Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • You can tell they are clutching at straws when…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

…Clegg’s Big Announcement is a plastic bag tax.

Stupid, unenforcable, dirigiste buffoonary.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It is a bit of a feeble policy but I don’t see how it’s unenforceable. Must be about the easiest thing to enforce.

highclimber
    Free Member

It’s not a plastic bag tax – it’s a re-usable bag supplement.

woody74

I agree its not exactly a big announcement but really should have be brought in years ago. Mental that England is the only country in the UK where this is not in place. Seems to work pertly well everywhere else.

This really should just be part of a larger announcement regarding waste or why can’t local councils just manage a rule like this.

onehundredthidiot

All plastic bags?

Shopping bags, frezer bags, bin bags, body bags?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Carrier bags from large retailers. I’d be surprised if the tory right allowed this to pass unchallanged.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

All plastic bags?

Shopping bags, frezer bags, bin bags, body bags?

I always re-use body bags so won’t impact on me.

woody74

I would say this is the classic example of why there either should be a separate English parliament or far more power devolved to local councils. Is this really something the British parliament should be dealing with. Not really in the same league as Syria or the economy.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I agree its not exactly a big announcement but really should have be brought in years ago. Mental that England is the only country in the UK where this is not in place. Seems to work pertly well everywhere else.

This really should just be part of a larger announcement regarding waste or why can’t local councils just manage a rule like this.

Yeah, it has worked elsewhere (Ireland, Wales). And the money from it goes to various charities rather than the chancellors back pocket. Personally I think it’s about time. It’s a drop in the ocean of course but regardless if it motivates people to stop using or re-use plastic carrier bags then no reason not to implement it

retro83
    Free Member

Labour to oppose “plastic bag tax which oppresses the poor” in 3,2,1…

scaredypants

So do we all buy bin liners now, or just tip our garbage straight into the wheelie bin ?

Being on the binwagon will be even less fun than it looks now in a couple of years

piemonster

I do hope Labour stand up for the poor, it’ll be them who suffer

Edit, bawbags. 46s too slow for the proper effect

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that when I was a kid you had to pay for plastic bags from Tesco so it’s not like it’s a new idea!

Dibbs
    Free Member

So do we all buy bin liners now, or just tip our garbage straight into the wheelie bin ?

+1

hora
    Free Member

Ban all carrier bags. Pay for them changes nothing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is this really something the British parliament should be dealing with. Not really in the same league as Syria or the economy

I did not realise there was a threshold of importance below which democracy and the law should not apply.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry. What should we do? Usher Muslim extremists in?

Right on Israels borders too.

Its ok though 1/2billion of taxpayers money is on its way to Syria. There will be British pensioners dying in the cold this winter too.

Good enough for you?

brakes
    Free Member

Pay for them changes nothing.

it eases the guilt of the middle classes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Take a good idea (reduce plastic bags), create a headline, fudge the details, execute poorly and forget about it 18 month later. Another gov botch in the making? We shall see.

Alternatively, simply encourage companies like Boots/Tesco to encourage good behaviour through points for recycling (what they do alread). Simple, job done.. Move on…..

Expect more silliness with Tories scared of UKIP and the LIbDems scared of the greens. Guaranteed to result in plenty of silly headline initiatives with bugger all follow through. It’s conference time!!!!!!

project
    Free Member

Does anyone actually have any intrest in what the lib dems are allowed to say by cameroonvague.con.

Like a wasp at a picnic, they have no power,are just attention seeking and are of litle intrest to the majority of people.

binners

What exactly were you expecting? Something resembling an economic policy worthy of the name? I think we’ll be waiting a while for that!

athgray
    Free Member

If I have to pay for a plastic bag, I would expect the quality to reflect the price paid. If the arse drops out of it when you leave the store could you be entitled to a free replacement or money back. Certainly would see paying for a biodegradable bag as poor value.
    Is this policy aimed at people who send carrier bags filled with carrier bags to landfill?

RustySpanner

It’s aimed at selfish tightwads who still use carrier bags despite having perfectly good alternatives available.

konabunny
    Free Member

Pet ASBOs.

br
    Free Member

Yeah, it has worked elsewhere (Ireland, Wales). And the money from it goes to various charities rather than the chancellors back pocket.

Are you sure? As Clegg said that it will go to the retailer who he ‘hopes’ will donate it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24088523

Does this change your view now, or are you happy that Tesco’s and the like will sell you a bag for 5p that cost them a fraction of a penny?

br
    Free Member

http://www.carrierbagchargewales.gov.uk/consumers/proceeds/?lang=en

already been ripped off in Wales too:

The money raised is collected by the retailer and the Welsh Government wants this to be passed on to good causes, preferably environmental good causes, here in Wales

bearnecessities

I reuse my bags anyhow, for rubbish (and taking lunch to work!).

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Does this change your view now, or are you happy that Tesco’s and the like will sell you a bag for 5p that cost them a fraction of a penny?

No. Besides I don’t use carrier bags, I have reusable bags for shopping. I didn’t need a 5p charge to remind me I shouldn’t endlessly use plastic bags every time I go shopping. Frankly I don’t care where the 5p goes, the government can have it. If it makes people have a re-think and more consideration about using or re-using bags.

Won’t somebody think of the turtles.

br
    Free Member

Frankly I don’t care where the 5p goes, the government can have it.

But that’s the point, it goes to the retailer – therefore just another area for them to profit from.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Frankly I don’t care where the 5p goes, the government can have it.

But that’s the point, it goes to the retailer – therefore just another area for them to profit from.

But I still don’t care. If it persuades people to re-use bags then everyone’s a winner. The environment is helped out (albeit in a very small way), and the supermarkets don’t get the 5 pence anyway. Just re-use bags or buy some of those ‘lifetime bags’. It’s not a big ask, it’s not a big expense.

I don’t see what is bad about it or why you are so determined to find fault with it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What narks me off is when you cycle to the supermarket (with limited carry space), and everything is MULTI-BUY special offers you can’t possibly fit in the panniers.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Last time I was in Wales the local shops just had a collection tin for two or three charities on the counter, if you wanted a bag you made a donation to whichever charity you preferred. Seemed to work very well, although the shopkeeper in one place did say that the locals weren’t at all happy with it.

jonba
    Free Member

We take our own bags to the supermarket. A large rucksac since I walk home.

However, when I get the internet delivery, every flippin item is in its own bag. I assume they won’t charge me for that or just deliver in boxes?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Interesting reading MTQGraham

Edit: where do I stand (environmentally) using disposable carrier bags as bin bags? I figure I either use the bags they give me for free, or I buy bin liners. When the 5p tax comes in I’ll probably resort to buying bin liners and use re-useable bags for the supermarket.

chewkw
    Free Member

Typical career politician coming up with half baked idea. Surprise? 😆

It’s very simple really.

1. Ban all free plastic bag especially those from supermarkets.

What is 5p or 10p if it means convenient for the shoppers? What can you buy with that? How many sweets can you buy with 10p?

Charging is not a solution.

2. Replace them with paper bags that is environmental friendly. That’s another controversy but at least it’s recyclable. Just don’t cut down the rainforest for it but I bet it will … can always use bamboo made paper bags. Bamboo grows quickly and it is grass which is good and Panda loves them.

3. Let people decide how they want to carry their food from supermarket. Tough shite if you are inconvenient … eat less buy less and carry less.

🙄

p/s: my shopping bag is Ortlieb messenger bag I bought from a STW member that will last me a life time 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well I think it is a good thing, though not really worthy of a big announcement at a party conference. I must have at least 10 or 15 ‘bags for life’ which I always forget to take with me to the supermarket so keep on bringing back 6 or 7 plastic bags every time I go to the supermarket. Once they start charging then I will definitely remember.

Seems ridiculous that the supermarkets can’t all get together to agree to do this between them rather than having to have politicians introduce it. What a waste of time.

But that’s coalition politics for you. The Lib Dems want it, they’ve got it, so can’t complain.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It’s aimed at selfish tightwads who still use carrier bags despite having perfectly good alternatives available.

use them as bin bags, rather than paying for a bag specifically for the purpose of putting it into a landfill, you mean?

I take reusable bags/backpacks whenever I shop, but if I end up buying more than they (and my hands) can carry, I take a carrier bag. I then use that to line my bin and bag up my waste. I havent bought a bin liner in years.

Carrier bags are a simplistic “quick fix” headline grabber, are you doing your bit for the enviroment if you put 3 re-usable bags in the back of your car and drive a 20mile round trip to the out-of-town superstore?

chewkw
    Free Member

If you pay say £30 for food per trip to the supermarket what is 30p (3 plastic carrier bags) or even 50p (5 plastic bags) if it means convenient for you?

🙄

fervouredimage
    Free Member

are you doing your bit for the enviroment if you put 3 re-usable bags in the back of your car and drive a 20mile round trip to the out-of-town superstore?

You’re doing something and something is better than absolutely nothing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘You can tell they are clutching at straws when…’ is closed to new replies.