that he’s using a Wahoo Kickr2? I know that (the first software versions at least) broadcast the requested power rather than the estimated actual power, when in Erg mode. The difference would only ever be subtle between the two, given the feedback loop involved, but one is very much more ‘artificial’ looking than the other. Can you run a Zwift session in Erg mode (i.e. set a desired power level and have the turbo maintain you at that power regardless of gear / cadence)? Presumably a Kickr would show up as a smart trainer, not a power meter?

jam-bo

its a game and there will always be a % who cheat. never worked out why.

ignore the fixed power issue and he’s averaging >10 W/Kg….

b1gf00t
    Free Member

More interested in how this is done rather than why. I could do similar by editing the fit file before sending it to Strava but this appears to be done in real time

crosshair
    Free Member

Unsupported trainers are limited to 400w max output. If it was badly calibrated enough that his ride varied from 410-600w say then it would appear as one 400w ride.

weeksy

My lad has just been playing on the volcano, his Zwift is set to his height and weight, so as accurate as we can get, although with 26″ wheels on the Snap.

He did well though !

blader1611
    Free Member

I decided today that zwift has been a massive help to fitness although i cant actually prove it. I went for a ride today that was only 37 miles but contained some pretty big hills with a couple of steep sections (20-25%). In the past i may not have got up those hills in one go (hard to be certain as i now run a slightly easier gear) but with a fair degree of certainty the hills would have sapped me for the rest of the ride if i wanted to go at a fast pace. Also it seems i can recover a lot quicker from thigh burn after big efforts which makes a big difference. The other big factor is when i finished i didnt have any aches or pains and still felt quite fresh, in the past i could feel my body was tired/slightly fatigued. Yet again this is somewhat scewed in proving it is zwift fitness related as i have changed bikes and i think this just fits better meaning several muscles are not been wasted due to bad positioning. All in all i cant really prove anything statistically but thats just numbers so who cares, the ability to knock out hilly 40 milers or flat 80 miler and still feel good definately is progress.

Edit: well done weeksy jnr, great riding

weeksy

WBR at 12.05 for me if anyone about

nathb
    Free Member

Sweating just thinking about Zwift today!

I’m off to Hillingdon for some *fresh* air 😆

You & CH are welcome to join 🙂

weeksy

Epic battle again… As usual i lost the fast boys on a kick up and the dusty gravel bit so solo’d a bit and then jumped on a group from behind, we were getting a move on ! Almost got dropped and had to sprint twice to hold…. Coming down the final part of final lap through village sprint i got a PU, a nice van… stayed with them until the downslope onto start finish, boom, hit the van and nailed it… 700w+…. leading leadnig…. 2 of them blown out.. .the last one was at 8.5w/kg and i was dropping to mid 6… then 5.9w…. he passed me and i couldn’t get him…

Finish 2nd of 2 in the STW battle, but 30s down which was good as i was 1min down on him coming into the last lap, so either he slowed or we went fast !

phew…. bit warm now.

weeksy

Lol I’ve been swindled out of a C win by an STWer

With an estimated FTP of 316w and 3.47w/kg this rider should consider upgrading.

eemy
    Free Member

Swindled, my backside. Tried and tested technique of holding onto the front group for as long as possible then getting dropped and latching onto the next etc…… And only ever accidentally taking a turn at the front.

That was a hard race…………….makes the crushing victory all the sweeter.

weeksy

Hahahahahaa 🙂

eemy
    Free Member

I’ve stopped putting a category in my name field now as pretty much only doing the WBR and occasional EVR races that are open to everyone. Zwift power and rankings seem to work fine without specifying a category.

weeksy

WBR seem quite effective, their results always end up verified, which i like as you know when you finish at least it will register, for better or worse.

blader1611
    Free Member

Sounded like a good race between you two.

nathb
    Free Member

Went out for a 25 mile leisurely cycle earlier today in this glorious sunshine. Totally forgot I’d said that I would turn up for the team series this evening.

So it was a bit painful, but I got GOLD!!
    https://zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=7564

Mainly drafting Adams, but he later left me for dead (clearly his trainer isn’t calibrated) and I had to TT the rest on my own.

Got this jersey too (3rd pic): https://www.strava.com/activities/1006799739

weeksy

Top work sir!

weeksy

Jumped on turbo for a 45km race with zhr about to start. Got the Giro on next to me to keep me going

blader1611
    Free Member

Did the cat A P race (49km) yesterday afternoon and there were only 9 of us. I managed to stay with them all till about 1km to go but miscalculated the last hill and missed the sprint up it. Race was won by a vision team rider (A Webb) but he only beat me by 21 seconds and they were nice friendly bunch with a bit of banter. The fan was having trouble keeping me cool though in the hot weather.

scaredypants

You people are either animals or your garages/sheds are air-conditioned !
    I can’t imagine turboing over the past week – would probably have drowned

blader, I assume this was on one of those chat channels? Tell me you weren’t typing 😯

weeksy

Another “suggested upgrade for exceeding category limits” for 5 riders, but it seems at them moment that every race I enter they’re allowing people to blast the limits for no punishment.

In an open race I kinda accept it, but this was a C race only.

Poor form.

blader1611
    Free Member

Scaredypants – not a discord channel, i was typing messages via my phone but even more worrying was that i had no spelling errors, now that is a REAL achievement.

Just done the team italy gladiators race and won GOLD for cat B and finished 3rd overall. That was a great result with my best stats to date and with no power ups. I think there were only 24 riders. Box hill done in 7:15, can anyone show me the link to stw boxhill table?
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=7765

b1gf00t
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Pah, 2 seconds behind Nathan. 189bpm though, no one can match my hummingbird heart!

Did the ODZ race earlier, neutral for the first 3.5 miles, seemed utterly pointless. Group split on Box Hill, ended up in the second group, then got dropped into no man’s land on the second lap, managed to hold off a group of three 20 seconds back for 8th.

In an open race I kinda accept it, but this was a C race only.

The trouble is where do you impose the limits? Is it the limit for the race or is it for your FTP? If it’s a short race you’ll be able to ride far harder, but I’ve never seen category bounds change by race distance.

If the same people are doing it then that’s annoying.

weeksy

The trouble is where do you impose the limits? Is it the limit for the race or is it for your FTP? If it’s a short race you’ll be able to ride far harder, but I’ve never seen category bounds change by race distance.

If the same people are doing it then that’s annoying

HArd to argue in that context yes… Crosshair comments on another forum givning me some needling at times that i should race up in B cat as my FTP is 296w, giving me a weighting of about 3.20w/kg, which puts me right on the borderline for Bs, my argument is that this is my short 20min FTP, not my hour FTP by a long long way… The race we did on Sat was a 1hr+ race and i only hit about 2.8-2.9w/kg for them…. But i still get confused with the results at times, sure, i get the 0.1 allowed… So you can hit 3.3 overall… but some of these guys were blasting 3.3 and way above, that’s where it kinda loses it’s point.

Of course, we’re now 2-3 days later and it really doesn’t matter… i worked hard, did my best… Move on 🙂

I got +2 points on the Virtual Rankings.. LOL.. that seemed like a LOT of effort for +2.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as a 20 minute FTP, you have a 20 minute power output, which can be used as a proxy for your FTP, I’d assume that’s what the categories are based on. That said, There’s no way I can ride at 4w/kg for an hour (or even 40 minutes), but I race A, I’ve won a race, and have never come last, it’s a bit of training after all.

weeksy

There’s no such thing as a 20 minute FTP, you have a 20 minute power output, which can be used as a proxy for your FTP, I’d assume that’s what the categories are based on. That said, There’s no way I can ride at 4w/kg for an hour (or even 40 minutes), but I race A, I’ve won a race, and have never come last, it’s a bit of training after all.

There is in Zwift world though as it bases your current FTP upon your 20 mins power data, not your 1 hour power. That’s how Zwift gives you it’s figure isn’t it ?
    It’s the only method i have of getting an FTP unless i do a dedicated program/test.

Sure, i can make the jump up to B, i can race for 45s then TT alone for the next 55mins… but where’s the point in that ? in C cat i get to ride with a bunch, play with the leaders, ride ahead, ride behind and then eventually i’m usually dumped out the back somehwere between 80% distance or 100% distance, but i very very rarely (only once) win the race on actual merit and on-screen, although i have been gifted a few on DQs.
    For me, i’ll push myself more, harder and better in a race instead of being dumped after a KM.

nathb
    Free Member

njee20 –
    Pah, 2 seconds behind Nathan. 189bpm though, no one can match my hummingbird heart!

😆 read my workout description 😈

I’m topping out at 205bpm at the moment, nice to meet someone else with a ridiculously high HR when cycling 😆

Weeksy I think you’re fine in C as you’re rarely ever going to race at your FTP efforts, unless it’s a short TT race, I wouldn’t move up until you’re forced to.

Example, not a humble brag, is I FTP at 4.5w/kg at the moment, bar some weird stuff going on pre power meter days I very rarely go anywhere near that: https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?id=8544067

Also looks like I’m about to be promoted on Zwift rankings to elite status 🙂
    All be it at around 160th lol http://zwiftrankings.com/vcr/client/racer/98508/2017r05/all/1

njee20
    Free Member

There is in Zwift world though as it bases your current FTP upon your 20 mins power data, not your 1 hour power. That’s how Zwift gives you it’s figure isn’t it ?
    It’s the only method i have of getting an FTP unless i do a dedicated program/test.

It uses your 20 minute power output as a proxy for your FTP, which is common, because very few people have the mental fortitude to ride flat out for an hour. The common wisdom is either 95% of your 20 minute power or 90% of the average of two closely spaced 8 minute efforts. The FTP that Zwift offers is your FTP though, it’s not your 20 minute power. I’ve never actually looked if that’s the exact formula it applies.

I still don’t really know if event bandings are intended to be based on anticipated effort during the race or FTP though, I presume the latter, but that does mean you can’t read too much into people finishing races some way above the supposed bound for the category.

nathb
    Free Member

FTP converted to w/kg is a guide to see which category you should enter.

What you actually push out during your best 20 mins of the race is what is taken into consideration.

So if someone is 4.1W/kg on their FTP results it’s their choice really as to which category to enter A/B. But if they were to go full out then they risk the chance of a DQ.

nathb
    Free Member

FINALLY invested in one of these:

I hope this keeps the sweat at bay for Z1 workouts 😆

I got this jersey yesterday, what is it?

(Yeah this workout killed me 6×12 mins @320w with 3 mins rest in between, lost about 5kg in weight through sweat ha)

scaredypants

FINALLY invested in one of these:

Have you not been using a fan at all ? 😯

Mine’s pretty powerful; I’ve never been up to the third stop on the dial but I still sweat like a <whatever> (just that my sweat all blows over to a puddle on the opposite side of the bike 8) )

crosshair
    Free Member

A nice profile of Tim Cartwright ahead of next weeks Live Zwift race!
    I hope Tim and Rachael Elliot smash both the races for Newbury Road Club!!

http://worldcup.cycligentrankings.com/blog/racer-spotlight-tim-cartwright-2/

blader1611
    Free Member

Nathb – i believe that shirt means you have to give me 100w of your power and an extra 20 bpm, thanks.

nathb
    Free Member

@scaredypants – I’ve been using a crappy tower fan, the recent heat has been too much for it 😆

@blader – haha thanks for clearing it up 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 4,481 through 4,520 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.