Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Would what you class as a flat ride? (i.e. not hilly)
  • colournoise

Not quite the Fens here, but on the edge. MTB route around the local woods is about 100m climbing per 10km of riding. Anything more than that is hilly for us flatlanders…

Our regular ish Peak rides run to about 350m per 10km.

mawdesleytractor
    Free Member

You’ve just described the Fens perfectly, apart from no mention of the obligatory headwind that will feature strongly on any East Angular cycle ride; normally on one of the dead straight roads that run along the edge of a featureless dyke.

Is Mawdesley twinned with The Fens?

I didn’t think the fens were that bad! No seriously Mawdesley is the absolute pits for mountain biking (absolute pits in every other way too).

I guess in the fens you’ve got, well, the fens. In Mawdesley there aren’t even any streams, rivers, lakes. Apart from when it floods, like it did at Christmas and all the stinking cabbage fields were beneath 2 foot of filthy water and this non-place was even more cut-off from humanity than it normally is.

Mawdesley must be one of the most featureless and boring areas in the UK. To make matters worse it’s a snobby commuter area so the narrow potholed backroads are full of speeding luxury 4×4’s (Mawdesley Tractors as I call them) – so it’s not safe.

Outside of Mawdesley there are some tiny hills on the way to such delightful post-industrial dystopia’s like Skelmersdale, Wigan and Chorley. You know the sort of places, the recruiting ground for the Jeremy Kyle show. There are some busy pot-holed roads up these hills but that’s about as good as it gets.

The “real” hills are the West pennines, however from Mawdesley you have to navigate a nightmare of a route, through the surrounding desolate, inbred, “Wicker man-esque”, banjo-playing dunagree wearing bumpkin-land, then a series of post-apocalyptic urban areas until you reach the hills. Most of time it’s not worth the bother.

Would be nice to be able to cycle out from my front door and actually enjoy it, but that’s not possible. It’s better to drive up the M6 for an hour to find somewhere out of this god-foresaken hole.

njee20
    Free Member

1000ft / 10 miles is my break point where i classify a ride as hilly whereever i am

+1

Just averaged my last 10 or so rides and getting 132ft for every mile – Derbyshire Dales with odd Dark Peak thrown in

njee20
    Free Member

Just averaged my last 10 or so rides and getting 132ft for every mile – Derbyshire Dales with odd Dark Peak thrown

What’s your point caller? Is that hilly or not?

epicyclo

It’s a bit lumpy around here, so anything that doesn’t have the word Bealach in it. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sometimes I have to bump up kerbs that haven’t been lowered by the council.

What’s your point caller? Is that hilly or not?

Sorry, I don’t class it as hilly, just normal riding – certainly wouldn’t want much less and anything under 1000ft/10miles would definitely be too flat for my liking

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

My last five full-day rides fall consistently in the range 17 to 22 miles distance.
    Ascent in feet / distance in miles:
    5000 / 18 = St Sunday & Helvellyn
    5000 / 17 = 4 Passes
    7000 / 22 = Helvellyn twice
    6000 / 21 = Whiteless Pike & Red Pike
    4000 / 21 = Rossett, Grains Gill, Stake Pass (inc loads of flat stuff on road bringing the average down)
    so, about 275 feet per mile = hilly

Dibbs
    Free Member

I live between the Quantocks and Exmoor, 500m (1600ft) per 10 miles is normal for a road ride for me.

Just checked and I averaged 128ft per mile last year.

benp1

@Mawdesleytractor – so you’re not a fan of Mawdesley then?

Fatbike for the beach?

Mine are MTB ft/miles btw

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Did a ride in Skåne a few years ago. About 70 km. Give or take.

I think it was about 25-30m of climbing (don’t have the GPS log anymore to check) No bridges. No motorway overpasses. No nothing. Most boring ride ever. And I’ve lived in the fens. Briefly.

redthunder
    Free Member

@malvernride

How dare you say the Severn vale is flat…. I know of some really steep level crossings. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not had a willy waving thread in ages… 😀

mrhoppy

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Not had a willy waving thread in ages…

Not for about 5 months ….. oh, right, as you were.

But if we’re reopening this, my mid week ride as Alps prep has been running at 5 miles and 1500ft climbing recently and I classify that as really **** hilly (and with 4 loops up the same road climb a bit repetitive).

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Would what you class as a flat ride? (i.e. not hilly)’ is closed to new replies.