Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help! My Fox Floats need new everything – better to repair or replace?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Sent off my ageing Fox Float F100 RL 32 forks and Mojo say one stanchion is so bad they need to replace the whole top everything and this will cost me £306 all told, while equivalent forks new would be £800. Ouch.

Is it worth paying the £300 or should I find some second-hand replacements – or trawl the Internet for some cheaper new replacements – there seem to be a lot (out of stock) reduced from £800 to £350ish.

Thanks for any advice!

DezB
    Free Member
    Fin
    Free Member

Depends on the cond of the rest of it I suppose and if you are happy with the performance

£306 is a lot – but they should come back like new and last the same amount of time again, or longer if you get them serviced regularly, when a big bit goes it usually makes me think about a new bike

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    campfreddie
    Free Member

I just paid £125 posted for a pair of secondhand F100 RL 32’s… Non-tapered, decent steerer length, qr axle, white, freshly serviced, unmarked stanchions and very few marks on the lowers.

Sure, I took the risk that they would be as described, but I’m pretty chuffed with them. They’ve just gone on to my OnOne Titanium project build.

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks everyone
    DezB – they have everything except what I need 🙁
    Freddie – these forks were also cheap S/H

I suppose the question really is whether refurbished forks are as good as new ones???

bigblackshed

300 notes to make them like new? Difficult one really. To replace, like you said is £800, ouch!!!!, which is a lot of money for delicate forks. The service intervals are not very long TBH.

Does a £400 fork perform as well? I know my RS Revs are as good as the Talas I had before. And don’t need the time and attention.

campfreddie
    Free Member

RS Rebas all day long. You can get a new pair for nicely less than £300.

Nice and light, longer service interval and pretty simple to set up in solo-air guise.

PJM1974
    Free Member

FWIW I’d be swapping my brand allegiance to Rockshox. There’s no way in a million years I’d fork out (excuse me) £306 to revive a set of Fox forks when you could source a set of Rebas from Merlin for approximately the same price.

I’ve had 32mm Rockshox forks for nearly eight years now…they’re a doddle to service, they’re easy to use and I’ve never had stanchion wear.

tops5
    Free Member

Hmmmmm same boat here but 36’s cant stretch to new big forks so its S/H 36 or Lyriks for me. Can anyone comment on air Lyriks vs Floats?

plyphon
    Free Member

I’d be asking whether I really need £800 quid forks when I don’t have my own pit mechanic team to do my own bike setup, maintenance and cleaning.

Get some cheaper, more reliable, more resistant forks, imo

PJM1974
    Free Member

It depends a lot on how old your Fox forks are – there’s no question that the top end Rockshox damper is top drawer from what I’ve been told.

xiphon
    Free Member

This is STW, of course he needs £800 forks

chrispo
    Free Member

Ha! In my defence the forks only came off while I spend the winter riding rigid singlespeed, is that STW enough for you? 🙂

But no, I don’t need £800 forks. I certainly can’t afford any. I think I paid £200 for these ones two years ago. But I do race XC and endurance regularly at a reasonable level so I could do with some half-decent forks that actually work rather than just add weight and take the occasional big hit.

I just wondered whether spending £300 would get me the equivalent of new £800 forks. But it looks like I’ll be delving into the lucky dip of the second-hand market once again 🙁

PJM1974
    Free Member

I just wondered whether spending £300 would get me the equivalent of new £800 forks. But it looks like I’ll be delving into the lucky dip of the second-hand market once again

Not at all, I think if you go down the Rockshox Reba route you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

mokl
    Free Member

Rebas or SIDs all day long in my opinion.

chrismac

Second hand would be my solution too. I just got some 140 fox RLCs with a fit cartridge, QR15 for £150 and they are great.

adsh
    Free Member

No way will Rebas be as good as a set of tuned foxs (I know I have some and they are precisely weight adding big hit savers) Maybe once they’ve been serviced and set up but thats an extra £110 which reduces the differential plus what will you get for a set of honestly described shagged Fox forks?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hmmmmm same boat here but 36’s cant stretch to new big forks so its S/H 36 or Lyriks for me. Can anyone comment on air Lyriks vs Floats?

Lyriks by a country mile.

njee20
    Free Member

What do you need?

I’ve got some Float 32 100mm FIT RL Remote forks – tapered steerer, remote lockout, Kashima uppers, QR dropouts that I’ll be selling.

chrispo
    Free Member

Uh-oh, more conflicting information!!

Njee – shame, I need a straight 1 1/8″ steerer

earl_brutus

By these Forks problem is solved

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help! My Fox Floats need new everything – better to repair or replace?’ is closed to new replies.