Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Yeti SB66 as a do it all bike?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a SB66 (alu) for a really good price but wondered what people thought about these?

I know it’s heavy, mind no heavier than the too big meta am I have now.

I’ve gone round and round on frame choice and travel and I keep coming back to the SB 66. I had ruled it out on price but the offer is really good.

I’ll only have one bike and it needs to be able to handle everything from the peak to trail centres and normal trails.

What other 150mm bikes should I be looking at?

campfreddie
    Free Member

Just building one now. Will let you know in due course,

dan45a
    Free Member

Go for it, with the right fork it can do anything. Avoid fox 32, go 36 or pike.

It may be heavier than some rivals but it feels light when going and very capable.

It’s one of my favourite bikes I’ve ever ridden. Only sizing issues stopped me buying one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi what sizing issues mate?

I’m 5ft7 so hoping a small would be just right.

banks
    Free Member

you ride the peaks not the alps..

Few issues with bearings – 2012 frames perhaps?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yep I ride the peaks and 150mm means I ride them with more confidence.

Banks if I remember right you ride a covert? Does the same statement apply?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I test rode a couple not as good as the SC Butcher I had at the time, I was really dissapointed because of all the hype about them, both where XT builds like my Butcher , felt really heavy to me.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I have to admit the weight does worry me. Would get me fitter mind.

Think I’m letting looks take control over function.

I know full well I don’t need 150mm but I also know it gives me a level of confidence.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a new SB66, with the carbon back end, and a cotic soul too, so I think they are two bikes that complement each other quite well and cover a broad spectrum of riding. The soul is 27lb, yeti is 3lb heavier, but rides pretty spritely. Awesome bike.

To be honest though, if I only had one bike. It would be a 130mm FS. and prob 650b for futureproofness.

banks
    Free Member

Yep I ride the peaks and 150mm means I ride them with more confidence.

Banks if I remember right you ride a covert? Does the same statement apply?

Yep, never really needed tbh and if i was given a fresh slate i’d be building something around 130/140 mm.

Made the mistake of demo’ing a few other/smaller travel bikes and i reckon (all in my imo of course) i got far more out of the bike/riding along as it was lighter and less point and squirt.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Banks I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah it’s a choice between a 150mm bike like the sb66/covert or a total change to around the 130mm mark with a mega tr or a transition bandit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve had a shot of the bandit, but not the mega tr, and I don’t think for the extra travel that the SB66 is any more sluggish, even on XC stuff.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm Nobeer, I feel like if I go 130mm there is a chance I will regret it. If I stick with the sb66 with my pikes I’ll be sorted.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If yer near ayrshire, yer more than welcome to have a blast on it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Stockport mate but I appreciate the offer.

What size is yours? Do you find it sizes up big?

banks
    Free Member

I’m in a similar dilemma but every time i take the covert out i’m laughing but it is a big bike if you know what i mean.

Know a few folk who have got SB66’s and they’ve all said it’s the best bike they’ve ever owned!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

big question – have you actually ridden one?
    Are you looking at 26″ frames?
    There were some cheap Blur LTc’s in france in another thread 140mm but you won’t notice the 10mm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stockport mate but I appreciate the offer.

What size is yours? Do you find it sizes up big?

Not really, compared to my large soul, the TT length measures up exactly the same. It’s longer than my old heckler, but it was very short indeed. I do to get the common belief that they are very long, maybe I’m a bit odd!.

stewartc
    Free Member

Go for it, have been very lucky to have a SB66c as my only bike for the last 15 months and loved it.
    Used for everything from a little XC (hard work) to DH weekends though some people find the long toptube maybe a little stretched out for their riding style I like it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden one yet but the price is online.

Where where the blur ltc’s?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in this thread, probably worth a read considering they are comparing the SB66
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sb66-mojo-or-blur-ltc

kiwijohn

Do it.
    It is the best bike I’ve ever owned, especially with a Pike.

dan45a
    Free Member

MoseyMTB, sizing wise a small would seem right at your height. I’m 5’8″ and had a deal lined up on a medium but found it slightly too big. I was gutted as loved the way the sb66 rode, super confident on the descents, slack, low and manoeuvrable, climbed really well also.
    I ended up getting medium Enduro s works frame which was shorter and fitted that bit better. Amazing do it all bike also.

justinbieber

I got one towards the end of last year to replace my Five, so the weight isn’t too noticeable. It rides really well, and doesn’t feel draggy or slow (at least no worse than any other bike with 2.35 High Rollers).

All in all, it’s a fantastically capable bike – and it really does like to go fast.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Weight wise it’s not a problem as the frame is already lighter than my current meta.

ChrisI

stewartc – Member

Go for it, have been very lucky to have a SB66c as my only bike for the last 15 months and loved it.
    Used for everything from a little XC (hard work) to DH weekends though some people find the long toptube maybe a little stretched out for their riding style I like it.
    Couldn’t agree more. Coming from a 130mm Stumpy FSR, the SB66c actually climbs and descends better! For 150mm it doesnt feel wallowy, its very taught in the suspension, you have to push it to get it going which means on XC it behaves much more like a shorter travel bike. Its only on the proper downs that it gets more into its travel, soaking up the big hits when required. Awesome bike!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m off to to ride a friends tomorrow so hopefully if all goes well I’ll be spending the tax refund check that’s been sat in my draw for two weeks.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

575 is probably more a ‘do it all’ bike imho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mosey, YGM

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

What makes you say the 575 would make a better do it all bike? Plus the only 575 I can find is a 2011 and has the carbon rear end that I believe was prone to snapping.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Dan45a if the medium was too big did you try a small?

dan45a
    Free Member

No, Could only get a deal on a medium sb66 as it was in stock at my lbs. It sold pretty quickly as was a good deal. The sb is a long bike. Perhaps with a 40mm stem would have been ok.

One other comment about how well it climbs, I had a 26lb yeti asr5c (medium) when I tried the sb66 Alu, and I found it climbed almost as well. Don’t get me wrong it would be harder over a 40km long ride, but over a couple of hours the extra weight wasn’t noticeable to me.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah my medium meta at the moment has a 595mm top tube which is fine with my 50mm stem and the SB66 is shorter at 589mm so should be just about perfect.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well after test riding the other day I ordered my frame and it turned up today.

I was worried about weight but it’s definitely lighter than the meta am it replaces.

Pity I’m too ill to get any further, the delivery man looked shocked when I opened the door in my pants sweating.

Not the best picture I know.

Rich
    Free Member

Very nice.

Where did you order it from in the end?

bigjim

good work, I imagine they’ll be hard to get hold of soon. Almost tempted myself but I love my ASR5 and what difference can an extra inch make…

ChrisI

You’ll love it – well done 😀

I would make sure you whack a 50mm stem on it, shortens it up a bit (as it is a long frame) and gives nice balanced handling.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Reading whilst scrolling down on my phone I was expecting a picture of you sweating in your pants.

Expecting, not hoping!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha ha I’m back in bed now as the toilet floor got too uncomfortable.

It won’t be getting built up for a few days as when I stand up in go dizzy.

I’ve got a 60mm stem which was fine on my longer meta so I’ll see.

Bigjim why hard to get hold of?

NormalMan

Look forward to the build pics.

I really like Yeti.

Get well soon!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66 as a do it all bike?’ is closed to new replies.