Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • wtf is smart casual.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

i have a 30th birthday party to go to in a few weeks, i have been told the club operates a smart casual attire policy.

What does this mean, i guess my usual T shirt trainers and jeans isn’t going to suffice!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Is it Steven hawking wearing an overpriced poloshirt and parka?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s just like your usual casual T-Shirt, trainers and jeans combination, but… wait for it… smarter.

HTH

edhornby

it means ‘make an effort to not look like a pile of …. and bear in mind that the doorman is the arbiter of good taste so you’re on your own’

trainers and badly fitting clothes aren’t going to be a good call but don’t wear a suit either

sweepy
    Free Member

I suspect its probably the sort of thing the Mrs would make me wear to a wedding.
    Trousers, short sleeved shirt and trainers that look a lot like shoes 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Chinos, deck shoes and a nice polo shirt should do the job.

mboy
    Free Member

lol @ deadlydarcy

problem is, he’s about right!

“smart casual” is ponce speak for “dress like a golf player”

Personally, I think it’s the absolute antithesis of having any kind of individual style. Smart is valid, as is casual… Smart casual is pointless, smart and casual cancel each other out into a bland nothingness!

grievoustim
    Free Member

if its a club it means no trainers – and a shirt with a collar,

you can play chicken with “trainers that don’t look much like trainers” if you like – but don’t come crying to me when the bouncer doesn’t let you in

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it means a ‘sports jacket’, open-necked shirt, ‘slacks’ (ffs) and maybe brown shoes are allowed.

In other words, poncy.

I would never go to any club that has a ‘dress code’, because A) they’re full of ponces, and B) they’re probbly really boring with shite music and stupidly overpriced drinks.

The scummier and scruffier the club, the better. I wanna be comfy if I’m going to have a boogie. 😀

grievoustim
    Free Member

and you won’t enjoy yourself

it is not possible to enjoy yourself in any setting that demands smart/ casual

sweepy
    Free Member

you can play chicken with “trainers that don’t look much like trainers” if you like – but don’t come crying to me when the bouncer doesn’t let you in

GT thats a good point, well put.

mboy
    Free Member

it is not possible to enjoy yourself in any setting that demands smart/ casual

precisely

dress codes are put in place to stop people having fun at all, cos otherwise, heaven forbid, things might possibly get a little wayward!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Jeans (faded and ripped)
    T-Shirt (with some offensive slogan)
    Trainers (dirty)

AND, to make it smart casual,

A tie.

Done

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Think “dress like clarkson”

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s simple.

No trainers, wear shoes or boots.
    Jeans are fine so long as they are not tatty & ripped.
    Wear a shirt, not a t-shirt.

Take a look at woody from Toy Story if you are not sure, you can’t go wrong.

HTH 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sod Clarkson, think ‘some fashion sense’

Surely everyone owns a decent pair of shoes to wear with the dark un-ripped jeans and alternative polos / paul smith casual shirts that they own?

druidh
    Free Member

White T-shirt, a kilt and a pair of CAT boots.

timber

Not the t-shirt with bolegnase and chocolate stains
    Not the jeans with grass stain down one leg and chainring print on the other
    Clean the mud off your shoes

grievoustim
    Free Member

these are just the thing

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

it’s golf type clothing that some 55 year old boden clad fat bloke who runs an office would consider acceptable

try…

Chinos, deck shoes and a nice polo shirt

but drape a cricket jumper over your shoulders to complete the look.

Coyote
    Free Member

Think “dress like clarkson”

Spot on. Or maybe “sports casual”.

If I can’t wear what I want to wear, I don’t go. I **** hate dress codes with a passion. “Smart Casual”, “Morning Suits”(FFS!!), “Black Tie”(WTF!?).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The undisputed world smart casual champion :

Do you have any cardigans mrmo ?

_tom_
    Free Member

Shoes, nice jeans, some kind of casual shirt or polo. That’s what I always thought it was anyway.

epicyclo

Just press a crease in your baggies and hose the mud of your shoes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

never ever dress shoes with jeans, never collared shirt with jeans or sports jacket with jeans.

thats the “dress like clarkson” look its wrong!

aracer
    Free Member

You can play chicken with “trainers that don’t look much like trainers” if you like – but don’t come crying to me when the bouncer doesn’t let you in

Yeah – been there done that with lightweight walking boots that looked like trainers to the doorman. If it was up to me I wouldn’t frequent any place that doesn’t let you in with trainers, but needs the bouncers to control the drunken yobs within, but unfortunately back then I went out with a group who did.

trout
    Free Member

I have always wondered why the trainer thing was a deciding factor in club entry.

Does`nt apply to me now as most saga clubs allow slippers

TooTall
    Free Member

If I can’t wear what I want to wear, I don’t go. I **** hate dress codes with a passion. “Smart Casual”, “Morning Suits”(FFS!!), “Black Tie”(WTF!?).

It sounds like you are too low in social status and standing to be invited to any gathering with a prerequisite of any sort. Best you remain outside with your nose pressed against the window along side the other grubby urchins.

walleater

I always thought it was people with no social standing at all that wore smart casual. Like mongtards that drink in Yates Wine Baaaaas.

philconsequence
    Free Member

shoes, suit, shirt that’s designed to be worn outside the trousers (not tucked in) and no tie. gel your hair into a quif and pout like a duck.

sorted. (well thats what my google image shirt would suggest)

have fun with the shirt… i find Hawaiian shirts will draw enough attention to have the ladies climbing over each other to get a chance to touch your penis.

still feel you need to stamp some individuality on the evening? well no problems, be crafty, take a bag with a complete change of clothes.. explain to the bouncers you’re getting a taxi home and dont have a car you can leave it in. then once inside with your bag past the bouncers, get changed into your rocky horror fancy dress. and enjoy 🙂

billybob
    Free Member

smart casual is a warning that you’ll be going somewhere full of people you wont like, whilst wearing something that’ll make you feel like a dick.

hels
    Free Member

You can always over dress you know – a dress code is a minimum standard not the maximum you can get away with – not like the speed limit.

Time for that smart suit and brothelcreepers I reckon. Dare to look good !

hels
    Free Member

Or even better go in costume. Elvis was always smartly dressed. So is The Pope.

djglover
    Free Member

You’ve managed to get to 30 without knowing what Smart Casual is. Do you ever go out.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Time to dust off the Safari suit

wes
    Free Member

Smart casual, as in a pair of shoes and a shirt. Not exactly rocket science. Anyone who doesn’t like people because of how they dress are knobs though.

uplink
    Free Member

What you need is a leisure [pronounced leesure] suit

thomthumb
    Free Member

club with dress policy = crap music and full of chavs in shoes.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Where is the club? Somewhere posh or somewhere chav that has ideas of grandeur?

momo

I hate clubs with a dress code, normally means it’s full off chavs in burberry (or whatever the latest ‘brand’ is) shirts and cheap shoes drinking overpriced p1ss water lager, and fat orange slappers wearing belts (I say belts as they are without fail too short to qualify as a skirt) all trying to start fights with each other.

I normally go out in shoes or boots anyway (I’m favouring pointy ones at the moment), but always end up in the grottiest club in Lincoln (sugarcubes in case anyone knows it) because they play the music that I like, the JD is cheap and I like the pretty young girls with nice tattoos.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘wtf is smart casual.’ is closed to new replies.