Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone tried the Shimano XTR Shadow plus?
  • gothandy

I like the look of this for helping keep the chain on my 3×10 setup. Well the marketing spiel has me hooked. Has anyone tried one does it make any difference?

timmys

Not sure they are available yet are they?

I really, really want one but I’m on 9 spd at the mo so would also mean new cassette, chain and shifter 🙁

jameso

They’re brilliant – honestly, it really does make a big difference. Equivalent to a short cage mech and chain device i’d say, maybe more so – it almost eliminates chain bounce.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    forgotmename
    Free Member

timmys, why can’t you use it with 9 speed?

timmys

timmys, why can’t you use it with 9 speed?

Rear mechs are specifically 9 or 10 speed aren’t they and I’m assuming they will only be selling a 10-speed version? Would love to be proved wrong though!

wool

Its well good nice and quiet back there buy it it now.

gothandy

Sounds good I’ll add it to the same list as the Reverb seat post 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

I reckon if you adjust the stops there should be no reason it wont work with 9 speed, if it is not indexed.

Yetiman
    Free Member

If you can get away with running a medium cage you could always try a Saint mech as the spring in that is much stiffer and should do a similar job to the XTR plus, at a much cheaper price.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

No, 9 speed mechs don’t work with 10 speed and they are effectively indexed.

See my rubbish picture here:

=http://http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-x9-wtf-is-going-on-and-910-speed-compatability]

Neil-S
    Free Member

I’ve got to disagree there forgotmename…

I tried a 10sp XT rear mech on a 9sp cassette and shifter after assurances from my LBS that it would work fine. It didn’t.

timmys

I reckon if you adjust the stops there should be no reason it wont work with 9 speed, if it is not indexed.

Apparently the leverage ratio is different between Shimano 9 & 10 speed and it therefore won’t work, I think that’s the consensus from this thread anyway!;
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/10-speed-derailleur-9-speed-cassette-shifter

jameso

Leverage rates are definately different between Shimano 9 and 10. 100% incompatible.

njee20
    Free Member

Leverage rates are definately different between Shimano 9 and 10. 100% incompatible.

If only it were that simple 🙂

9 and 10 speed MTB are incompatible, but 10 speed road is the same as 9 speed MTB, so are cross-compatible, whilst 10 speed road and MTB are incompatible.

You follow?!

But yes, this mech will not work on 9 speed.

aracer
    Free Member

9 and 10 speed MTB are incompatible, but 10 speed road is the same as 9 speed MTB, so are cross-compatible, whilst 10 speed road and MTB are incompatible

Not quite. Older 10sp road is compatible with 9sp MTB, newer 10sp road is compatible with 10sp MTB, hence some 10sp road is incompatible with other 10sp road. IIRC it’s just the latest DA and Ultegra (7900 & 6700?) which have changed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the Shimano XTR Shadow plus?’ is closed to new replies.