Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Yeti SB66 as a do it all bike?
  • bigjim

Bigjim why hard to get hold of?

they’ve stopped making them. lots of threads about it on the mtbr yeti forum, basically they couldn’t sell enough to justify keeping it in the product line, even though people like Graves will still be racing the SB66 this year. ASR5 is also deceased.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh right, not impressed by that. Hopefully I’ll still be able to get parts/bearings etc a couple of years down the line.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

They’re the same parts/bearing on the sb75/95 and they’re not going anywhere

bigjim

yeti sell spare parts for bikes that they stopped making donkeys ago, you’ll be fine.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Good good, after the season Graves had on it I’m surprised they have to drop it.

My frame was a bargain anyway and paid by mr taxman so all is good.

honourablegeorge

bigjim – Member

they’ve stopped making them. lots of threads about it on the mtbr yeti forum, basically they couldn’t sell enough to justify keeping it in the product line, even though people like Graves will still be racing the SB66 this year. ASR5 is also deceased.

The SB75 ends up with the same travel as the ASR5, but it’d heavier than the (already heavy) SB66.

They’ve left themselves a weird and undesirable lineup, IMO – ASR5 is one bike I was always very tempted by, just looked a fun bike, light & slack. Dunno who the SB75 appeals to – if you want an Enduro bike, you can get a Bronson which is similar, lighter bike with more travel, or if you want a trail bike, a 3010 is the same travel and wheel size, but miles lighter.

A proper, 150/160mm SB75 and a 650 version of the ASR-5 would have made so much more sense.

ChrisI

Yeti have said they will continue to make the SB66 is bike shops order them, no orders, no SB66. They even admitted its the bike they all like riding the most. Doesnt sound like they’re getting rid of the moulds or owt, maybe just waiting for the 27.5 thing blow over before rolling out a “new and improved” 26″ wheeled new bike 👿

bigjim

a 650 version of the ASR-5

I think I read on mtbr the new 575 has the rear suspension tuned more like the ASR5 was than the old 575. Quite happy with 26″ myself though!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well for the price I paid I’m more than happy.

Can’t wait to get better and get it built. Half term next week so hopefully then.

That’s if, and it’s a big if, this chocolate fountain stops running!

Apologies if you’re eating your tea.

jim25

so where did you buy it?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My friend got it from his lbs. He said I wasn’t to name names due to the staff discount he got.

Put it this way it’s a uk shop so silverfish will be happy.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Gotta keep silverfish happy haven’t we. You wouldn’t want to make them angry now would you!

honourablegeorge

bigjim – Member

I think I read on mtbr the new 575 has the rear suspension tuned more like the ASR5 was than the old 575.

Even odder – the 575 has 145mm travel. The SB75 has 127. Go figure.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Campfreddie I daren’t upset them after the outburst at you.

The way I see it you were helping a poor guy in France keep his job too.

In the words of the immortal MJ

“Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for me and the entire human race (including France)”

😉

chiefgrooveguru

Yetii (sp?) are popular in my riding circles, a few ASR5s and SB66s, with very happy owners. I was quite tempted by an SB66… The SB75 and new 575 are confusing though – the 575 has more travel and slacker angles but is significantly lighter.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Yeti are rumoured to be working on a revised SB66 frame for 650b wheels, it will be a 160mm bike and have a revised eccentric link also. It will replace the current 26″ model and I presume the current 650b model also.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

you can get a Bronson which is similar, lighter bike with more travel

You could, but I’ve always found Santa Cruz to be a weird shape, too short for their height. I’ve never had one I’ve really got on with.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Plus the Bronson is way out of my price range. The SB66 was under a £900, frame only, after staff discount.

banks
    Free Member

Don’t see many Yeti’s around either whereas every man and his dog has got a bronson now

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

moseymtb, is the frame carbon or alloy? its hard to tell from that pic!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Alloy mate. I’m not convinced by carbon just yet.

Weight wise it’s lighter than the meta am it replaces.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

was gonna say if you got that for £900 and its carbon, then what a bargain, still a bargain i reckon, like you say its a step up from your commencal for probably not much cash to swap it, so a bit of a win win, and if you dont like it i doubt you’d lose that much anyways for £900

bigjim

Gotta keep silverfish happy haven’t we. You wouldn’t want to make them angry now would you!

get over yourself 🙄

Yeti are rumoured to be working on a revised SB66 frame for 650b wheels, it will be a 160mm bike and have a revised eccentric link also. It will replace the current 26″ model and I presume the current 650b model also.

Yeah the yeti guy that posts on mtbr has said there is some new stuff in the pipeline, I’m sure they’ll get back on track.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

To be honest I love the meta it’s just I got medium and finally had to admit it was too big.

If it had fitted I’d have kept it.

honourablegeorge

bungalistic – Member

That makes a lot more sense. SB75 strikes me as a rush job to get a 650 bike to market ASAP.

honourablegeorge

MoseyMTB – Member
    Plus the Bronson is way out of my price range. The SB66 was under a £900, frame only, after staff discount.

Was more talking about the 75. The 66 for that price is a no brainer.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah I see, that makes more sense.

honourablegeorge

This is a pretty ominous quote for 26″ fans – this from a Yeti employee who posts on MTBR

we added a carbon rear end and 12×142 thru axle to the 66A from last year (probably a $400 upgrade?) and dropped the price by $250. Preseason sales were nearly non-existent.

Guys, I appreciate all the design and business advice, but I can assure you that we exhausted every conceivable possibility before deciding to wind down production on what is the all-time favorite bike for most of our staff. In the end, very few shops wanted the bike badly enough to commit to it during our preseason selling period, and when the market speaks, we listen.

Apparently, they had 12 orders for the bike.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Mine is last years frame and has an alloy rear and 142×12.

Did they offer 2 models of the aluminium?

honourablegeorge

MoseyMTB – Member
    Mine is last years frame and has an alloy rear and 142×12.

Did they offer 2 models of the aluminium?

They did full bikes called SB66 Comp (All aluminium) and SB66A (carbon rear), I think. Not sure how the frames were done.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah ok, mine was called, on the paperwork, SB66a which I’m guessing differentiates it from the comp.

campfreddie
    Free Member

The Yeti SB66 ‘Comp’ is essentially the 2013 Yeti SB66 all-alloy frame, but offered as a complete build to the US market for 2014 with a lower-spec shock.

The Yeti SB66A is a 2014 model frameset which combines the alloy fore-triangle with the SB66C carbon rear end.

You shouldn’t really be able to buy a Yeti SB66 Comp frame on it’s own (although I did from a French shop, although it came with a proper Kashima CTDa shock… naughty little me!).

If you have an alloy back end, then you have the same frame as me.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

All UK SB66’s have Kashima.
    What you’ve got Mosey (and campfreddie) is an SB66 2013. It’s identical to the 2014 model except that 2014 has a carbon backend.
    Comp wasn’t a different frame to anything we sold throughout the whole of 2013 it was merely a term that Yeti used to differentiate between the two and build into some ‘budget’ complete bikes in the US.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apparently, they had 12 orders for the bike.

Excellent, I won’t see many others out and about then!. Love mine.

About half way up the cobbler today –

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66 as a do it all bike?’ is closed to new replies.