Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • XTR trail rear mech – anyone got one?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Looks like a good solution for the ML8 due to the front mech mount preventing me using a chain device.

Anyone got one?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve touched one….it was very cool.Not much help am I?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

More help than anyone else so far!

No one got one then I take it!?

gothandy

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-tried-the-shimano-xtr-shadow-plus

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Still haven’t got one, but it’ll be on my Christmas list.

emanuel
    Free Member

meanwhile..over at nsmb.com…
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=143857

cruzer
    Free Member

ive got one, and i have to admit its fantastic. really cuts the chain slap completely. admittedly im running my 2 x 10, but i cant see a problem as long as you have a top guide you should get away with 1 x 10(9).

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’ve been using one for about 6 weeks now. They really are a game changer. Chain slap is almost totally gone and losing the chain is a thing of the past. I’ve back pedalled down some pretty rooty and rocky descents actually trying to lose the chain and not managed to. My normal days riding involves descents of 600m to 2000m in one go and in 6 weeks the chain has only shifted from where it should be once. The rest of the time it doesn’t even wander to another ring it just stays 100% fixed right where it should be.

The one disadvantage I’ve found so far is that when you ride in really wet conditions (i.e. a 6 hours of riding in snow and rivers of melt water.) the shifting to a bigger cog on the rear gets a bit stiff. Once everything dries out it seems to get ok again. The only time I have turned the clutch mechanism off was to remove the rear wheel.

I’ll be changing my second bike over to a 2×10 with a shadow plus as soon as I’ve got the cash aside, it really is a game changer.

jam-bo

sounds like its worth waiting for it to trickle down to XT/SLX

doof_doof
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Got it running on a 3×10 set up, it’s very, very good. Only time I’ve dropped a chain down hill was when I turned it off to see what happened.

nasher
    Free Member

Seen it on a couple of guests bikes and they were impressed , continous weeks of alpine descents and the chain stayed on….

will be getting one once they trickle down to XT/SLX level..

£200 quid retail is a bit mental.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘XTR trail rear mech – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.