• This topic has 85 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Your biggest eBay failure?!
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Oh, if we’re also allowed success stories… I was at Xscape in Castleford one day and the local Puma store were selling really naff knee / elbow pads for 10p a packet in a huge bargain bin. I bought as many as I could be arsed stuffing in the car (about £20 worth) and sold each one for about a fiver plus postage.

Good job I lived 30 seconds away from the local post office. They hated me in there.

trusty

Just had my frame “won” by someone with no history, which is strange as they’ve been a member for 4 years.

Also lives in Chile, so I won’t hold my breath for payment….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Large 25L Hydrapak including brand new 3L res – £7.

Someone in South Wales got themselves a bargain.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A few years back, I meant to order the Wii console version of Endless Ocean for better half, but seconds after confirming the purchase, realised I had ordered the wrong platform version! 😳

Contacted seller immediately, they were great and sent a Wii version out, but the other platform version had already been processed so was asked to return it when it arrived. Well it arrived, but it is buried somewhere in the flat, silly me forgot to return it. 😳 😳

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

A grands worth of hardtail for £80.

I know I’ll take pelters, but I wouldn’t have sold it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

[/quote]
    johndoh – Member
    Never heard of this ?? .. i work at the local HRC and we dont charge anything , Basins,ceramics etc just go into the rubble to get recycled

Yup – Harrogate council – ceramics, rubble, plasterboard etc – all counted as ‘home improvements’ and they charge to dump it.
    Recently I had to pay £11 to dispose of some half empty bags of plaster that a workman left behind in our garage after doing some work on our house.

http://m.northyorks.gov.uk/article/29205/Hardcore-rubble-and-plasterboard-waste?

apologies for the hijack again,this really surprised me as im in birmingham and we charge for nothing ? .. only thing we dont take is asbestos or sharps
    we have to deal with massive vans as well which carry literally tonnes of crap !, we have said in the past that people should get charged for it, im gonna print the price list off and leave it around the place to see anyone takes notice 🙂

ads678

They don’t charge in Leeds either, but they’re all posh in Harrogate so it’s fair enough!! 😉

pictonroad

th no history, which is strange as they’ve been a member for 4 years.
    Also lives in Chile, so I won’t hold my breath for paym

I’ve just sold one of those kirk magnesium frames on eBay, had 2 enquiries asking if I’d ship it to Chile.

Sold stuff that’s left me at £0 before but I hate wasting things, it’s a slog and sometimes not worth it but selling the contents of our shed has paid for a week in Dorset. Also, less stuff, this is a good thing.

tops5
    Free Member

Sold a proper old school petrol mower (the self propelled type with a big roller on the front) It went for the 99p listing price.

I told my missus “he’s bound to give us a fiver for it – I would if it was me” Nope he gave me a quid and insisted on his 1p change the bastard!

chakaping
    Free Member

I just sell using Buy It Now these days, seems better for everyone.

I’ve just sold all of my archery gear. I made the mistake of trusting eBay’s recommended postage costs, not realising that several of the items would cost £11.99 due to the length, even though they weighed very little!

If it’s not too late, have you checked MyHermes? They take irregular shaped stuff way cheaper than RM.

Scamper
    Free Member

Last week I found to my surprise in my Inbox that I had bought a carbon 29er full build (probebly someone on here) which was on for £1200 as a buy it now or best offer and collect only. I still have no idea how this happened. I never do drunk purchases and it was anyway `bought’ the previous day at 4pm when I was on holiday. Ebay confirmed my account had not been hacked and I can’t believe my 4 yr old could have done it. My frame only searches had no relevance either, nor would I want to collect a bike from the other side of the country anyway. The only thing I could put it down to was my iphone screen was cracked and until I put it on 5 second lock had been opening random pages on my phone when in my pocket for example, getting as far as almost deleting a few apps.

Sent some apology emails to the seller and rang ebay in a flap, but they were fine about it and the seller has now cancelled the purchase. In hindsight slightly gutted as it was a nice bike and the Wife didn’t seem that annoyed about the possibility of me loosing £1200 on a bike I neither could afford nor needed, so that barometer has been filed away for the future 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

on a flipside..

won a very nice speaker stand (newish) for peanuts rrp should be £180 .. no one bids and its collect only and very heavy , got it for like £5 😆 ..I cannot forget the look on his face when I collected it . I even say sorry and gave him £20 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago i sold a few items, anyway cocked it all up and one buyer ended up with two items.

Not getting the wrong one back 🙁

Its a shame as the bloke who never got what he bought seems like a descent bloke. (Full refund)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Using non-tracked postage, right back when (2004?), that was a mistake I never made again. So, buyer gets this bubble image ’60s projector thing, pays £25 plus some post. I’m on holiday. I say as much. He then makes a massive fuss about me not being responsive and not getting his projector. I return from holiday. Apologise for being on holiday and not checking ebay. Send projector. Several weeks later it turns out he’s claimed he never received it and I’m down £35. Never again.

Guesstimating postage has gone a bit wrong on a few occassions. Never again, and never use RM.

robdob
    Free Member

I won a Kona retro frame for 99p and went to collect it, was surprised that the bloke sold it to me for that little but he was chuffed it would be reused (it was a state but a repaint sorted it) – looked in his garage where it was stored and you couldn’t have fitted another molecule in it – he was just listing everything for 99p and he didn’t care how much it went for.

Sold a nice scanner for 99p as my new OS didn’t support it. Bloke who came to collect it was really nervous as he didn’t think I’d sell it for so little but I was just glad someone could make use of it.

I put a pretty ratty pine table up for sale for 99p. I could have sanded it back and painted it and got £150 for it but I was hoping someone might think the same and I didn’t have time to do it. Bloke messages me and said what did I want for it, I said £30 and he sent someone round to pick it up that day so I canceled the auction. The bloke picking it up said he did this all the time for the buyer and he would strip it and sand it and sell it on for a profit. Again, I got a decent amount of money, it was going to be reused and someone was making a living out of what I was selling so I was very happy! Can’t stand to see things going to waste.

philxx1975
    Free Member

biggest ebay failure.

ACTUALLY BEING STUPID ENOUGH TO USE EBAY.

Jakester
    Free Member

pocpoc – Member
    What car are they for? Someone on here (me if it’s the right car) may be interested.

Mk7 Honda Accord touring. One of these:

wonnyj
    Free Member

Selling a nice Ti hardtail, was hoping to get >£800, but instead of listing it to sell at 9pm Sunday, listed it as 9am Sunday. Disaster & £450.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Tried to sell some roof bars my dad gave me, which don’t fit my car.

Started at £25. No interest.

Started at £0.99. No interest.

The problem with trying to sell car accessories on eBay is that the market is flooded with cheap new ones. I know, because I was about to buy a bike rack from Halfords for £100 or whatever, then I looked on eBay and found them for £20.

I think someone would rather spend £20 on a new thing from a bulk seller than go through the hassle of getting a slightly better bargain from a private seller, with all of the hassle that potentially entails.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The problem with trying to sell car accessories on eBay is that the market is flooded with cheap new ones

…and they’re all abject crap.

Most useful thing you can do if searching for car accessory bits on ebay is to tick the “condition – used” box… 99% i.e. the “universal” rubbish is removed. You stick a chance of finding the manufacturer’s original bits that way, or something made by a reputable brand.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sold a tube amps for £660 on ebay, the next year the buyer sells it on for £1600, and uses my name and some pictures from the HiFi show I used it at as provence for it 🙁

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Care to expand on that?

Possibly without the caps.

Daffy

bongohoohaa – Member

Care to expand on that?

Possibly without the caps.

a c t u a l l y b e i n g s t u p i d e n o u g h t o u s e e b a y

Better?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

a c t u a l l y b e i n g s t u p i d e n o u g h t o u s e e b a y

so the original was a pretty stupid comment, and this one is even more stupid?

What other forum gives you the visibility for selling to as many people ?

This affects prices, add in ‘auction fever’ as it’s an attractive proposition. The main downer is fees, but if you can’t get as good prices elsewhere you haven’t got the option.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I think the joke is they have literally expanded on the original comment.

It at least deserves a…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the joke is they have literally expanded on the original comment.

lost the spaces though.

[pre]a c t u a l l y b e i n g s t u p i d e n o u g h t o u s e e b a y[/pre]

oldtalent
    Free Member

An old 128gb ssd drive that went for £30. Just stuck it in a jiffy bag & posted it. I didnt ask for a receipt at the post office being in a rush & near christmas.
    It never arrived (they claim, maybe it didnt but I am inherently distrustful). So I send them another jiffy with a cat 5 cable cut in half but got a receipt from the PO this time, then was able to claim £25 back from the royalmail, so a monetary loss averted.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sold an Alpine 160 a few years back. It was one of our ex-hire bikes, but had barely been used due to the great Fox Fork Scandal of summer 2013. 3-months old, £3000 new, went for £650 on ebay.

Got a whole load of grief from the buyer because the saddle had a wee tear on it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I had a load of 38mm chipboard left over from a mezz floor install so rather than put it in a skip, stuck it on ebay for 99p NR. Sold it for 99p but the bloke said it was too big so handed over a £1 and left. Put it back on and a week later sold it for £56.

The vaguaries of Ebay! 🙂

philxx1975
    Free Member

Care to expand on that?

NO 🙄

Judgmental nobber on STW making even more stupid comment.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Care to expand on that?

NO

why the hell not?

If you can’t justify your statement then who’s the nobber here ?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Judgmental nobber on STW making even more stupid comment.

Genuine lol.

Who’s pissed on your chips?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Thread: EJECT!

philxx1975
    Free Member

why the hell not?

holy overreaction to something posted on www….batman

Thread: EJECT!

exactly , sensitive bunnies on here today.

bearnecessities

sensitive bunnies on here today.

Don’t get excited, Sam 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

This was my worst buy. Also my best as I’ve only ever bought this on ebay.

I love riding this in to worl. This morning in the rain I even came in the 8ml route instead of the 4, just to get a couple more little ‘hills’.
    Eliptical front ring single speed not fixed. And a stoopid stem.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You got done mate, it’s only got half a fork.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Worst: selling some Lyriks to someone who had buyers remorse (he worked in an lBS soy could have got them trade for what he paid used, and prob realised after the event) and claimed they had all sorts of damage. I gave a full refund and got thrm back. To find he’d cut the steerer in the short time he had them so short they wouldn’t fit my bike :/

Best: buying a Fox shock from a Chinese seller for £60. Never getting around to fitting it. Selling it for £120.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Worst:

Sold two Ground Effect jerseys, same size and condition, different colours, two buyers. Sent wrong one to both, one guy was fine, other wasn’t so had to pay double for postage on both 🙁

Best:
    Idly put a lowball bid on a leather suite, poorly advertised. Massively surprised to win it at £7.50. Even more surprised when I collected it, as it was in really good condition and made by Stressless, retail over £4k 8O. Kept the sofa, sold the chairs for £350 🙂

splashgordon
    Free Member

I once ended up bidding against myself on a bike. (Don’t ask, drunk eBay logic)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Your biggest eBay failure?!’ is closed to new replies.