Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Yet 575 vs Orange 5
  • Smuzzy
    Free Member

Currently got an On-One 456 Ti and am thinking of going full suss. Narrowed it down to either a 575 or an orange 5. Anyone got experience of both or general recommendations.

the 456 fram may be up for sale if I can make my mind up!!!!!

Also sizing, I'm just shy of 6ft, 12 1/2 Stone and 32" leg

Cheers

Simon

steve_b77
    Free Member

Size wise, I'd say medium in both (18" in the orange) I'm 5'11" with a 32.5" leg and weigh 12.5st, test ridden both bikes on a few occasions and my mate has a 575, while another one has a Five.

Five seems more chuckable almost a bit daft in some respects, 575 seems more suited to all dayers and wheels on the ground/closer to the ground kinda action.

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

Heckler

ddmonkey

Sorry to hijack – I'm selling a 2006 orange 5 frame 18" in good nick with an RP23 shock, just in case you are interested… it is a lot of fun, unfortunately I need to reduce my bikes.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Can you mail me pics and a price? E-Mail in profile

chakaping
    Free Member

Owned a 575, ridden friend's Five.

Would take the Five any day, tbh. Much more involving ride.

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Got an Medium 18 inch Orange 5 AM 08 model for sale
    in Disco Black, 5 months warranty left on Blank service card
    Excellent condition
    Fork and Rear RP23 serviced in Feb 09 by MOJO
    and had the Talas updated to the 09 model.

Can e-mail pics onto you
    grantway01@hotmail.com

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Grantway, You have mail

fwb2006
    Free Member

So why are all the 5 owners wanting to sell?? (Is what I would ask) 😐

ddmonkey

Two is hardly all. Lots of people sell lots of perfectly good bikes from time to time for all sorts of reasons. I'm looking to turn two bikes into one, and fancy trying non-single pivot for a change. I'll probably wonder why I bothered afterwards…

grantway
    Free Member

Self employed mate just signed contract
    and being self employed I can claim £0.20p per mile

Still sticking to the Oramge brand mate
    rock solid bikes

ddmonkey

Actually the more I think about the more I think that what I need is an Orange 5 AM. Grant YHM!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

If you can get to the cycle show go to the Yeti stand and look at the new ASR 5. VERY nice indeed. It covers all bases for UK riding. IMO

oomidamon

Smuzzy – are you selling your 456 frame?

Smuzzy
    Free Member

oomidamon, That is the plan if I can make my mind up on the above, you interested?

wl
    Free Member

Lots of the lads I ride with have Orange 5s and they're all more than happy. The bikes get well and truly hammered on all sorts of terrain in the Lakes, Calderdale and Europe, all year round. I ride a Patriot but I'd happily have a 5 too – they seem like the perfect all-rounder.

oomidamon

Might be – toying with the idea of a long travel Ti hardtail, and that would fit the bill. I'm 6'2" tho – would it fit?

BTW, I had a mk1 575 and thought it was a really good bike. With a TALAS fork and RP23 shock it really did feel like a lively trail bike with the forks at 120 and the shock on max propedal but also a hardcore DH'er on 140 with the shock open. Frame on the mk1 is a bit flexy, mk2 is much stiffer but doesn't have good mud clearence. I was looking at a mk2 575 but bought an Ibis Mojo instead. Now that's a great bike!!!

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Mine is an 18"

Take a look here
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=940

I'm 6ft dead and its fine for me, think it would still be fine if I was a couple of inches taller. I guess as the above link says, you could go either way. I reckon it depends on what you intend to use it for, If you are building it up light as a XC bike, I'd say 20" if you want to do more gnarly technical stuff on it then I'd say go smaller

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Persoanlly I'd go with a 575.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

its not as though one is good & the other is rubbish, they are both GREAT BIKES!!

Some people would kill for either of them. I went for the 575 BTW!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I'm 6 foot and a smidge, 13 stone and find the 18" Five a perfect fit. Owned mine for nearly 2 and a hlf years and still love it to bits. Looks good, rides better, easy maintenance, set up just right for the UK.

As Capt Pugwash states, you may want to consider the new Yeti ASR 5 too. Its a thing a beauty in White and makes me do sex wees in my pants. [must hold onto my savings and not try to save the economy by buying a new bike].

Worth demoing both or all three inc. the 575, either back to back in one location or over a couple of weekends on the local ride.

Teedertodder

Had both, 575 for a month as it felt like a gate to ride on technical stuff (maybe the medium was too big for me?)
    Was incredibly quick and instant to deliver pedal input (carbon rear triangle) to the rear wheel, and felt quicker to ride than a hardtail in some instances.
    Sold it as just felt wrong for the rocky technical riding I was doing.

Bought an Orange 5 despite being swayed towards a meta5 and have been more than pleased with it. Not as instant to pedal input as the 575 but feels much more planted and confidence inspiring. Compared to all the four bar bikes I've had in the past (2 Enduros and a Turner Burner) its much more condusive to standing out of the saddle style pedalling and giving it some welly. Plus its made near where I'm from. Looks a bit agricultural compared to the 575 but its tough as old boots and feels a bit more balanced with some beefy forks up front (I use Pikes).

Horses for courses I suppose, and depends where you're riding. The 5 suits my ride style and geographical location.

All the best

james
    Free Member

"Narrowed it down to either a 575 or an orange 5"
    Out of interest, how did you manage that? They're a bit different from one another (apart from taking the same fork travel, having very similar rear travel, both being single pivot). The yeti being getting on almost twice the price too frame only

Smuzzy
    Free Member

You can pick up a 575 frame for quite a bit less than an Orange 5 at the moment!

GaryLake
    Free Member

its much more condusive to standing out of the saddle style pedalling and giving it some welly.

Pedal feedback, firms up the rear end under strong pedal load. Some hate it, some love it. I personally like it, seems to do a better job than propedal. That said, you need a strong but high cadence otherwise it just feels wrong, if you pedal like you're mashing spuds it's just going to kill you.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Just bagged myself a 575 Medium in team turquoise. £999 seems a bit of a bargain.

That means my 456Ti will be going up for sale, just thought I'd give first dibbs to the people who have shown interest here.

rockitman

Did you get the carbon one?

I have a XL 575, love it. Was on it yesterday and realised how light it was (under 30lbs) for the size.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Yep, its the full Carbon 09 model, I understand the colours will not change for 2010 so I feel like I've picked up a bit of a bargain. It will be buit with Rockshox Revs dual air 140mm's, and full XT/XTR with Hope hoops with DT 5.1 rims. Hoping for under 30lbs

rockitman

That should do it. Mate is same size as you and has a medium. He runs a 50mm stem on it and loves it. I couldn't go that short 90mm.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Very interested in the 456 – how about some photos please (and a price?)
    Address in profile
    Cheers

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Pop Larkin,

You Have Mail

Simon

johnny

arriving late to this one, but have ridden both and plumped for the 575.

I've been riding this for about 2 years with Pikes on, but after a summer trip to Verbier and the fact that most of my local riding is done on the hardtail, I have gone against the grain and stuck some Lyrik 2-steps on it.

Initial rides have been ACE. It is only slightly heavier, but the longer travel has made it into a big fast descending bike. it's not really jumpy ans the back end seems to soak everyting up (will be playing with rebound) but drop-offs and rockiness are handled with ease, desite any of my numptiness.

It seems that with the travel down to 115mm, the back sits up, firming it up for climbing, and once the travel is booted out to 160mm, it has a great feeling of sitting 'in' the bike for descents. The spec you've gone for sounds great, a real epic riding/ marathon bike, but it can go much beefier, with only a tad more weight gain.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Looky whats just landed :-))))

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Good choice!! 8)

fwb2006
    Free Member

Get that copter tape on now.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Yet 575 vs Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.