Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Would you leave your car over night in the Peak near Lady bower Reservoir
  • ampthill

I’m contemplating a bivvey trip. I can leave the car with nothing in it. Is is a bad spot for break ins? Likely to be a car of low value but still expensive and pain to replace the glass

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to leave a car down near Fairholmes. I’m sure leaving it in Bamford on a quiet residential street would be OK though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d ask a pub landlord if I could leave it in their carpark, or perhaps offer a farmer a drink. I wouldn’t leave my car overnight in a random carpark or layby.

binners

I went walking out near Ladybower on a skivey midweek afternoon, with one of my mates. When we got back to his car it’d been broken into, as he’d foolishly left on display…. 3 creme eggs

iain1775
    Free Member

I imagine the Ladybower Inn would be okay if you checked with them first & spent some money on your return
    Or on street parking in Hope opposite the college is free, or the carpark in Hope or Castleton should be fine, I think overnight parking is allowed in both

ampthill

So that’s looking like a no, confirming my gut instinct. I’ll need a route re think as I’m on foot.

BadlyWiredDog

I had a car broken into there a few years back while we were night-riding. They stole a bunch of rubbish burned CDs after screw-srivering the drivers door lock – Mk2 Golf. After that I just left it unlocked with the rear hatch cover off so you could see there was nothing in it.

sweepy
    Free Member

Cheap car and leave it unlocked for me too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also there is the risk of doggers. Last thing you need is getting back to the car, and it looks like someone has thrown a tub of wallpaper paste over it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There’s a small housing estate just down the road, you could leave it there?

benp1

I parked overnight in the car park next to Ladybower for a one night wildcamping trip. Car was fine, though I was worried about leaving it

If I was doing it by bike I’d try and leave it somewhere more built up and cycle a bit further, but I was walking so wanted to park reasonably close

footflaps

I wouldn’t leave my car overnight in a random carpark or layby.

I’ve done this many times in the Peaks and Lakes on multi-day trips and never had a problem.

banks
    Free Member

Same here, all they stole was a pair of plastic pants. To be fair they were regatta..

sweepy
    Free Member

I believe thats known as ‘seagulling’ Jamie

binners

Indeed. Similar principle to the frankly brilliant phrase ‘she ended up with a face like a plasterers radio’ 😆

I fear we’re drifting off topic a bit here

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Ampthill – ask at Bamford Garden Centre if you can leave it there, reasonably secure and then cross Bamford Rec, pick up the old railway line up to the front of Ladybower, cross the top of the dam, walk around to Ashopton Viaduct and you’re back on plan – prob adds an hour to the route if on foot.

ampthill

Thanks folks. Never fails to amaze me what people know on here

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Would you leave your car over night in the Peak near Lady bower Reservoir’ is closed to new replies.