Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Yeti Arc Carbon 29er
  • mherbie
    Free Member

Has anybody ridden a Yeti Arc Carbon 29er, I’ve searched but all I can find is rehashed versions of the Yeti press release, probably a bit new for any reviews yet?

charliemort

don’t think they are even in the states yet (on a ship somewhere)

oh and start saving – £1800 I think…….. does look nice though

mherbie
    Free Member

cheers £1800 😮 😳

exiger
    Free Member

I emailed Silverfish a week ago and they said first few frames are due mid May.

Can’t make my mind up the ARC or Intense Hard Eddie.

camwba96
    Free Member

Thats £1800 just for the frame though!

ratherbeintobago

Thats £1800 just for the frame though!

It is, and while it’s frantic, it’s only about £100 more than eg. a Niner Air 9 Carbon.

exiger
    Free Member
    amplebrew

I noticed Basecamp Bikes have one in as I peered in through the window earlier today.

Looks really nice from what I could see, but £1800 seems an awful lot of cash for an off the peg carbon frame.

TheGingerOne

The Intense Hard Eddie is £1650, Santa Cruz Highball is £1700 so it is at the high end of the price scale for a carbon 29er boutique frame, but I’d pay the extra myself for a ‘proper’ bottom bracket 😮 Also, the 2014 Salsa El Mariachi Ti frame will be £2000 when it lands in September for a frame material comparison.
    It makes me wonder quite what an On One carbon frame is made from etc given the price differential.

jonkineticcycles
    Free Member

It truly is a beautiful frame, comes 142×12 as standard and the “looped” rear stats are truly magnificent. If you’re near-ish Hertfordshire, we’ve just built up a large demo bike with 32 100mm Kashima, RF Six C bars and cranks (turquoise of course), 1 x 10 XT and a set of Roval Control Carbons. It’s available to demo now and ill whack some pictures up tomorrow morning

amplebrew

Are they geared only or can they be run as singlespeed without an ugly tensioner?

LeeW

Just to tempt you on a Hard Eddie…

amplebrew

That looks fantastic 8)

And can be run singlespeed according to Intense.

exiger
    Free Member

Thanks Lee, I could still be interested if you change your mind about sell it.

Crell
    Free Member

<heritage>ARC = Alumin(i)um Racing Cycle</heritage>

Calling a CF frame an ARC really is taking the proverbial.

That Intense is very nice. Reminds me of a Corratec (in a good way).

honourablegeorge

“Aluminium Replacing Cycle”

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

“Aluminium Replacing Carbon”

… I’ll get my coat.

jonkineticcycles
    Free Member
    charliemort

@ thegingeone

yes – and what are those £300 chinese ebay specials made of??

are yeti and co. pulling our plonkers turning stuff out made of the same stuff for £1500 more? Or is the cheapo stuff err well cheapo…….

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

They could hardly call it ‘CRC’ – would have to paint it blue and yellow then 🙂

TheGingerOne

So, has anybody got one and are they able to give a review of the frame? Is it stiff, comfortable, any annoying issues etc or is it great?

TheGingerOne

Just a little update to say that I took the plunge on a Yeti ARC Carbon. All I can say is goodness gracious me it is fast. I’ve not built it up stupidly light or expensively (Fox forks, 1×10 XT, Hope Crest wheels, Renthal fatbar lite bars, Thomson stem and seatpost etc), but it ended up weighing 23.5 lbs and it is lovely. It is really well balanced front to back so jumps off any little mound really nicely. It flies uphill, on the flat and downhill as well. (Ridden at home on the Chilterns and also a ride on Exmoor so far). It just motors along with very little effort. It is direct but not in a bad stiff way. Really seems to go where it is pointed with tapered steerer and bolt through forks and then the rear just follows nicely.
    I don’t think it has taken much re-adjustment coming from an On One original geared Tinbred to be honest, yes it is clearly different, but it does not feel like I’m having to learn how to ride it or anything. Still getting used to tubeless wheels and it does need less air in the tyres than I’m used to and it is noticeably more stiff if the pressure is a bit high. Think I’ve them down to about 30psi now.

Not sure it is the greatest early mini review going, but I am very pleased with it, and it looks gorgeous too 🙂

tang
    Free Member

Pics?

TheGingerOne

It’s a medium:

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My crap £300 Chinese jobby…

I decided to not pay an extra grand for a sticker 🙂

TheGingerOne

Thanks for your input

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I found your “It makes me wonder quite what an On One carbon frame is made from etc given the price differential” statement amusing.

I doubt there is any difference, apart from a badge…

The finish on mine is superb. The internal cable routing is perfect.

oxym0r0n

^ 😆

I can testify that thegingerones bike goes like stink, is lovely – light yet planted and I imagine backed by a substantial warranty…

Stickers look good too 😀

johnnystorm

Aluminium Racing Cycle?! 🙄

Alloy Racing Composite 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Seriously, would be great if someone from Intense/Niner/Yeti would explain to us where the value is in their expensive frames compared to the cheapies. Genuine question.

@ginger lovely looking bike tho I find myself preferring the Intense on looks at least. Ride it hard.

mattjg
    Free Member

oh and stickers off those rims please

TheGingerOne

Fair enough, each to their own.

Luckily I’ve made over £1200 profit in 18 months on a £1000 investment in Lloyds shares so I’m happy to spend my spare cash on nice things 🙂

The mechanic did say that he had never seen such a well finished frame internally as this and was impressed:

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve had Lloyds shares since 2007 … so that’s not helping.

TheGingerOne

My understanding is that there are different types or grades of carbon fibre and obviously the better is more expensive as a ‘strand’, much like the difference between the grades of steel produced by Reynolds etc. Plus there is a difference in the layup of the carbon which has an effect on the ride and feel of the frame etc. The time it takes to layup the carbon by hand probably also differs across the price points as well as the R&D costs that were involved in designing said frame.
    I don’t need to justify my choice, but if you look at it rationally then there are clearly reasons for the difference which might in your opinion add up to the difference in frame price or not.
    Some people seem happy to pay for expensive components to hang on a cheap frame while others do the opposite and others have a level of components that matches their level of frame.

compositepro
    Free Member

<heritage>ARC = Alumin(i)um Racing Cycle</heritage>

Calling a CF frame an ARC really is taking the proverbial.

That Intense is very nice. Reminds me of a Corratec (in a good way).

yeti have done carbon before, the C26

iirc frank waddleton or chris herting said ARC stood for Aluminium or Alloy racing Composite

http://www.yeti-c26.net/history.html

ijs445ra
    Free Member

mmm really like the look of the arc. Got a yeti bigtop but that is tempting…damn!

bones76
    Free Member

I think there is only one way to sort this…Why don’t you meet for a race!

ChunkyMTB £300 frame verses TheGingerOne’s £1800 frame! Both look nice but which is faster??!! 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

😀 8)

bones76
    Free Member

Come on TheGingerOne where are you??!! I was hoping to make some money by taking bets!!!

So far ChunkyMTB we have a clear winner!! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Yeti Arc Carbon 29er’ is closed to new replies.