Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Talk to me about Ipads
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Got a big birthday this year so going to treat myself to an iPad.

I have never owned an Apple Product am a PC person.

Should i go for the latest one?

Probably dont need the 3G aspect so just wifi but what size, the memory seems so small when comparing to storage on laptops.

Will be letting the kids use it especilly in the car for movies etc.

Can you transfer movies onto it that you alreay own, they dont even seem to have a USB socket!!!

Where is the best place to buy?

Cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you are putting movies on I would get one with larger memory. Use iTunes to manage your music and films – you might need some free software to convert films to the right format though I believe.

I would get the latest one personally if you can afford it.

grum
    Free Member

At least 32 gig memory IMO. You can watch films off sd cards with the camera connector kit (I bought a cheap copy version off eBay) though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i use VLC app to play video media that i already own – CBA converting it to itunes format – VLC will play practically anything !

foureyes
    Free Member

mine is 16G and i use home sharing to access my whole itunes lib including vids. my iphone is 32G so that contains the stuff id need away from home.

tinribz
    Free Member

The difference between the ipad 1 and 2 is one has a camera on the back, the difference between the 2 and 3 is there are cameras on the front and back.

I cant tell any difference in screen resolution or speed. Anything else is cosmetic, the newer ones are a bit thinner. 🙄

Dibbs
    Free Member

the newer ones are a bit thinner.

I think you’ll find the new one’s are a bit thicker.

foureyes
    Free Member

resolution change between the new one and previous is night and day, similar to the difference between a iphone 3G and an iphone 4, but bigger, and with better colour management. and the newer one is a bit thicker…

nick3216
    Free Member

Some of the content creation software may work better on the new one. Get a wireless keyboard.

there are cameras front and back of ipad2 and ipad3.

_tom_
    Free Member

Does it have to be an iPad? I have just started using an Android phone instead of something with iOS on it and I have to say I think it’s a lot better. Seems less prone to crashing and is much more customisable.

foureyes
    Free Member

this could go all the way 🙂

Smudger666

iPad 2 has camera front and back.

iPad is great if you need it – I mean I carry a LOT of work related PDF files on it so I don’t have a boot full of paper, and I dont have to lug a laptop into a clients premises.

Music, books and films are great when travelling.

GrahamS

The difference between the ipad 1 and 2 is one has a camera on the back, the difference between the 2 and 3 is there are cameras on the front and back.

Erm.. no. The iPad 1 has no cameras. The iPad 2 has them front and back (the front one being useful for FaceTime/Skype). On the iPad 3 the back camera is 1080p instead of 720p.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

I cant tell any difference in screen resolution

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

z1ppy

Was a significant b’day for me the other week, so I used it as an excuse to buy one… though I’m still waiting delivery…grrr
    [EDIT: Wha-hey literally ‘just’ got a shipping notification!]

I am a definitely a PC person, but have to admit if you use a apple product you will be impressed by the simplicity and it “just works” abilities. It started for me with the iPhone, I grudgingly set one up for my g/f, then wouldn’t/couldn’t put it down and basically bought on the strength of that and 2.5 years later I don’t regret it.
    I’m still using my 3GS, see no real reason to upgrade it, and it still does everything I want but since the iPad was released I’ve hankered after one.
    It won’t replace my computer, but then I have a desktop so won’t ever be browsing with that in front of the TV. For me I want something bigger to browse with than the phone but don’t need much more functionality than to browse/play music/stream video/read book or magazines, I don’t have any plans to buy any apps, as I don’t on the phone…

I played with a budget Android tablet yesterday and it was very good but not as slick as the iPad, and if your going to have to spend as much to get a decent Andriod alternative as the iPad, it’s a no brainer to me. I do understand why ppl would want Andriod alternatives too (Some look great options, like the Asus transformers), but as I don’t want/need to customise every aspect & I’ve yet to be convinced any are as ‘slick’ in use, I ordered the iPad.

I listened to a m8 who got the top iPad2 with wifi/3G and 64GB, he said you have your music on the (i)Phone, so you won’t need the biggest version and the 3G is only useful if you spend loads of time away from home, as for simple quick browsing your phone will do the job (or get a MiFi device). Though listening to reports about size of app’s coming to make use of the new screen, the basic 16Gb one maybe too small.

After saying all that, I believe the ‘budget’ iPad 2 looks great value.

tinribz
    Free Member

So everything is a bit smaller on the 3?

The phone comparison is not really relevant because the the screen is so small. At 480 pixels wide you cant render a web page full width. And even though you can on the 4 it’s too small to read anyway?

The resolution on your PC monitor is probably just under 100ppi, the ipad 1 is 132ppi. How much do you have to zoom in on stuff on a PC monitor see a drop in pic quality? And how much of that is down to what you are looking at?

All seems a bit emperors clothes to me unless your are doing CAD or something, but why do that on an ipad.

foureyes
    Free Member

Most artwork is doubleish in size to compensate for the extra res.

GrahamS

So everything is a bit smaller on the 3?

Nope. Everything is the same size but much higher resolution.

And even though you can on the 4 it’s too small to read anyway?

Currently reading this very forum on a 4 at full width without any trouble.

How much do you have to zoom in on stuff on a PC monitor see a drop in pic quality?

On a PC screen you can easily pick out individual pixels without zooming in at all (not that zooming in is a particular useful measure and the screen resolution obviously stays the same).

All seems a bit emperors clothes to me unless your are doing CAD or something, but why do that on an ipad.

Print magazines are typically 300dpi or better. If you aim to replace magazine with a digital version then a display capable of similar resolutions is a good thing.

tinribz
    Free Member

Nope. Everything is the same size but much higher resolution.

But everything on the web is optimised for about 100 dpi, so all you are looking at is 1 pixel made up u4 4?

Currently reading this very forum on a 4 at full width without any trouble.

On a PC screen you can easily pick out individual pixels without zooming in at all (not that zooming in is a particular useful measure and the screen resolution obviously stays the same).

From about 2 inches away?

Print magazines are typically 300dpi or better. If you aim to replace magazine with a digital version then a display capable of similar resolutions is a good thing.

Computer monitors are emissive while print is reflective. Everyone has experienced printing what looks fine on screen but terrible on paper. Totally different mediums.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or ‘print (cmyk) is additive, screen (rgb) is subtractive’.

😉

edd

I bought my first iPad, a new (HD), 16 GB, WiFi only, on Monday. I have to say that I’m a little disappointed. For me it’s too heavy for extensive use. I also find it difficult to type on unless it’s sat on something (obviously you can’t type with two hand if you’re holding it with one of your hands). For me the jury is definitely still out. That said, rather tellingly, I’ve written this post on it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Edd – I think you need to start exploring the apps (Flipboard is my current fave) and try not to see it as a laptop without a physical keyboard

edd

MS – I think you’re probably right. Will be checking out some apps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find mine next to useless without the smart cover – expensive bit of kit the smart cover but im very glad i bought it.

like you say its hard work if its laid flat or having to hold it up to work on something as oppose to slightly tilted which makes things ALOT easier !

of course there are plenty copys of smart cover about now !

nealglover
    Free Member

[ipad 2 vs ipad 3]I cant tell any difference in screen resolution

If you actually can’t tell the difference, I would recommend getting an eye examination ASAP.

There is something wrong with your peepers bud.

leffeboy

I’d be tempted to stick with the cheap ipad2 but use the cash to get the 3G. For me even though I only need it occasionally it turns it into a hugely useful device when you have 10 or 15 mins spare when waiting to pick up kids etc.

seosamh77
    Free Member

too locked down for my liking,

trail_rat
    Free Member

locked down to what – what do you want to do ? build a flying wing suit……

solman
    Free Member

I just bought the new iPad. The wife has an iPad 2 and the screen resolution difference and visual impact is similar to iPhone 3 vs 4. Text is much sharper and photos much more detailed. I have been using it to touch up photos taken on the SLR and the visual clarity is very impressive.

Apart from the higher resolution, it has a 5MP camera, and is marginally thicker and about 50 grams heavier than iPad 2. I would get the most recent one, with as much memory as possible. Especially as new apps/photos/ games with up rated graphics to accommodate the new resolution will take up more space.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Can’t see the point of iPad with 3G if you already have an iPhone, just use the teathering between the two for mobile Internet. That’s what I do with my iPad 1 and iPhone 4S, works a treat.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Well thats clear then. 😆

So the consensus is dont buy one, but the ipad1, buy the ipad2, go for the ipad3, get the 3g and get as much mem as poss. Dont treat it like a lap top and always use glasses when looking at it.

With that in mind where to buy?

solman
    Free Member

Agree it can be a bit confusing with all the differing opinions 🙂

As an iPad user since version 1, I say go for the latest, and get as much memory/storage as possible.

I have 3G on mine as I use it on the commute to work, and check emails etc. in between office and home. But that’s a requirement of my job and work pays for the 3G bill.

Go to Apple.

I walked in yesterday and walked out with one in 10 mins.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Clear, concise, spot on thanks. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The tethering option advice above is spot on.

saves a load of money (if you also have an iPhone)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    locked down to what – what do you want to do ? build a flying wing suit……
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Proper LOL!

GrahamS

The tethering option advice above is spot on.
    saves a load of money (if you also have an iPhone)

Most smartphones should be able to work as a wifi hotspot to allow tethering.

The tricky bit is whether your mobile operator allows it. O2 lock it out (though obviously you can always jailbreak around it and hope they don’t notice).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Love mine, I have a an iPad 1, 64gb wifi only. I’d recommend you get max memory if you want a lot of movies and all your music, if you want to save a little money then get a 2 vs a 3.

Its so useful I no longer use my laptop (also a mac) just have the iPad and a desktop Mac. It’s great for web browsing, email, movies and BBC iPlayer. I have the connector to upload pictures from camera memory card, the new 3 will run picture edit software too. It’s so much lighter than a laptop so easy to carry with you and convenient to watch things on your lap or with a stand. The battery lasts many times longer than a laptop would. The instant on feature is wonderful. I have a few apps inc word processor, spreadsheet etc but the are not so important for me. Friends love games and newspaper subscriptions. The camera on 2 & 3 is great for video calls, I just do voice calls from Skype.

For movies I buy and download via iTunes or run “rip” software from other formats of from actual discs.

Written on my iPad

fingerbike
    Free Member

Apple products are OK, the problem is iTunes, £&@# I hate iTunes, if you’re going to let it sync a current music collection or anything, make sure you have a backup.

wallop

I got a work iPad. Didn’t get a data package with it though, so I’ve just invested in a 3gig sim card from amazon for £11, plus a sim card cutter to make it into a micro sim. Winner! Internets on the train!

CountZero

Apple products are OK, the problem is iTunes, £&@# I hate iTunes, if you’re going to let it sync a current music collection or anything, make sure you have a backup.

Why?
    I would recommend you also get the camera kit as well. I’ve put a load of photos on mine from my TZ3, and it’s just fantastic for viewing photos on. I’ve also just installed Filterstorm. Fantastic app for working on photos with, and it’ll handle some RAW, files as well, really worth the £2.45.

nick3216
    Free Member

Whatever version you settle on

Get. A. Wireless. Keyboard.

It’s like a netbook with more usable screen when paired, and a tablet when keyboard is away, for instance on train.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Ipads’ is closed to new replies.