Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XC Racing, tyres & winter
  • letmetalktomark

I hate tyre threads.

I like grip.

I like the grip afforded to me from my fat tyre bikes.

Pre MM this year I talked myself into using a Racing Ralph (F) and a Thunderburt (R) -Both 2.1.

For me this combo really didn’t work on the slightly damp course and I lost the usual confidence I have for riding a course like that.

I’d like to give our local winter series a bash.

So before I use my Hans Dampf/Ardent combo that seems to work is there a racier pairing I should be looking at for winter/wed use?

I know I should just ride my Puffin with a Bud/Lou setup but I also know I should really try …….

ferrals
    Free Member

Depends where you are based? Depending on terrain and torrential rain I either use double rocket ron or double beaver depending on how much i value mud clearance over rolling. Middle pack sport racer at best though. I actually used beavers more this summer than over winter 😕

jam-bo

i’m about to go for forekaster front, and probably an ardent race for the rear. i thought about an Ikon rear but i think that maybe a step too far.

I’m not going to trouble the sharp end of the race so I reckon this combo will be a good balance of speed + grip.

Yak

Barzo/saguaro combo, or mud x both ends if the world turns to mudmageddon.

jobro
    Free Member

Mud X is a great mud tyre, possibly the best out there when it turns really bad but I found after using them for two years I didn’t want to put up with the low tyre volume (constant crunching rims) and sluggish feel.
    Now on Specialized Storms which I thought was the mud race tyre of choice. So far have been faultless.

mattyfez

Ron/ron or nic/f ron/r?

Kryton57

Rockets Rons for me, if it gets bad I’m trying a Storm Control on the front this year. I tried a Maxxis Beaver upfront last year but it was a tubeless nightmare so I got rid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XC Racing, tyres & winter’ is closed to new replies.