Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XTR M970 Chainsets – Alternative chain rings to Shimano?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody use alternative (that is non-Shimano) chainrings on an XTR M970 chainset?

I'd like to use Middleburn hard coat rings if possible

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Ken

njee20
    Free Member

I use TA Chinook on mine in a 2×9. You have to space the granny ring I think if you're using all 3, but it'll work.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Stand by to get flamed! You'll get lots of comments about buying XTR but can't afford the parts. I've not put spare rings on my XTR yet but I don't think I'll drop the sort of money that Shimano want for a set of three. I've had some bad experiences with Middleburn rings on a different crankset so personally I'd be looking elsewhere. I see Poshbikes do TA rings and they have a set specifically for the 970 XTR. Not tried these but TA have been good rings in the past. They're what I'd try if/when I find myself in your shoes unless someone who has tried them says different.

HTH.

EDIT: – SISMIC TA rings are what you're looking for.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Deore rings on mine.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Stand by to get flamed! You'll get lots of comments about buying XTR but can't afford the parts

Bring on the flaming….I want to use a 36/22 rings and a bash guard so standard shimano rings ain't gonna cut it

LeeW

Will Race Face ones fit? I use them on my XT chainset and they're pretty good.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah the TA Sismic are the ones 'profiled' to fit the XTR spider, but they're not that much cheaper!

Middleburn will work.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've no intention of doing any flaming. I want a cheaper alternative as well but I've seen it happen a couple of times before when this question has cropped up.

I'm sure I've seen the set of three sismic rings for about £110~120. I thought ti was that for the XTR middle alone.

guitarhero
    Free Member

you could just use the proper xtr inner which isn't TOO expensive at £25, and any 36T middle, Race face etc. Save the need for additional spacers.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

There is little weight difference between deore and xtr granny and middle. You only need a few washers to space the granny out to make it work.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Here's how I did it! As someone said at the time "bought a porsche and can't afford the tyres!"

Cheap tyres for my porsche!

gingerflash

I've used a hardcoat middleburn. runs fine, no spacers or anything. same colour too. 🙂

DaveGr
    Free Member

Used Middleburn slickshift / hardcoat as replacement on an 08 XT and they didn't shift as well or last as long as the Shimano rings. Shimano 09 XT I use on another bike are great and still going strong. Won't waste my money on Middleburn again.

glenncampbell

Have used Blackspire Pro XTR granny and middle ring to replace the Shimano ones and they were fine – just the outer ring that I'm not sure about!

xanboy
    Free Member

SLX do a double and bash crank with those rings why not buy them. They are in stock at chain reaction
    36t is £29.99 part no 1Kg 9805
    22t is £9.99 part no 1KF 2200

dasnut
    Free Member

deore steel all the way, last forever

middleburn in my experience can cause chainsuck because the middle ring is so thick.

njee20
    Free Member

You can fit whatever you want to the outer ring, it just won't match the profile of the spider, like this:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XTR M970 Chainsets – Alternative chain rings to Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.