Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XTR rotors hitting AVID pads
  • joebickley
    Free Member

Just got new wheels with XTR centre lock rotors. The centre arms on the rotor are wider than the disk and they hit the tabs on my Avid brakes pads.

Am i safe in bending the tabs back to allow clearance or should i just use different rotors?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Saw them off? The tabs that is? They are only their for installation and removal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bending sounds fine – may have had to do this on my BB7/xtr set up IIRC.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Tabs are there to make getting the pads in and out easier and, to a degree, guiding the rotor into the caliper (IIRC the tabs weren't there orig BB7 pads), so a bit of bending should be fine if you're talking a few mm. Would a few wafts with a file be enough?

EDIT: Too slow!!

toys19
    Free Member

No No your bike will explode into thousands of tiny shards, you and everyone you love will be horribly disfigured, the world and its dog will beat a path to your door and hang you out dry, and you will have minor difficulty removing your pads…

joebickley
    Free Member

Toys19 – It was more a case of if i could bend them back enough so thought id see if anyone else had managed to get them working ok before i trashed a set of pads. But thanks very much for the sarcasm it really does help.

Genuine thanks to everyone else too.

druidh
    Free Member

I had to chop a wee bit off mine when I mixed XTR rotors and BB7 calipers. The problem with bending them is that you have to also allow for the tag getting closer to the rotor as the braking material wears.

foxyrider
    Free Member

As I said above just hacksaw them off and file the pad edge flat like they are for most pads no?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XTR rotors hitting AVID pads’ is closed to new replies.