• This topic has 85 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Your biggest eBay failure?!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Make me feel better please. Like an idiot I inadvertently ended my two auctions right in the middle of last night’s football hence precisely zero people were paying attention.

SRAM X9 rear mech (used about 4 times) went for …. £10.09

SRAM X7 front mech (used about 4 times) went for…. £1.70 !!!!

Gah, and I thought using a reserve was a bad idea :-/

rone

Skoda car mats 10p.

jam-bo

surprised you got that much for the front mech, more unfashionable than 26″ wheels.

onandon
    Free Member

Sold a leather Audi TT interior with seats for £1000. The guy came to collect and as I took one of the seats out of the shear it caught on the dropout of a frame hanging from the roof. One badly torn seat,lots of swearing and an argument later,I ended up giving the guy some petrol money for his journey home.

All in all, a bad eBay day.

Yak

2 G-Plan armchairs with no reserve. Bloke won with £2. He was nearby, and on the way to the shops, so I dropped them off too.

I suppose it was a marginally shorter run to his place than the tip.

choppersquad
    Free Member

A grands worth of hardtail for £80.

Trimix
    Free Member

Your luck to sell a front mech.

aracer
    Free Member

I failed to check auctions finishing during last night’s football for potential bargains.

Though thanks for the tip, I won’t miss out next week now 😉

scaled
    Free Member

i severely miscalculated the cost of posting a printer.

It actually cost me money to sell that.

retro83
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better, a mate* paid several hundred quid for an xbox box back when xboxes first came out. 😆

* genuinely it was not me, I’m too tight fisted to buy new consoles

DezB
    Free Member

Mine was using an iPad to set up a sale of a coat. And not noticing that the “Will accept returns” button is checked by default.
    Then getting into a dispute with some bloody moron who had bought a coat slightly too big for them and wanted to return it! What am I Marks & bleedin Spencers??
    Massive row with eBay about freezing my Paypal account because they can’t decide for 8 days that I’m right even though they admitted I’m right after 1 day.
    Extremely irritating.

momo

DVD box set on ebay, cost more to post than the total selling price

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Quite a few years ago when I was an ebay newb, our company changed all it’s PC’s. They were going to be chucked so I decided to take them all, wipe them, put a clean OS on and sell them on ebay.

They sold like hot cakes, but I stupidly sold them complete with 17″ CRT monitors and guestimated the postage. A bloke in Ireland bought 10. Cost me a fortune to post them, and 5 out of the 10 monitors turned up smashed.

Smudger666

on the flip side, i sold the box set of 24 seasons 1-8 for £20 more than I paid once I’d watched it.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Old Haynes manual.
    Ebay had a maximum postage charge allowed for books.
    This cost considerably more. Made the profit about 10p 😕

TimP
    Free Member

Sold some K2 roller blades for £11.70, quoted postage of a fiver, cost £16.50

Total profit of 20p on a pair of £80 blades…

the-muffin-man

We sold a really nice 3 seater Next sofa for £1.00!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m currently hoping my carbon full suss goes for a lot more than the start price I’ve put on it – and now hoping there’s no football on Friday evening, although being a lady’s bike, that shouldn’t be an issue for potential bidders.

johndoh
    Free Member

I sold a microwave for a penny.

Fortunately it was pick-up only and the guy rocked up and insisted on giving me the penny.

And a Villeroy & Bosh basin with a very minor mark on it but otherwise unused – again just 1p. Still, that’s better than taking it to the recycling centre as ours charges for disposing of things like basins.

davidjey
    Free Member

Win: bought a pair of second hand Carradice panniers for about £45. Used them for a fair bit of touring, sold them ten years later for about £45.

Fail: single ottoman bed, dead comfy, really well made. Sold it for £3.50.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sold some hi-fi stuff, think I got £20 when similar stuff was going for £100+. No idea why, did everything right, just no one bid on it for some reason.

trailhound101

I received an email to say I had won the bidding on a Givi tool bag for my BMW. I vaguely remember looking at it one night after the pub (oh dear). Cost me £42 plus postage and a new one is only about £45. When it arrived, it didn’t fit (wrong model). I sold it on eBay for about £35.
    (Note to self – no more drunken ebaying!)

user-removed
    Free Member

So, so many. But the most annoying was selling about 40 antique wax cylinder records for a fair price and finding I had a Belgium buyer, despite selecting UK only and making it clear in the description.

He persuaded me he’d pay for the courier and seemed like a decent old chap so I chucked in a pile of extra, empty cylinder boxes, packaged the whole lot as if they were Faberge eggs and foolishly posted them off.

They arrived with five smashed and this guy went absolutely radge. He also insisted the empty boxes I’d sent should have had records in them.

PayPal account frozen, money sucked out of my bank account, courier company insurance refusing to answer the phone.

Expensive, time-sucking error that one.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

ebay can be a fickle beast
    i bought an led screen for my gopro hero3 cost £45, i sold on the cases as i got 6 in total and didnt need one size, got £39 for them

ps.I’ve never seen the point of a reserve, when a mate can set one for you.

grahamt1980

Forgot about the football effect, need to log in next week.
    Have got some massive deals in the past where the seller was clearly a bit pissed about the outcome

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

taking it to the recycling centre as ours charges for disposing of things like basins

Never heard of this ?? .. i work at the local HRC and we dont charge anything , Basins,ceramics etc just go into the rubble to get recycled.
    sorry , back to original topic

stgeorge

Cost about £150 I recall, Excellent condition, put it on for auction 99p, no reserve.collect only. One bid £1.00 won it, woman who came to collect brought a bunch of flowers for Mrs George as she felt guilty at getting such a bargain!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Sold a set of wheel trim still in the packet, way underestimated the postage so after post and fees was still £2 in profit until the bell end said there was a tiny scratch when he opened the packet and refused my off of a refund and because I was an e bay Newby at the time ended up refunding him. So lost out completely.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Didnt read the new t and c saying my sales were open to international bidders and fell foul to a fake bidder with no feedback

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We sold a glass dining room table (quite a nice one), went for a fair-ish price (£112.47p or something like that), we had it 2nd hand and apid similar for it so weren’t fussed. We sort of assumed the guy would round it upto £115 or £120 or something. But no, the guy stood there counting out the pennies giving the impression he wanted us to tell him to keep the change and call it £110 or something. No, you sniped the guy who bid £112, you can dam well give us the last 47p!

Gave away a (perfectly good, bu CBA with ebay at the time) sofa on freecycle, family turned up in a van for it, and sat in the van whilst we loaded it, getting it down from our flat on the hottest day of the year! Very nearly dropped it outside our door and told them to shift it themselves, but I’m too polite.

Jakester
    Free Member

Tried to sell some roof bars my dad gave me, which don’t fit my car.

Started at £25. No interest.

Started at £0.99. No interest.

Eventually someone bid the £0.99 but refused to confirm what day and time he would be coming to pay and collect them until I’d given him my address. I said that when he told me when he was coming, I would make sure someone was around and I would let him have my details.

This went on for way longer than it should have. So I just gave up. And got charged something like 25p for the privilege of not having sold my roof bars. Going to take them to the tip soon.

johndoh
    Free Member

Never heard of this ?? .. i work at the local HRC and we dont charge anything , Basins,ceramics etc just go into the rubble to get recycled

Yup – Harrogate council – ceramics, rubble, plasterboard etc – all counted as ‘home improvements’ and they charge to dump it.

Recently I had to pay £11 to dispose of some half empty bags of plaster that a workman left behind in our garage after doing some work on our house.

http://m.northyorks.gov.uk/article/29205/Hardcore-rubble-and-plasterboard-waste?

jam-bo

Never heard of this ?? .. i work at the local HRC and we dont charge anything , Basins,ceramics etc just go into the rubble to get recycled

charge in devon too. the introduction of which coincided with the marked increase in fly tipping further down the quiet road the tip is on.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve just sold all of my archery gear. I made the mistake of trusting eBay’s recommended postage costs, not realising that several of the items would cost £11.99 due to the length, even though they weighed very little!

I was after a second hand sofa, so after selecting ‘ending soonest’ on my search, one of the first few items caught my eye and was infact fairly local, and it was only on a 99p starting bid. The photo just showed the sofa against a white background.

As there was only about 30 seconds to go so I made a snap decision to bid £1. I won the auction, and on re-reading the description imagine my delight to find that I’d just bought a minature sofa for a dolls house 😳

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I sold 2 landrover discovery (1) rear doors for 99p each, guy collected was very happy. On the flip side though, I have on bought 2 Superwinches for £10 each, and then sold them on for £150+ so it does even out to some degree.

If you don’t want to sell it cheap, either set a reserve or a suitable staring price, but either way, honor the deal.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Fell asleep passed out when getting home from the pub when winning and bidding on a Zaskar LE. My bid was £55. It went for £59. It’d been my dream bike since I understood MTB’ing. It can’t have been ridden much more than home from the LBS!

Full M9000 too!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m frankly the benchmark for **** up eBay stuff.

Bought a car unseen (mk2 MR2) it was a Cat D too, which I knew – spent 8 hours on trains, and coaches to collect it with no real way of getting home but to buy it (which of course I was committed to do if ‘as advertised’ it wasn’t, the engine was wrecked but I bought it anyway to get home – got a quote to make a rough car a running rough car of 150% of what I bought it for – sold it again 2 weeks later for a £700 loss.

Cleaned out my stuff as my Mums place, found a small pile of unopened PS2 games, sold them 99p no reserve – they all sold for £1 – £3 to the same person, sent them off – quoted the P&P as £1.99, the stamp on the jiffy bag said £1.25 so he trashed my feedback, on EVRRY SINGLE ONE OF THEM without ever contacting me, I appealed eBay said “tough luck” only in 600 words.

Sold a PC I was given when we were closing an old Office in work, it was 2 years old and a Dell, that’s all I knew about it, this was 10 years ago before I knew anything about IT stuff, so I took the name off the front of it – it said something like Optiplex T130 so I looked on the Dell site and cut and paste the spec list from Dell to eBay – sold it for a huge amount I thought – £400 or so, carefully boxed it up and sent it via courier – 48 hours later and my inbox lit up with threats of legal action from buyer, threats of excommunication from eBay and all manner of threats from PP – it seems I had sold a basic, entry level 3 year old PC using the spec from the top of the range, halo model from the current line-up, the ‘T130’ bit was a huge range of machines that just used the same case – but the buyers language was so aggressive I fought it for a bit assuming he was trying to scam me – gave him a full refund, including posting and let him keep the PC, he threw it in a skip I think.

And really that’s a the highlight reel…

I’ve done a lot better with stuff I know though.

I had a set of 2006 36’s with a knackered damper, bought a complete set of forks with a cracked lower and swapped them over – sold them again, this time listed as “cracked lower, broken damper” someone paid me £3 more than I paid for them, he was local so called around I gave him a hand to swap the CSU for his broken ones, I’m not sure if he resold them to someone needing the air side or perhaps some knobs or something, but that was a very broken fork when it left my garage that day.

Bought a pile of motorbike clothing in winter years ago, sizing for motorbike stuff it much worse than MTB stiff, you need to have a ballerinas build for jackets, short legs for jeans but mostly VERY narrow feet, I’m size 9, I finally found some boots in size 12 that I could get on. Anyway, come spring I had a pile of stuff that didn’t fit which I’d paid £200-£300 for, sold for £900 when the sun came out.

Bought a set of RS Lyrik RC2DH 26” forks last spring for £180, they were virginal they were so clean and tidy and came with a bill from CRC saying they’d cost the seller £500 6 month previously, sold my rough looking 36s for £250 which were 5 years old, I should thank Fox’s marketing team for that I suppose, the Lyriks were by far the better fork, if a bit heavier, they were pretty brilliant in fact – sold them this spring for £250ish again.

aracer
    Free Member

Not sure it quite counts as a failure but our old 25″ Sony CRT TV sold for 99p – the buyer did at least collect and saved a trip to the tip.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Jakester – Member
    Tried to sell some roof bars my dad gave me, which don’t fit my car.

Going to take them to the tip soon.

What car are they for? Someone on here (me if it’s the right car) may be interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Your biggest eBay failure?!’ is closed to new replies.