Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • YET another HiFi thread. Come on, then…
  • AlexSimon

Naim + Mana – there’s a 100-page thread in just that one photo 🙂

(edit: I just googled Naim and Mana and this thread is on the first page – how do STW do it!)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmm, some nice eclectic gear on this thread, lovely.

Yes I live in Sweden, in a forest.

The Focal’s were quite outstanding speakers but could be bright if partnered badly. Matched to the Unico and the Copland they were brilliant, however a sub 8KG cross bike and tubs were needed…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I live in Sweden, in a forest.

Do you need a cleaner or live-in bike mechanic?

elliptic
    Free Member

I think I will win the ‘best use of budget kit’ award, but you’ll only be able to see it not hear it

Secondhand Denon amp and CD for £100 off ebay, to replace my old QED A230 which died last year.

Goodmans Mezzo SL speakers that I got for free fifteen years ago and still sound great.

Speaker cables are 2.5mm twin-core automotive power flex… I did actually spend the mythical 10% 🙂

I’m sure I could have a slightly better sounding system if I spent 20x as much on it…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Do you need a cleaner or live-in bike mechanic?

Nope, sadly not, although I’ll need a builder/carpenter in a few months when the snow has gone

epicsteve
    Free Member

Naim + Mana – there’s a 100-page thread in just that one photo

I’ve contributed to a few of those myself – on the Naim and the (long defunct) Mana forums! I’m not a Mana believer – I just think they’re decent racks, nothing more.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I just think they’re decent racks, nothing more.

I have heard that mana racks are actually supposed to ring a bit, thereby adding to the sound. that would make them not so decent.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have heard that mana racks are actually supposed to ring a bit, thereby adding to the sound. that would make them not so decent.

Not from what I’ve experienced, and definitely not as much as some racks I’ve used (including a reasonably expensive Stands Unique one that’s in my living room – looks nice but not the most effective).

The wall-mounted Mana table made a big difference to my LP12 – however that was due to footfall issues when it was on a rack so I think any wall-mount would have done the same.

I’ve heard some crazy suggestions from Mana accolytes and been to have a listen to some of their systems (where more money had been spent on the racks than on the kit it was supporting) and the guff about the “Mana Effect” seemed like a load of bollocks to me. One chap thought that a cheapo £100 CD-player would sound better on phase 4 Mana than a £1000 player on the floor. I went to listen to that system, taking a couple of my CD players, and it most certainly didn’t!

I am quite tempted to get rid of the Mana racks (but not the wall-shelf) though as it catches the dust and takes up loads of space. I’ve got a heavy Target rack in my bedroom system and to me that’s as good as the Mana racks and better looking.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘YET another HiFi thread. Come on, then…’ is closed to new replies.