• This topic has 69 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Would you ride a electric bicycle?
  • ton

please just answer yes or no.

if for some reason you were unable to ride a bike under your own steam, would you ride a electric bike?

chorlton
    Free Member

No.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes

Ton – there is some great kit out there. You could take any bike and give it a kit that will boost on climbs.

ampthill

I some times wonder if i should by one so that I can manage a commute that is to far for me to pedal. Do i guess he answer is yes

(I’m know loads of you could manage the distance but thats not the point)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tough to say really.

chorlton
    Free Member

A steam powered one though, I would. Far more civilized. 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Yes.

clareymorris

Ton I had a go on one yesterday while waiting to get on the Windermere ferry. Chatting to the lady who owned it and she absolutely loves it. Had a bad back and just wants to be able to get out with her friends on bikes.

It was great fun!

I’m hoping a friend of mine who also has a bad back will hire one out and give it a go I think she’d love it!

leffeboy

Yes – absolutely. Given the choice of being able to go riding or not there isn’t a choice really.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Definitely.

Garry_Lager

No.

Think I’d prefer to just go hiking / walking if I couldn’t manage the bike. Never ridden an electric bike though so no real idea what they feel like.

stuey
    Free Member

yes

Edit MBA reviewed one years ago and a quick google brings up
    they even make eletric motocross nowdays

chorlton
    Free Member

Are there any electric bikes that are capable off road yet? I know I might as well ask how long is a piece of string, but I don’t just mean tow paths.
    Would they be legal on bridleways?

accu
    Free Member

YES!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

chorlton – Member

Are there any electric bikes that are capable off road yet? I know I might as well ask how long is a piece of string, but I don’t just mean tow paths.
    Would they be legal on bridleways

Yes and yes

Two ways to add a kit to any bike – wheel motor or crank motor – advantages and disadvantages to both. So no reason why you couldn’t put one on any bike

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Yes – why not.

sambob
    Free Member

Probably, but I think I’d be tempted to take up MX or enduro something if I could, looks like great fun.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

No it’s cheating 🙂

pegglet
    Free Member

Still got my 12year old giant lafree,awesome!

carlosg
    Free Member

Yes.

A mate who likes to tinker a bit has built a DH capable e-bike and regularly comes out with us (grinning manically at us as he flies up the push ups 👿 ). The bike has been clocked at over 40mph on the flat!

coma2s
    Free Member

NO, its not the same

Schweiz
    Free Member

I did a big ride with a chap on one last year in the Black Forest in Germany. He worked in the industry and had a very customised and high-spec bike.

He flew up the hills of course, and even got up some quite technical climbs that had the rest of us pushing.

He did OK on the downs. He clearly suffered from all the extra weight and lack of maneuverability. He had a couple of falls and damaged an electrical cable which needed a very time consuming and complicated repair.

On anything but technical downs he did OK. He had to walk down some of the tricky stuff which was not an easy task with about 30kg of bike.

I’d definitely ride one if I needed to. They are a very common site now here in Switzerland on roads, cycle paths and fire roads.

ianv
    Free Member

Yes, one of these:

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/e-bike/e-bike/KTMegnitionlim88.php?lang=EN

120 FS and hardtails also available.

with added pic

Bregante

Yes? It would give me an excuse to buy this

CHB

Definately yes. I am currently considering a spencer ivy from Crossgates cycles to help with the Leeds to Harrogate commute. The Kalkhoff and panasonic pedelecs are really good, you can still pedal hard, but you just go faster and hills are a doddle.

clareymorris

The KTM bikes look fab!

Saccades
    Free Member

yes.

cinnamon_girl

Yes.

How are you doing ton?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yes

If it meant I could still get out and ride in the fresh air. Do it.

Northwind

Yes. If I was convinced it’d do the job. I wouldn’t if it was just going to be a pale imitation.

meehaja
    Free Member

yes.

MrOvershoot

Without a doubt yes if it meant I could get out on a bike.

coma2s
    Free Member

If it got to the point I couldnt ride a bike anymore I would just go over to enduro / greenlane riding

higthepig
    Free Member

Yes

hels
    Free Member

A friend of mine in Switzerland has one and loves it, although it doesn’t go offroad much from what I can gather.

I had a shot on it and it was a huge giggle on the climbs. I wasn’t brave enough to take in on a descent as even with the seat all the way down it was way too big for me.

I reckon go for it. My pals bike you pedal as much as you want/can, then up the power to kick in as much as you want, so still get some exercise.

You can pick your route carefully for the weight/steering issues.

Ticklinjock

Aye, for sure.

Sandwich

Yes. I test rode the Storch one at the bike show last year. Quiet and quick, lovely bike.

showerman
    Free Member

just been watching this on tech toys 360 looks shit but seems to be able to do the job at £22,000 all hand made, 1 weeks worth of cnc work and can do 60kmh only 55 made
    http://www.m55-bike.com/en
    comes in a better box than canyon
    http://www.romansinternational.com/car/570/m55-terminus-m55

BigJohn

Yes, The reason being that cycling is the best way to enjoy the countryside. Walking means you are staring at the same bit for too long, and you have to look at the ground too much, motoring means you flash past stuff without seeing the good bits, and when you want to stop there’s usually nowhere to do it.

Cycling (including electric bikes) means the landscape passes by at just the right rate and you can stop easily to take a closer look and you really feel inside it.

try5
    Free Member

yes
    in fact i have
    it was one of those ones whos power output corresponds to the amount of leg oomph you input.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Would you ride a electric bicycle?’ is closed to new replies.