Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Yeti 575 v. Spesh Enduro v. Orange 5 v. Whyte E5 – your thoughts please
  • yoshimi

I'm looking at getting a new frame. I've ridden the both the Whyte & Orange and really liked them. I love the look of the Yeti and always fancied an Enduro with that E150 fork but never ridden them. I'm concerned about full suspebsion in general as all of my XC is now done on a hardtail; I used to have a Reign, which was a great bike and much fun, but on long rides I just found it tiring with all that weight.

Basically I want something that will carry me through long rides in the lakes……..I know the Whyte would……..what are your thought on the others?

Dango
    Free Member

The E150 isnt a great fork IMO, I swapped mine out for a Van36 and the bike is now lovely, I rode my mates 575 and it felt very similar

http://bikescene.co.uk are a good source for frame only/+fork deals

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

A little biased to, however I like the E150, just wind it down on the climbs.

yoshimi

Both of those look very purposeful – just what are they like on the ups? Are they ok, or not that great but worth it for the downs (which my Reign was)?

nickegg
    Free Member

I have an 2009 Orange 5 and my wife a 2008 Yeti 575.

Both are great. I'd say the 5 picks up speed very quickly and the Yeti climbs superbly (and is very light for the travel) but isn't quite as involving as the 5.

Not sure that helps you much 🙂

I can tell you that both performed flawlessly last week in the Alps!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Friend has an Enduro and it seems to go up hill very well when I've tried it. Always seem to be good deals around on them, so lots of bang for your buck. He has however had big issues with the fork, lossing pressure etc. That said it was replaced under warrenty no problem and has been great since.

Tride a 575 on a Demo day. Really liked it, can be built up lots of ways and seem to last well.

Had a couple of goes on a 5, not for me. Seems to bob a lot on the climbs, good on the downs, but so are all the others.

Not rode an E5, but rode an E120. Not convinced, pedalled wellish, but I found it a bit like the 5, bobby. Nothing like as good as the others on the downs.

Have you also considered the likes of the Ellsworth Epiphaney. I would sayway better that all the others on the ups and still as good on the downs. (and I dont even own one anymore).

yoshimi

Some good comments there, cheers. I like the fact that you can get good deals on the spesh, plus a good warranty. I think the 575 is one of the nicest bikes made and the more good things I hear the better! Not really thought about ellesworth as always thought they were a bit pricy when you look at the 575 as £1200 for the carbon rear

Shandy
    Free Member

I had a day out on a 575 and I was very impressed. The review in the mag was quite accurate, somehow it soaks up everything without losing pedalling efficiency. They are easy to build up light too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another Enduro/E150 fan here. Yes, there were problems intitially, but mine has been pimped and blinged internally and is now superb. Not ideal on teeny tiny bumps, but that's less of an issue for me than big hits and superb steering accuracy.

As mentioned above, wind down the travel on the climbs and they're great.
    For me, it was a close run thing between a 5 and the Enduro. In the end, an ex-demo (barely used!) Enduro won me over.

glynP
    Free Member

I have an Intense Tracer and I think its superb ran it with a 140 float to start but it makes it too steep so now I have a set of 36's on it and its now one of the best bikes I,ve ever ridden, great climber and bottomless travel on the descents

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I bought a 2008 575 frame off here, cracking frame & I was really surprised how well they do climb for a full bouncer! GET ONE!!

mrmojo
    Free Member

Yeti 575 everytime.

mrmojo
    Free Member

£1200 for 575 frame with carbon rear is a good price.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I tossed up between the ibis mojo and 575, I ride with 3 guys who all have 575's they have rode Yeti bikes for years.

scruzer
    Free Member

I have '07 575 model and i echo comments here. Truely a great ride. As its done the miles i can say it did develop play in bearings sooner than i had hoped, but replacements are holding up better. no other probelms.

Bregante

Frames aside, since I got the E150 fork TF Tuned it has been the best performing fork I've ever had. The travel adjust is just superb and turns the Enduro into a great climbing machine. Can't wait to see the reviews of the E160 on the new Enduro

oopnorth
    Free Member

Rode my Enduro at Inners this weekend, handled the xc climb up to minch moor no problem, fantastic on the downs including make or brake descent. Only the pilot lets it down. 😳

Even thinking of ditching the PA hardtail cos its not used much.

badblood
    Free Member

575 all the way here, some say the rear end is too active but I love it, climbs like a goat and comes back down equally as well

wheelz
    Free Member

I have never ridden any of the other bikes on your list, but I have a 2007 Yeti 575 and I like it.

hora
    Free Member

Cough Im amazed someone cough hasnt come along and recommended a Chumba yet!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've ridden a couple of the 2007-2009 Enduros with the E150 fork and quite liked them, they're stiff, lightweight and seem just the ticket for an all day do anything kind of ride (which was the reason why I bought my old 2004 Enduro). However, I did find the rear shock lacked a lot of plushness and it's apparently a custom fit so plugging in a Fox or Rockshox alternative might not be easy.

There is a new Enduro due anytime now, which really does look quite impressive, you just need to figure out whether you need 160mm of travel or not.

yoshimi

Lot of Yeti fans out there:))
    mrmojo – £saw the half carbon rear for £1200 and full carbon rear for £1250 at Life Cycles in Bolton.
    Need to go and look and stroke these bikes in the flesh! Keep your experiences coming tho.

Cheers
    all

hora
    Free Member

Oh BTW- Dango you need to retreat your decking 🙄

catnash
    Free Member

Another enduro SL evangelist here, and that fork once Tuned by Neil at Tuned is superb. Had a 04 575 and while it was a good bike just didn't do it for me and everything I like should have been sorted on the new one. There a few SL e150 enduros about the place If you want a bargain shop around they're going fast.

nickegg
    Free Member

Maintenance might be a factor to bear in mind too.

5 couldn't be more simple, 575 is a little more complex.

I have to say if i didn't have a 5 then i would have a Yeti but then my wife and i would have matching bikes!

uplink
    Free Member

Wheelbase are good guys – good price for a 575 frame too

yoshimi

><))))) that's a brilliant price – credit card is twitching!

charliemort

I'd snap it up if I was you…………..

very happy owner here too

j-claw
    Free Member

I'm very happy with my Enduro SL…

I got mine as a frame only, so I've not tried the E150 fork. The Specialized AFR shock was cack though – Manitou ISX-6 was a great upgrade.
    The bike climbs like a demon, but its very capable going down too 😀

trusz
    Free Member

><(((((º> – Member

Wheelbase are good guys – good price for a 575 frame too

Damn I'm tempted but I wanted the team colours in a large just for something a bit different! Tempting

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've test ridden a 575 at Wheelbase and wasn't that impressed. It was plush but the BB felt too high for me, and it didn't handle that well. I'd definitely try and get a go on one before you buy. I was keen to get one at the time but decided against it after the ride, which says it all really.

I've not ridden the latest Enduros but I loved the older ones. Good fun, although the bearings die quickly. I've test ridden the Orange a few times and never been impressed with that either. Suspension felt basic compared to the 4-bars. That may be different these days with the newer shocks, I don't know.

spooky_b329

Another happy 575 owner here. It climbs fantastic, propedal on for efficient climbing, but turn it off and you can climb some amazingly boulder strewn tracks/gulleys as the rear suspension will just swallow it up allowing you to keep pedalling. My old full suss (Litespeed Niota) would have been bouncing over the rocks and spitting them back down the hill as your tyre scrabbled for traction.

trusz
    Free Member

£1500 for the 5spot on wheelbase too. Shame it's in that crap grey colour or I'd probably have one of those

badblood
    Free Member

Go on…you know you want to….

guido

Another vote for Yeti here.

uplink
    Free Member

credit card is twitching!

did you buy it then?

Amos
    Free Member

Yeti 575 mate! I've stopped looking at other bikes because mine is so good! Float 36 wound down to 140mm on the front and it's ready for anything IMO!

Can't recommend the Enduro enough. A fantastic all day bike that you can throw down hills and ride back up them with equal ease.

yoshimi

Well, just sold my glory frame, couple more bits to sell and we'll see- what size enduros and 575 for a 5'8" person, medium?

uplink
    Free Member

You could probably go small or medium

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 v. Spesh Enduro v. Orange 5 v. Whyte E5 – your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.