• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cap De Formentor- anyone been?
  • hora
    Free Member

Anyone? I plan to return on a road bike but second day in a left-hand unfamiliar hire car and boy I accutely felt the presence of those wooden barriers on the outside of the steep bends! 5,000ft climb and fall isn’t it?!

imnotverygood

Go very early or late otherwise you end up sharing the road with innumerable tourist buses.

hora
    Free Member

Thankfully they stopped at Formentor beach. It was uber busy with hire cars beyond that though.

martinhutch

Only driven it. Wouldn’t want to be riding on that road with the tourist traffic though. Utterly spectacular, mind.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Drove it recently. Very very carefully.

Don’t fancy riding it with the hire cars and buses.

hora
    Free Member

Yes the buses have to swing wide for bends

handyman153
    Free Member

One of my favourite rides out in Majorca/Mallorca!

The busiest parts are the first and longest climb up and out of Port de Pollenca, and the decent down the other side. This seems to be the most touristy part, with a viewpoint at the first summit, and then the beach parking at the end of the decent.

After that its really lovely and peaceful, with the only slightly dangerous bit being the narrow dark tunnel.

Good cafe at the end, who do a great coffee. Then the ride back is a joy.

I find the climb up on the return is slightly harder than the ride out, but that’s just personal preference.
    Cars, motorbikes and buses seem to give loads of room, so I’ve never had a problem!

Enjoy!
    Josh

handyman153
    Free Member

I think I got a little lost on the way back.. But see the below –

redmex
    Free Member

I wouldn’t cycle it just now maybe wait a month as it will be hot, I’m packing my rucksack just now for cala st vicente on Saturday. Scooters are our mode of transport over there .Try port valldemosa if you fancy a steep climb/downhill and there are no coaches and very few cars as it’s tight hairpins. Formentor is easy cycling back seeing all those grumpy faced drivers that canny move as you zip in and out

julians
    Free Member

we’re off to mallorca tomorrow morning, to the south west of the island though.

Its too hot for biking at this time of year, unless just after sunrise or just before sunset. Best to be in the sea/pool.

The road climb out of soller towards cuber reservoir is a good one if you like that sort of thing, there also an off road route up to the same point, I think it’s about a 3000 foot climb from the town.

Shred
    Free Member

I’m just back from 2 weeks in Mallorca. Formentor is a great ride, but I head out at 6:30, so before sunrise.

I also did Sa Calobra a couple of times, Col de Batalla, Puig Major, Col de Soller and Orient.

Brilliant place to ride, just head out early. I love Sa Calobra, both up and down.

morphio
    Free Member

Lovely bike ride, do it early before the roads get busy and the wind picks up.

BigJohn

I left my sunglasses on a post, while waiting for Mrs BigJohn to catch up, half way down the hill on the way back.

I didn’t go back for them.

hora
    Free Member

The drive to Soller is great. Second time in a row MrsH paid for the return journey through the tunnel though. Cap De Formentor is something else though. I’m not very good with heights 😆

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

One of my favourite road rides, did it twice when we were there in June. Leave at 7, back for breakfast, you see no more than half a dozen cars out the road at that time. Avoids the heat too.

Wouldn’t want to do it during the day.

hora
    Free Member

We did it mid afternoon. The amount of coaches heading to Formentor made me avoid stopping there for a ‘secluded’ beach.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I did this back in late February so saw little traffic other that other cyclists. It was pretty much a perfect ride for a morning’s outing and the cafe at the lighthouse was surprisingly excellent. I’d love to do it again.

Have fun!

ianh252
    Free Member

Riden this morning, left Puerto pollensa at 0645 as the sun was rising, no traffic just other cyclists. Great ride and well worth the early rise as the kids and wife slept in the villa. Plenty of places to hire some great road bikes in the centre as well. Sa colobra next on the list.

Edric64
    Free Member

It`s a great ride leave before 6 am to avoid the heat and tourists

grim168
    Free Member

I’ve done it. I found the tunnel really unnerving. No night vision cause of bright sunlight and pedalled down middle of road as fast as poss then tailgated a car on way back. Going back in october and will use lights this time.

hammerite
    Free Member

I drove it a while back in a not too roadworthy Renault Twingo hire car. Didn’t find it too bad and the fact the OH didn’t threaten to get out and walk means it can’t have been too bad. There have been some roads in the Alps where she has been going batshit through fear of falling over the side of a mountain road.

martinhutch

The amount of coaches heading to Formentor made me avoid stopping there for a ‘secluded’ beach.

If you go early or late to Formentor Beach, it’s great. No-one would ever describe it as secluded though.

hora
    Free Member

It’s hardly ‘ere mate, straight on down the road for 100m’s is it!for anyone still there this locals place is ace:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187463-d1501258-Reviews-Bar_Dia-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

Alantico bar- ask the owner about his collection of US warship memorabilia or cafe la lonja

andyeez
    Free Member

Just got back having done Cap de Formentor and Lluc, both at 7am to avoid the traffic which was perfect timing. Will be going back to do Sa Calobra next spring. Best riding I have ever done!

hora
    Free Member

Funnily enough this chap states the same, do it at dawn otherwise its hell and you cant swing wide/straightline bends. https://youtu.be/y1LhUzL3qdU

The 2nd part of the vid features SA Calobra. My gawd what a beauty. That’s a June trip sorted for part deux 8)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cap De Formentor- anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.