Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XT Dynasys compatibility with XTR double?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Anyone know if it’s possible to put an XTR 10spd double chainset with an otherwise XT Dynasys setup?

Or alternatively, will the SRAM doubles work with the XT?

Previously, I didn’t pay too much heed to these differences (I have a 7spd 105 rear mech running just fine on a 9spd road bike!), but from what I’ve read Dynasys is an altogether more sensitive beast.

sillyoldman

That’ll be fine, though I’d get a double specific XTR front mech.

Leon
    Free Member

thanks.

Do you mean either XTR or a SRAM double, or just the XTR?

Probably should have checked if the shifters will be ok too? Don’t see why not. Most of the road STI’s used to be double or triple.

domdownunder
    Free Member

I have been wondering this too.

Also –
    What about if you go with an XT (3×10) chainset but just run 2 rings? Will that work with XTR Race shifters & an XT f mech, or do you need an XTR f mech?

Also with all the new rear mechs, does XT operate the same “direction” as XTR now i.e. if you go with an XT r mech on XTR Race shifters, does it work?

Dom

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I have a Cube Stereo Race with 3 x 10, XT shifters, front Mech and XTR rear Mech, took big ring off for a bash and still works fine indeed.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t know about this fo sho, but when setting up my XTR double chainset the shifting wasn’t very good when the shifter was on the ‘3x’ setting, ie how you’d normally run a double if converting.

I don’t know if there’s a different cable pull ratio or something daft for the double (newer road front mechs are different, so it wouldn’t surprise me).

domdownunder
    Free Member

OK, so the way I read this is you can run:
    XTR shifters in 3x mode
    XT f mech
    XT chainset with one ring removed
    XTR r mech

Then when I find some more cash I can go the XTR chainset and f mech and go to the 2x mode on the shifters

Thanks guys
    Dom

njee20
    Free Member

My experience suggests you may need the XTR double front mech if you change, although I suspect using a normal front mech you could just still use the 3x position.

I’d just stick with the converted chainset though, wouldn’t bother with the xtr double, spend that money elsewhere on the bike.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Er hello!!!

Just restrict the ‘hi’ screw on the front mech, no need to buy double mech or shifters then, works a treat

domdownunder
    Free Member

I just realised that using XT Dynasys as a cheap 2×10 chainset doesn’t work so well as the rings are a little close (42-32)…

So, can you run an XX chainset on XTR 2×10 or XT Dynasys shifters and front mech?

Good to hear of any experiences out there

Thanks
    Dom

njee20
    Free Member

You can change the rings to whatever you want, TA Chinooks are excellent. Cheaper than buying a ‘proper’ double, and you can have ratios you want. IMO the XTR ones are too close together.

tang
    Free Member

def choose your own rings up front. tune it to your riding. as nice as the xtr looks do as njee says!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XT Dynasys compatibility with XTR double?’ is closed to new replies.