Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • YET another HiFi thread. Come on, then…
  • bokonon
    Free Member

without room treatment, this is all just willy waving <ducks>

Absolutely correct, more improvement can be found by improving the sound of the room than the power cables, that is for sure – moving the big expensive speakers out of the corners that will distort the bass balance of the set up would be a start – heavy curtains like in woppit’s picture would be a start, but ultimately they won’t have a good enough absorption coefficient at a low enough frequency to deal with the problem properly.

You could make some half decent bass trapping for the price of a hi fi buff power cable, and have enough change left over to get a bottle of imported craft ale.

mudshark
    Free Member

My mate’s system, silly money:

Chord BLU transport, QBD76 DAC, CPA4000e pre-amplifier, and 2 x SPM1400e mono amplifiers. Speakers – Wilson Benesch ACT

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Actually, I thought we could have a thread of pictures of people’s systems and keep all the argybargy about whether or not heavy curtains are good enough blah blah blah to one of the other threads…

bokonon
    Free Member

I thought otherwise.

With so many willy wavers waving their willys without even noticing makes it difficult not to comment.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

room correction systems, that work well in the bass although you wouldn’t want to use them for elsewhere, actually prefer the speakers/subs in the corners next to the walls so they have less reflections to deal with.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Untitled by Matthewjb, on Flickr

Hifi bits

CDS2 + power supply
    NAC52
    Supercap
    NAP 135 x 2

SBLs

All on a Hutter rack

All wired using a hydra lead and dedicated mains spur

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bokonon – Member
    I thought otherwise.

With so many willy wavers waving their willys without even noticing makes it difficult not to comment.

Please go away and stop hijacking the thread.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hutter racks, matt. I couldn’t audition these when I upgraded – it was a choice of Quadraspire or Isoblue but I would have lived to have heard the Hutter as well – not that long ago they were the NAIM rack of choice at the company…. (As you probably know).

bokonon
    Free Member

actually prefer the speakers/subs in the corners next to the walls so they have less reflections to deal with.

Surely the reflections come from the walls, so putting it nearer more walls will increase not decrease the amount of them (the number of them is not relevant, it’s the energy each one has).

Preference is also a moot point, if you want an accurate reproduction, and to hear your expensive speakers, tipping up the bottom end significantly and skewing the tonal balance is throwing money away.

bokonon
    Free Member

stop hijacking the thread.

It’s not hijacking, people are posting pictures of their big shiny penis extensions and I’m critiquing them, seems like fair game to me.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

tinribz, how do you like the 2020’s?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Theres a lot of flat earthers on this thread 🙄

Cougar

Where do I get me one of those willy waving ducks? I reckon a mid-range quacker would compliment my woofers and tweeters nicely.

yunki
    Free Member

JCL
    Free Member

Theres a lot of flat earthers on this thread

I can almost hear their feet tapping from here!

tinribz
    Free Member

tinribz, how do you like the 2020’s

Very crisp, but don’t get a chance to turn up the volume very often. They certainly made some tannoys sound tinny in the shop. Still find I have to up the bass a touch sometimes though, should get a subwoofer really.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Surely the reflections come from the walls, so putting it nearer more walls will increase not decrease the amount of them (the number of them is not relevant, it’s the energy each one has).

If you put the speakers away from the way then their relationship to the wall in terms of where the nodes and anti-nodes are varies with each frequency.

Putting them next to the wall/corner minimises this, and there are less phase issues to deal with because of the reflections.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Agree with the comments regarding the room, this was partly what started my down grading. The bugging knowledge that having one doubled heighted wall made almost of glass and a relatively minimal interior was far from optimal was too much.

Untimely happier with a modest setup and a lounge not arranged around a pair of speakers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I can almost hear their feet tapping from here!

Cheesy grin here. 😀

I still like my old naim 92/90 but I’m done with taking up so much room, when I move it’s going to be a unitiq thingy and my diminutive Leema Xeros (or maybe the leema shoebox things) that replaced PMC tb2’s I no dont want a front room dominated by a hi-rise green glow and a decent enough sound to get my foot tapping 🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

Holy cow Swedishchef! Are you made of money? Very tasteful!

JCL
    Free Member

IMO the future is pro active coffins or monitors/sub with a combined wireless, balanced outs, DAC/Pre/NAS thing with an inbuilt menu screen.

Very un-wa*ky Hi-Fi but it should sound better than all of the million boxes, PSU’s, and wa*ky wires that the foot tappers adore.

Blackhound

Quite a bit of Naim on this thread.

bokonon
    Free Member

If you put the speakers away from the way then their relationship to the wall in terms of where the nodes and anti-nodes are varies with each frequency.

This happens anyway – the nodes and anti-nodes can only form at intersections and given that v=f? this has to occur at different points for different frequencies.

Putting them next to the wall/corner minimises this, and there are less phase issues to deal with because of the reflections.

Surely this has more to do with poor overall room shape (parallel walls, ratios which have inter relationships etc. ) and is only really a vague compromise against exaggerated bass response – because the modal issues will still exist, it’s just that the axial modes will be marginally weaker (although not enough to make a significant difference if the room is an acoustically poor shape), the tangential and oblique will however be unaffected…

ski
    Free Member

Anyone admit to growing up with the hi-fi cabinet Amstrad TS series which mother used to polish the turd every week and as kids you were never aloud within ten feet of the cabinet, if you ever touched the graphic equaliser you were strung up and forced fed one more night by Phil Collins!

😉

zbonty

Yunki for the win!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not mine but these are the best bit of kit in my “system”

…which otherwise runs logitech touchscreen player, soundstream DAC and *whispers* some £100 Richer Sounds JBL things. I have some nice UAdax Aerogel 8″ drivers and 35mm tweeters to build into some floorstanders with a nice low crossover when I get the time.

I had a dnm start preamp before going digital and LOVE their kit. Sonus Faber is a love also.

Anyone else here work in hifi or used to? I spotted a speaker manufacturer on the “what do you do” thread but couldn’t work out his brand from his name.

the-muffin-man

Amateurs! – mine…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d heard those sound better with the RHS speaker upside down 😛

JCL
    Free Member

Looks co-axial so it should make any difference 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

No loudness button no shizzle

RustySpanner

MrSmith – Member

Innit?

Repeat after me:
    ‘The source is the most important thing.
    Imaging is overrated.
    Just listen to the tune’. 😀

Loving the amount of older gear though.

Cougar

I remember that Amstrad. The eight band graphic equaliser was a four band graphic equaliser; the sliders moved in pairs.

john_l
    Free Member

I feel inadequate looking at this thread.

AR EB101 with AR arm/Goldring cartridge
    KEF 600 series floor standers
    Rotel amp with phono stage (obviously)
    Marantz CD52SE bought with my first grant cheque ;o)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rotel 965BX limited Edition Discrete CD player
    Audiolab 8000S as per amp
    Audiolab 8000P power amp
    AVI biggatron (red spot) ‘speakers

Set up in my office.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I remember that Amstrad. The eight band graphic equaliser was a four band graphic equaliser; the sliders moved in pairs.

Amstrad use to paint on their tweeters as well – they weren’t really there.

How can such a rip-off merchant have ended up with a knighthood?

sputnik
    Free Member

Good enough for me

MrNutt
    Free Member

also used for airing laundry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Speakers in office, daughter playing whilst listening to Massive Attack.

Im not tidy!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Anyone admit to growing up with the hi-fi cabinet Amstrad TS series

By best friend at school had an Amstrad dual tape system. I was very jealous.

The dual tape deck was very useful in producing 20th generation ZX Spectrum computer game copies.

matthewjb
    Free Member

When I first bought a serious hi-fi I listened to a number of systems. The Naim one sounded best.

Once you start down that path it’s difficult to diverge. Mixing and matching isn’t easy with Naim.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘YET another HiFi thread. Come on, then…’ is closed to new replies.