Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yep, snow driving can be scary
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Loaded the bike in the back of car, the wife was gunna drop me off so i could ride home in the snow, again, its good fun.

Got 100m down the road to top of the hill we live on. Selected first gear nice and slow all going well. then stared to slide. Braking and steering didnt make a blind bit of difference. So just let it slide, Im not to scared a this point. Slide across the road heading for a wall Im getting a little tense. Hit the kerb spun sidwards now heading for a parked car, stress levels rapidly rising.
    All this accompanied by the wife making a very annouying noise that I take meant she wasnt impressed.
    Stopped just before hitting the other car. It was that close couldnt even open the door to get out. Took a little bit of time to get the car back on thr road it just kept on spinning. At this point decided to abandon any chance of getting to work. Walked home and Im now wondering if its worth getting the bike and going for a spin?

Anyone else had a close call?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Nope – not attempting it – colleagues near my office have said it's thick ice everywhere and I don't want to drive 35 miles to crash on that…even the remote log on system is affected – no work at all 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Eejit on so many levels.

PePPeR

We have a main road across 2 fields from our house with excellent views, the amount of people crashing along it last night was scary!

Not worried about driving in it myself, but worried about the mayhem that other drivers can cause!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Scary was the plank in his ka doing 45 down the M1 at 0430 this morning whilst **** around with his phone. There was artics all over the shop trying to get round him. He had not cleared his head lights or rear lights and was in his own little world…!

mcboo
    Free Member

Would you have classified your journey last night as essential?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Wonder how many of these barely competent drivers are making 'essential' journies !

If people were a bit less 'gung-ho' and prepared to accept that if they miss a day or two off work no-one's actually going to notice (plus of course management thinking the same) then it would be easier for those whose journies are important……

Pigface
    Free Member

Got out of our road this morning, went 800 yds to the roundabout and came home, just not worth it. Even if you dont have an off someone will and then you are stuck. Working (ahem) from home today then.

mudshark
    Free Member

hilldodger – I hope my project manager has the same attitude as I ain't going out today; can log in remotely so I can get on with things.

mrmo
    Free Member

drive this morning was OK Cheltenham to Thornbury to Cheltenham, interview in Newport was cancelled. Bit slushy on the M5. Good thing it was cancelled just realised when i got home i didn't have enough for the Severn Bridge Toll.

toby1

Erm, so no one is going to chip in with 'First Gear? surely you know to never use first in the snow? second and very gentle clutch/accelerator' …

Anyway, sounds like it'll be safer for all if you stick to bikes!

Where I live, there are no hills so it's not a problem 🙁 rubbish for riding though – and at time of press the snow hasn't got here either but the cloud is getting to that flat solid colour that usually brings snow.

twohats
    Free Member

Maybe winter tyres aren't such a bad idea in the UK for the "3 days of snow a year"…

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Picked up a set of steels with winter tyres off ebay and fitted them yesterday – my transporter has gone from 2-ton Bambi to uber-grip in an instant – brilliant.

Can't recommend them enough – great in general cold / wet weather too.

iDave
    Free Member

Eejit on so many levels.

care to elaborate Goan?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Eejit on so many levels.

care to elaborate Goan?

If you can't tell that the OP is an accident waiting to happen (..er, has happened!) then perhaps you shouldn't try driving in this weather either. Glad I don't live at the end of his road! (or yours)

gazman
    Free Member

the worst thing for me is d*%kheads walikng on the fooking road if its not bad enough driving straight then you have to swerve round them 9 times out of 10 theres another car coming towards you so you have to stop then struggle to get going again surely its less dangerous to walk on the footpath where if a car does slide it may hit the kerb before it hits someone on the road pricks aaaarrrrrggggghhh!!!!!

votchy
    Free Member

We share a drive with 3 other houses, ours is the one at the bottom, drove straight up the drive this morning without any problems, just had a text from my wife, guy next door has just spent 40mins trying to get off drive and has now given up, leaving his car across the drive and within an inch of my wifes car, hope he moves it before I get home the stupid c0ck, really find it amazing that people do not know how to drive in these conditions

hora
    Free Member

st thing for me is d*%kheads walikng on the fooking road if its not bad enough driving straight then you have to swerve round them 9 times out of 10 theres another car coming towards you so you have to stop then struggle to get going again surely its less dangerous to walk on the footpath where if a car does slide it may hit the kerb before it hits someone on the road pricks aaaarrrrrggggghhh!!!!!

Then surely you shouldnt be driving if you cant handle that?

gazman
    Free Member

hora! read the other post mate my little corsavan seems to be coping very well (its usually down to the driver). people who walk in the road normally walk in the middle of it facing the same way as the drivers so they cant see them highway code say to walk towards traffic not with it.

willard

It's times like this that I am glad I live in Cambridgeshite. We've just had our "snowfall" (note the inverted commas) and I drove in it.

No drama, no hassle, no fuss, after all, it's only a bit of snow. But that did not stop half the office getting worried and making a break for home, nor the local public transport victims, sorry, customers, bricking it thinking that they will be stranded.

I'm heading off to Newark on Trent and then Surrey tomorrow. Should be a laugh.

grahamt1980

Live in cambs too. Unfortunately the very small amount of snow we had has melted and refrozen into sheet ice. Will make life interesting on the way home then

GrahamS

This guy didn't make it very far:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yep, snow driving can be scary’ is closed to new replies.