Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • XBox 360 Slim won't connect via wireless with security (but fine without)
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Our newly purchased XBox 360 Slim connects via wireless to our Edimax BR-6574N Router, until we enable WPA2 security. Our laptop connects perfectly with the WPA2 security as it has always done.

As the XBox 360 forums seems to be having problems (programmed by the same team who programmes the XBox?) I hoped someone here might be able to shed some light on the situation?

The console Error Status Report is:

W: 0000 – 0000
    X: 8000 – 0011
    Y: 0000 – 0000
    Z: 0000 – 0000
    ID 0000 – 0009
    L: 8015 – 0002
    Q: 8007 – 0435
    T: Wireless
    A: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    G: 0.0.0.0
    D: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    N: ****** (censored)
    S: WPA2
    C: 0

prettygreenparrot

you’re using the right password?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

capitals?

wwaswas

if you’re 100% sure the password has been entered exactly then try one of the different encryption methods available and see if that’s ok?

DavidB
    Free Member

Is WPS enabled on the router? If so you may need to press a button on it prior to the Xbox connecting

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas.

Tried various passwords, even easy ones that can’t be mistyped.

Will try different encryption and look into WPS (which I had to Google).

TuckerUK
    Free Member

OK, it would appear the issue is merely with WPA2 encryption, because WPA encryption works fine. Until a solution is found we’ve downgraded the house wireless security to WPA.

Interestingly, during my online travels, I noticed many people suffering the exact same symptoms, with some saying that an update from their router manufacturer cured the issue.

Still awaiting any useful response from Microsoft, and will contact Edimax to see what they say.

Cougar

Does the 360 actually support wpa2? (mine’s wired so I’ve never tried)

Best thing you can do with WPS is disable it, it never works and it’s a big security hole.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best thing you can do with WPS is disable it, it never works and it’s a big security hole.

Not worth bothering, on most routers disabling it doesn’t actually do anything – hole still there.

If your bothered about security do MAC filtering if your really into the tin foil hats go wired

Cougar

MAC filtering does precisely squat for improving security, it can be bypassed in seconds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

back to wired then….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘XBox 360 Slim won't connect via wireless with security (but fine without)’ is closed to new replies.