Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • You want to see a dog not under control?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

That vid is perfick!

Re labs taking down deer, I recall a thread on here a year or so ago, in which a member came on boasting about his lab chasing and felling a deer. Poor guy was very proud of his dog, but the tale was not well received and an epic flaming commenced…..

martinhutch

I bet the bloke was proud of his epic trolling…

wwaswas

I saw the ‘Benton in London’ thing before I knew what it was all about.

I thought it was a trailer for a new film based on the American Werewolf story 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Poor guy was very proud of his dog, but the tale was not well received and an epic flaming commenced….

I don’t believe that was a lab. Or a “poor guy” 8)

derekrides
    Free Member

OMG! That so could be my little fecker, not so little now, but still only 20 months and the most difficult dog I’ve ever had the misfortune to try and train.

That scenario has happened to me twice now, once when he slipped his lead as I was trying to get my bike through a gate whilst still holding on to him, the second time, last Friday, night riding someone had left the gate to a field that he normally gets put on the leash open. He was through it like a rat up a drain, initially thought my luck was in, there were no sheep, I went after him anyway to try and get him on the fikken lead, my pal was still coming up the hill behind.

To cut a long story of yelling, absolute horror at a sea of eyes lit up, the **** dog cutting one from the flock, me arriving it **** off (the sheep then the dog going after it again), my mate eventually arrives on the scene to witness me holding the sheep from the rear with it bucking about, (the logic being to stop it running off and to protect it from my bastard dog who just circled us just out of reach enjoying every minute of the chase), hurry up John (name changed to protect the innocent) it’s your turn quipped I, get hold of it so I can catch the bastard.

So there we were bike lights illuminating the scene, taking turns to hold this sheep in ‘the position’ eventually he sits and I get him and give him the soundest thrashing ever which is the wrong thing to do since he did obey the sit command and I did manage to get hold of him, but whatever, he did pin the damn sheep down and give it a shaking..

We did manage to extricate ourselves from the situation before another group of riders arrived on the scene from the opposite direction, but damn, as nasty an embarrassment and potentially lethal situation for the dog, although I have to say if I’d a gun I’d have shot him myself..

It is true however well you think you have them trained, there comes a better offer involving chasing and herding and they’re off..

What you need is a dog collar that explodes and blows their head clean off..

user-removed
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    I don’t believe that was a lab. Or a “poor guy”

Oh? Do tell! Was it you? I seem to recall it was something big and dopey (the dog, not the owner)….

My father in law would echo that sentiment. He’s trained three balck lab gundogs over the years, but they bought a scarily expensive lab last year, and it’s chuffin’ mental. Won’t do anything it’s asked to – very rarely off the lead. Causes huge amounts of strife, swearing and arguments!

martinhutch

my mate eventually arrives on the scene to witness me holding the sheep from the rear with it bucking about,

Amazing story you had to make up to explain what your mate saw you doing. Why not just own up?

wwaswas

Just saw this on twitter;

TERRIFY deer by randomly shouting ‘Benton’ whenever they are nearby.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh? Do tell! Was it you?

Aw, ok. My pointer caught a deer (in a ditch, didn’t chase it) and grabbed it by the head. I called her, she left it.
    The adrenaline was coursing when I posted a thread entitled “I bring you the Predator”! More because I was amazed that she could catch a deer. They are pretty fast, you know..
    Some horses became extremely high, I thought it was rather amusing personally. and I’m sure it was the thread that started my favourite STW phrase:
    “It could be a kid’s face next time” 😀

Dog has only caught rabbits and foxes since. Currently sporting a hole in her muzzle from fighting something or other in the field, probably a fox.
    She’s great these days. Butter wouldn’t melt.

bigsi
    Free Member

2 pages in & no TJ or Elf spouting their twaddle & copy/pasting sections of law books or H&S manuals.

Perhaps those monkey foreskins have got a life at last 🙄

Very funny vid btw & the Benton in London is genius 😆

Cougar

Insult of the week.

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks for the update DezB 😀 For the record, my lurcher chases anything small and furry (or even large and furry) but seems to have an innate knowledge of what not to chase. He’ll happily munch pheasants, but shows zero interest in hens, for instance.

He also likes a good foxy punch up and once spectaculary rolled off a garden shed whilst attached to two bushy-tailed urban foxes 😯 They started it.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It gets better..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFppcyRMRM4[/video]

derekrides
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    my mate eventually arrives on the scene to witness me holding the sheep from the rear with it bucking about,
    Amazing story you had to make up to explain what your mate saw you doing. Why not just own up?

Yeah that’s what he said, unlucky for him he wasn’t quick enough with the mobile phone cam.
    I might have been 😉 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Very funny vid

I think from now on the first question anyone with a dog should think should be………………..What would Benton do?

Reminds me of the time I spent 45 minutes chasing round after my pointer after he had found a deer leg in the park- he thought he was the dogs nadgers and was not going to let me have any I can tell you!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

2 pages in & no TJ or Elf spouting their twaddle & copy/pasting sections of law books or H&S manuals.

It’s quite refreshing!

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for the update DezB

Sod that! I want to be JUDGED!! 😆

user-removed
    Free Member

Pah! One deer? Benton chased a whole HERD of deer.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Believe me, there is no amount of training that can suppress the natural instinct in some dogs. Ours will heal, sit, lie down come on command, heck you could even put a steak on the floor in front of him and he wouldn’t touch it without permission, yet, have some sort of livestock around that he can chase and he suddenly turns deaf and ignores all commands! That’s why he goes on a lead around livestock. He would never attack an animal, just likes the chase unfortunately!!

Totally agree with that as I’ve been in the same situation as that bloke in the video.

Me and the missus were walking her black lab and jack russell puppy on the Quantocks a couple months ago. The lab was off his lead as he’ll never chase anything and the jack russell was on his but changed direction quickly when he spotted some horses and ripped the lead out of her hand. I must have chased him for half a mile before he stopped and that was only because one of the horses stopped to try and kick him.

And if that wasn’t bad enough once I’d got hold of him I had some old codger come over and attempt to give me a lecture about keeping dogs on leads!

DezB
    Free Member

What’s the dog’s name Mark?
    And does it go well with the phrase “OH JESUS CHRIST!” ?

benton
    Free Member

Woof!

Taff
    Free Member

Easier said than done with the dogs as said. We’ve had several well trained dogs over the years and there are occasional mishaps.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We need the Mods to have these attached to certain IP Addresses…

richc
    Free Member

Me and the missus were walking her black lab and jack russell puppy on the Quantocks a couple months ago

That’s why I find the Quantocks a pain, as you can never be sure if there are sheep around the next bend, hence I don’t ride with my dog there just incase.

The horses on the Mendips are good, as if a dog runs at them, they run straight back at them, which means that mine is now very scared of them.

DezB
    Free Member

The animals that don’t run, just aren’t interesting!

richc
    Free Member

at least yours only looks DezB, mine goes upto cows and licks there noses if we are lucky and arses if we aren’t

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

What’s the dog’s name Mark?
    And does it go well with the phrase “OH JESUS CHRIST!” ?

“Oh Jesus Christ Buddy” 😳

As far as stupid names go i reckon thats right up there with Benton 😆 You can tell a woman named him, I wanted him to be Dave but apparently that would have been a stupid name 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

Benton you terrible **** 😀

wwaswas

I knew someone with a dog called ‘Taxi’ – he decided he’d be more comfortable calling out that than ‘bingo’ or whatever.

As it turned out the joke wore off very quickly but the dog would never answer to anythign else so he used to end up stood in the middle of the park shouting ‘Taxi! Taxi!’ and gettign odd looks.

warton
    Free Member

have some sort of livestock around that he can chase and he suddenly turns deaf and ignores all commands!

My mums dog did that, she lives in the country, so she gave her dog (a terrier) to the Shepherd who put it in a small pen with a ewe and her lamb. believe me, 30 seconds in there, and she now looks the other way when we pass a field of sheep.

CaptJon
    Free Member

From the laugh at the end of the clip it sounds like Muttley filmed it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Perhaps those monkey foreskins have got a life at last

Can’t speak for TJ, but maybe it’s cos I was actually out riding my bike rather than getting my knickers in a twist over what someone said on the internet.. 😉

(I know, I know; how mad is that?? That I actually have a life? You must be so jealous)

Flattered that you pay me such attention though, as I’m sure TJ is too. Can’t remember anything you’ve ever posted on here so you can’t have posted owt of any interest, but it’s nice that you find my posts entertaining. And the best bit is, you get it for free! You lucky, lucky person you… 😀

(PS: Like the ‘monkey foreskin’ bit, even though it’s not kosher…)

catfood
    Free Member

Seen this happen in Richmond Park meself, the dog owner didnt seem to give a flying **** tho.

anagallis_arvensis

If my dog see’s some deer its game over, I just have to get the whistle out so that she can find her way back when she’s finished. Been to Richmond park with her a couple of times, she’s kept on the lead!

bedmaker

If my phone wasn’t decades old that might make a nice ringtone.

Might let my pal Benton know about it.

nonk
    Free Member

oh go on then ..

could be a child’s face next time.
    😉

ziggy
    Free Member

This has made my day 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, gutted the original has been taken off Youtube! 🙁
    (Found it on ThePoke’s website 🙂 )

LHS
    Free Member

Best edit i’ve seen!

Elmo
    Free Member

I just spat wine out at richc!

My collie will chase. He’s been known to catch the odd rabbit or squirrel.
    Fortunately/unfortunately he lacks that killer instinct. He’s caught 2 rabbits and lay on them! Pinned them to the floor.
    As you get close he stands up and off runs a bewildered looking bunny!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘You want to see a dog not under control?’ is closed to new replies.