Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Xtr trail or race spd pedals ???
  • chrisdiesel
    Free Member

It’s new pedal time and really like spds , but like the look and increased foot space of the new shimano trail spds !
    Has anyone used or rate them ? Can you really feel any difference ? I like the idea they are some kinds of half way between flats and spds with the advantages of both ? . thanks for any opinions people !

robarnold
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the XTR trail versions having come from a pair of the older, non caged version. I can’t tell any difference once my foot is engaged, but where I do notice a difference is extra protection for the mechanism from trail obstacles. I’ve whacked them a few times and the marks on the leading edge of the cage would have definitely have done some damage had the cage not been there.
    A big plus is also when you’ve become disengaged from the mechanism and are fishing round with the sole of your shoe. I’ve got some mighty fine scars on my shin from doing this and my foot slipping off in the past but it doesn’t happen with the new ones.
    Well worth it in my opinion, look sexy too 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

From pd-970 to the new trail pedal. Much prefer them. Once in, It’s no diffrent but having a bit more under your foot if you don’t get clipped in time is well worth it.

iain1775
    Free Member

Exactly what they say ^^
    Swapped from normal spd’s on hard tail and dx spd’s on full suss

richen987
    Free Member

Agreed, much more useful to have the cage especially if it is wet as there is a bit more surface to put your foot on. Also more comfortable with trAiners if your just out for 5 mins or popping out when you dont want to wear spd shoes

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I find the cage makes it a little easier to clip in and definitely offers a bit of protection.

Also bear in mind what shoes you will be wearing; with my SIDI’s I cannot tell there is a cage and they feel like the race pedals, with my Shimano AM45’s I can feel the cage and gives slight support.

bol

One of my XTR Race pedals detached itself from its axel on my way to work this morning, so I’m not currently inclined to recommend them. It’s the first time I’ve ever had w problem with a Shimano pedal though.

I’ve got XT trails on my full suss, and I’d certainly say they’re more confidence inspiring if weight isn’t the primary concern, but they do look a bit chunky (and maybe less necessary) on a racey hardtail.

snakebite
    Free Member

On my 3rd or 4th set of XTR TRAILS and not impressed at all. The bearings develop play within 3 months and my lest set the axle sheared off. All replaced under warranty (now trying XT) but not a patch on previous XTR SPD’s. My old 959 979 pedals ran for years and years without so much as a second glance.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have some M530s some M785s some 985s and some 980s on a variety of bikes and with the same shoes they all feel the same (from a pedalling point of view). The only time you will feel any difference is if you are wearing not-so-stiff shoes then there is the faintest hint of the platform on the trail pedals.

As said above the biggest advantage is that they are easy to flick round and clip in on tricky terrain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Xtr trail or race spd pedals ???’ is closed to new replies.