Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Ying to my Yang (hobby content)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Most of the hobbies/sports I do, like many on here, are all adrenaline, risk orientated, fitness heavy related. Mountain biking obviously, bit of motocross, bit of 4X, some Road Cycling. Really love all of it but it would be nice to try something that isn’t all about fitness or risking injury or adrenaline.

Just curious what other interests/hobbies you all enjoy that perhaps nurture the inner geek or the creative side of you.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Learn to play Guitar/musical instrument(s)?

trevron73
    Free Member

I re took up MTB after after giving up kite surfing and I’m glad i found love for it again , i also dabble in a bit of audio production and dj as a hobby , been into it for about 16 years. The wife wishes i could find cheaper hobbies ?

SidewaysTim

Try archery. There’s geeky kit, singlespeeds, road and off road. Loads of clubs and competitions all over the place too.

It’s yin btw, not ying.

chakaping
    Free Member

Used to enjoy vegetable gardening.

Now unpaid childminding fills that time though.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Oops sorry. Yin.

I’ve tried to learn both the piano and guitar in the past. I’m just not coordinated enough… Or not patient enough.

I still love mountain biking, it’s not something I intend to give up but it would be nice to enjoy something a little less errrr sporty I guess. I’ve spent a big chunk of my life racing and competing. Would be nice to find something just to enjoy for the sake of enjoying it.

tlr

Photography is a good complement to a lot of sports.

It can get a tad expensive though….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve taken up archery as a more relaxing pursuit to MTB, slalom waterskiing and climbing/mountaineering. As ST says, there’s plenty of kit to froth over and fiddle with, nerdy stuff to learn and research. Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine, but with something to do. Standing/sitting around chatting to like minded people. Testing yourself and setting personal goals or just enjoying shooting arrows for a lark. A decent club will have lots of club comps, if that’s what you want. There’s different disciplines and types of bows to suit tastes.
    The only down side, because it’s a dangerous weapon, I couldn’t just turn up and join a club. I had to enroll on a beginner course and get a certificate before joining a club, which took quite a while after deciding I wanted to try it.

sc-xc

I love the gym, cycling and squash. I teach (and participate myself) kickboxing, so the yin to the hectic yang for me is Tai Chi. Quite fitting really.

trevron73
    Free Member

My wife is called Ying – she likes jigsaw puzzles she is a bit special like ?

totalshell

i do mtb, motorcycle trials, plastic kits and support a non league football team..Scarborough.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Cooking? About the only creative thing I do. Man cooking can involve alot of attention to detail and improvement/refinement over time. And you can eat it.

somouk
    Free Member

I do a lot of shooting, mostly service but also some civvy stuff at weekends. Can be a lot of calmness to the target shooting side of things and it’s excellent in the summer on the long ranges.

olddog

I paint. For something a bit more physical I do yoga, but that’s as much about keeping some flexibility in my old body as anything

Ambrose

Gardening. I really enjoy the anticipation of seeing what I’ve planned/ planted come to fruition.

SidewaysTim

Nana, what do you shoot? I’ve a Hoyt recurve, but haven’t shot for ages. My lad was National Junior Longbow Champion, but he got bored winning all the time, so the archery kind of fizzled out. I keep meaning to start again, maybe now I will.

Cougar

I’m a lapsed field archer too, used to shoot HT (recurve).

samuri
    Free Member

Drawing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nE15Wj]Brian and Angus – AC/DC[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

dan86
    Free Member

Drums, guitar, hiking, and something a little different, gold panning, when I’m up in Scotland. And this http://danuk86.deviantart.com/

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Macrophotography, film/music-making, watercolour painting, meditation, camping, swimming, plastic model aircraft-making, learning Guqin, cooking, lots of cooking – and other stuff like rockpooling, product design, eco-projects, building and sculpting with wood. Nothing beats yr brain for entertainment, as the Man once said.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dan86: very impressed.

willard

I do a fair bit of shooting with a civilian club and, if you believe my wife, have the Army as a hobby too. That’s nice because I get to shoot there too, although there is generally more paperwork involved. But that’s balanced out by shooting a lot more varied types of things that go bang.

I used to wakeboard, but I started getting old and less able to recover when I got seriously injured.

Tiger6791

Loom bands!

samuri
    Free Member

Just followed you on DeviantArt Dan, superb stuff. You should submit more art to #pencil-artists 😉

TheWrongTrousers

Aviation. Volunteer with a group who own a Second World War era Catalina flying boat. Get oily and smelly during the winter and get to fly all over Europe in it during the summer and visit airshows for free !

dan86
    Free Member

Thanks Eddie and Samuri, love that ACDC picture above, will be sorting my messages etc after pizza so will say hello! Don’t think I’m a member of pencil artists, will have to join!

matt_outandabout

Some of this is less frenetic than biking:

oldnick

Tinkering with my mk2 Golf. No rush as it’s my second car, so it’s very relaxing. Whether the old heap gets back on the road before petrol runs out is another matter.

andytherocketeer

… nurture the inner geek…

High Power Rocketry

also walking in mountains probably counts as not adrenaline and risk. taking photos too.

large418
    Free Member

Making things, currently an oak chassis for a shepherds hut for the OH’s 50th in a couple of years time.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sideways Tim – Member
    Nana, what do you shoot? I’ve a Hoyt recurve, but haven’t shot for ages. My lad was National Junior Longbow Champion, but he got bored winning all the time, so the archery kind of fizzled out. I keep meaning to start again, maybe now I will.

Target Recurve, I’m shooting with a Sebastian Flute, but looking at changing to a Hoyt or something else, the SF handle is a bit small and keeps creeping down in my hand. I’m working my way steadily thru the distances for personal achievement. Someone else on here said they also lost interest when they found it all too easy and were always winning their competitions.

samuri
    Free Member

Don’t think I’m a member of pencil artists, will have to join!

It’s the best! 😉 I see you’ve just submitted art to the other two groups I administer as well. 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Ying to my Yang (hobby content)’ is closed to new replies.