Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Yeti 575 v. Spesh Enduro v. Orange 5 v. Whyte E5 – your thoughts please
  • catnash
    Free Member

medium for an enduro.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Another happy 575 owner here. Can't add much to what's already been said,it's the best climbing bike that I've tried/owned.
    The Orange 5 is more responsive ,you'd be happy with ether of those.

guido

small 575 for someone 5'8".
    my small 575 is larger than my old medium stumpy. im 5'7" BTW

yoshimi

Can we get a definitive on sizes please – I'm hearing medium for enduro which is what I'd expect and small for Yeti which I wouldn't – anyone?

Also I'm 16st of ripped muscle (sort of) – any issues with Yeti carbon rear I should know about?

cheers

uplink
    Free Member

Can you not go & bounce on one somewhere?

lowey

Out of your list Danny, I'd plump for the Yeti. Heard nothing but good reports about them.

Sure your budget cant stretch to a Turner ?

Also, might be worth dropping Deejay a line. Think he has test rode most of them bikes.

yoshimi

Belive me I'd love a 5-spot but talking another £500 for the frame compared to the Yeti………….with work being so secure ;( I'm trying to make this all cost neutral – basically ending up with one bike, should get around £1350 once all the bits I'm seling have gone (nearly there) so that sort of adds up to a Yeti and new fork nicely

………..just headsing off to look for cheap 5spots

doug_basqueMTB.com

The small yeti is huge. It's a LOT taller than my medium hustler. I thought that the rear end was pretty flexy and at 16stone it might be worth having a good old test before you do anything.

lowey

You could always have a word with Chris at Life Cycles see if he can do you a deal on a turner. Not sure if he is still a Turner dealer though.

guido

At 16st dont even look at the carbon yeti. go for the alu carbon.
    lots of details on sizing on yetifan etc.
    also a yeti 575 vid on u tube that says about weight limits.

yoshimi

Balls -quick somebody tell me I should just get a Chumba XCL for £899 of si-progressive

catnash
    Free Member

Cant see why not it is a 4-bar design and I like those. Have a word with Si, It all comes down to cost etc etc. A comlete bike is cheaper, I had a 08 S-works carbon enduro with headset without the seatpost for £849…

si-wilson
    Free Member

Balls -quick somebody tell me I should just get a Chumba XCL for £899 of si-progressive

Do it!! 🙂

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Another one for the pot…… Trance X0 running a Fox 36 – plenty built up like this on MTBR Giant forum. Mine has a 32RLC and comes in at just under 26lbs. Climbs really well, comes down even better. I weigh 18.5 stone!!

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

I've had a 575 carbon since July and best bike i've ever riden by far. Its like a soft magic carpet. The one like Alladdin has. Sorry but best way to describe the ride. 😀

charliemort

well I'm nearly 16 stone of ex prop and have had no problems – and whilst no Steve Peat years of motorbike enduro mean I don't hold back – had a good day out in the Basque region a while back with Doug (above) – hi Doug!!

I did break a swingarm once – an alloy FSR one

that youtube vid is complete bollox – could have been you or me. Yeti have stated somewhere there is no weight limit

if it did break, I'd be confident Yeti would sort it quickly

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

whyte e5 has a weight limit…great bike tho'

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

I ride the Enduro SL Expert with E150, and unfortunately can't speak for the other bikes. I can say the Enduro is a great all rounder, great all-dayer, fantastic at climbing and awesome at descending. Once dialled in correctly the fork is very good. If you're interested I've got a load of images and a mini review, Images and Review: Specialized Enduro SL Expert.

The Santa Cruz Blur is also a very tasty ride worth considering. And whilst at Afan recently I hired a nearly new Kona One20 and enjoyed in immensely.

In either case, be patient and try to get a test ride on each model. Good luck

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi Charlie! I'd forgotten that you had a new style 575. Hope you had a good rest of your holiday, it was fun showing you round Jaizkibel.

I've got to say that Charliemort is a big lad and rides his bike fast as well so if he's not had any problems with the Yeti swingarm that's a good advert!

badblood
    Free Member

I must be getting on for 16 stone kitted up and have taken my 575 off 2-3 foot drops with no issues. Any rear end issues people have had have been sorted by Yeti very quickly. The rear end on mine is absolutely fine and I find the bike inspires loads of confidence, roack gardens roots or drops the bike takes them all.

forge197
    Free Member

yoshimi – that's a good deal on the XCL you know you want it…. I prefer mine to the Orange 5's I've had too.

yoshimi

I'm off to leisure lakes shortly, I know they have, 575, enduro and orange in, so gonna squeeze a few brake levers and compress some forks, see if I can get a test ride on them too- this is turning out to be z log harder than I thought, sorta think the chumba might be a bit too burley and heavy but I do ride hard and that's why the yeti concerns me, I suppose there is a five year warranty tho…………doh!

forge197
    Free Member

My XCL is 32lbs and it's got some heavy wheels and a mix of SLX components and heavy bars, you can build a XCL to 27lbs ish if you have the inclination.

I don't think of it as a burly bike but it does feel more substantial than the Pitch but more solid like a Orange 5 feels.

Enjoy your search today always nice looking for new bike.

yoshimi

Cheers forge, gotta say, the chumba us a very good looking bike- I'm actually off to wheelbase now, didn't realize it was that shop in stavely, only an hour from here- and you're right, it is very enjoyable looking for a new bike:))))

charliemort

so you get us all excited about your shopping and then don't tell us about it……………..

lowey

He got a 575. The bastard sent me a picture of it on his living room floor on Saturday. He could barely contain his excitement.

I hate him.

easygirl

im 6 4 and 16 stone

ive got a 2008 enduro sl in LARGE with e150 forks and it is superb, climbs fanatstically, descends great, never complained in the italian alps in summer, very light, and looks great IMHO. i bought it as a frame and fork package for £1400
    i used to have a new style yeti 575, and did not like it at all, the back end felt very flexy under pedalling, i know 2 people who have snapped the carbon rear end, so i would say if you do pick the yeti go for the alu version. i sold the yeti after 4 months
    for me the deal breaker for the enduro is the 5 year warranty on fork/shocks, i have returned the fork once for a new cartridge when i first got it, but since then it has been great, and spesh nevr complain about returns

guido

so what size did he get?

yoshimi

Sorry guys, I've spent the last few days just stroking it! As lowey said, I went for the 575, in medium. Managed a test ride on the orange, spesh and 575. It was close between the enduro and 575, but just couldn't resist the swoopy purposeful lines of the yeti:). 5 year warranty on the frame so if it does snap (I really hope not) then I'm covered ( not if I crash it tho). Only got a pic on my phone but will post one up as the build progresses. Look out for a 'what forks for a 575' thread soon. Cheers for all of the comments and help:)

uplink
    Free Member

Good choice – Wheelbase?

yoshimi

Yep, got it from whhelbase- highly recommended- good staff in there

DezB
    Free Member

just couldn't resist the swoopy purposeful lines of the yeti

Imagine how happy you'd have been with one of the proper shaped ones! 😉

Good choice – hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine. Over 3 years now, still don't want anything else.

guido

Amazed you got a medium at 5'8"

did you not read those threads on Yetifan?

yoshimi

Turns out I'm actually 5'9- I'm sure that didn't make the difference, but I must be one of these people with oddly proportioned bodies. I went out for a good ride on them leaving my wife as insurance- medium just felt right and comfy, looking forward to an all day epic:)

lowey

Was your misses still there ?

Shandy
    Free Member

There are definitely times when I would swap my missus for a 575.

charliemort

I'm 6' and on a large with 70mm stem. Many would swear I should be on a medium, but medium felt too small – bashing elbows on knees. I prefer a bit of room

so don't listen to 'em…………..

what did Wheelbase have to say about failing rear triangles out of interest? Bromley Bike whenever I've spoken to them have said they have seen very few back (if any)

yoshimi

She was the one with the card…just need to pay her back now!

charlie – I did ask about the carbon rear triangles and my weight <cough>, specifically is there any sort of weight limit – he said no and its just rubbish spread on internet forums and he's only ever seen problems with the stays popping out of the drop-outs but thats very rare. He also reminded me that the frames have a 5 year warranty. Obv he's trying to make a sale and I'm sure there are cracked 575's out there but hopefully those occurences are a low proportion of those sold.

The whole bashing elbows on knees was exactly whatr I thought about the small one!

ddmonkey

Can't go wrong with an orange 5 IMHO – no bike puts a smile on my face like it. I've got a 2006 frame with a new RP23 and some Z1 SL's on it, its a lot of fun and doesn't blow through the mid range of the travel so quickly with the RP23. That's not to say all the other bikes mentioned aren't great too, but I like lively ride you get from a 5. I can't fault it.

easygirl

i dont think a salesman with a potential sale of a 575 would tell a customer that there are problems with the stays snapping.
    good thing is yeti will warranty it, so no problems at all, but it does happen, mind you stuff breaks from all makers, so dont worry about it,

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 v. Spesh Enduro v. Orange 5 v. Whyte E5 – your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.