• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • pimp my ride….. budget version.
  • alpin
    Free Member

i don’t want to go spending loads on it.. have other things more deserving of my €€€s.

not keen on the plain green look. needs some accent colour. not adverse to vinyling the roof, mirrors or the hood. have got lots of diffent coloured vinyl in the workshop that i can have for free.

it does have some summer wheels which are boring 14″ silver 5 spoke alloys. these could be repainted before fitting next week (rattle can job). also, the winter steelies could also be painted.

got any ideas? (if you want to kill 20 mins and photoshop your ideas that’d be even better… i’m rubbish with Paint.

[/url]DSC_0155 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GhQGnB]DSC_0157[/url] by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr

wwaswas

something subtle on the body kit front?

AD

Honestly – I think it looks pretty cool already (particularly with the black steel wheels) but I am very much looking forward to the Photoshop suggestions… 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

@ wwas….. certainly fulfills the budget criteria…!

M6TTF
    Free Member

kayak23

ThePinkster

How about twin white Go Faster stripes up the bonnet, over the roof and down the boot and big white circles on the doors, ready to take numbers?

Should be quite easy if you’ve got the vinyl available.

mattyfez

I think it looks ok, might be the light but the paint looks a bit dull, maybe worth getting a proper deep shine polish job done on it?

Also maybe replace the side repeaters and indicators for clear ones and put orange bulbs in and/r put some black tint spray on them..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Go Faster stripes up the bonnet

You what?!

wwaswas

You what?!

It’s a strong look.

Daffy

1. That old girl could use a wash!
    2. Get it properly polished or do it yourself if you have the gear. £300 (you’ll likely get most of your money back for this when you sell it – it lasts quite a while)
    3. Get a set of BBS LM 15″ Reps for £315 which’ll look ace.
    4. Replace ALL of the orange lense covers for clear with Philips silver bulbs.

Max £700 (most of which you’ll get back should you chose to sell) and it’ll look ace.

Daffy

Drac

alpin
    Free Member

current alloys look a lot like this:

alpin
    Free Member

drac… that is amazing! i like!

kayak is a close 2nd….

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Jalopnik loves Miata/MX5.

I have a friend who’s on his second one, I’ll ask him for a few basic links…

Bregante

dracs paint job adds a fair bit of weight judging by the effect it’s having on the cobbles.

Drac

It’s the fat tyres.

jekkyl

spend the money on important things like bikes and bike bits. 🙂

Daffy

Drac – Moderator
    It’s the fat tyres.

Judging by the eyes, it’s quite startled by its own appearance…

davea37

Get the frame rails and sills welded up if you haven’t already 😉

alpin
    Free Member

^^ that’ll need doing in a few years, hence I’m not going to spend mega bucks on it just yet. Being kept in a garage for the last 12 years and having the hardtop have helped stave off the rust.
    GF wants to ratlook it once the sills have been done.

garage-dweller

Leave it as is but get it really well polished.

If you must mess around with it what Daffy’s posted looks decent.

andcarson
    Free Member

Each to their own of course but I really don’t get the desire to do anything cosmetic to a car. I begrudge having to own a car at all (for work) and the thought of deliberately making it look nice just defeats me!
    I don’t think I’ve ever even cleaned a car in my entire driving life!

andcarson
    Free Member

Sorry, that was negative. You clearly weren’t looking for that kind of input. Nice car by the way!

alpin
    Free Member

^^ i feel the same, hence the “budget” criteria…. but it has become a necessity due to GF’s new job and our imminent relocation. if you have to spend so much time with/in/doing something it may as well be fun.

mattyfez

Buy yourself a some Maguires polish stuff and some good quality cloths /chamois, read a few online car detailing guides and get cracking!

A weekend of bodywork TLC and it will look great!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

mattyfez

^that is brilliant! 🙂

senorj

Sort the wheels out as you suggested &a decent polish and save your money for servicing it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Proper machine polish will do more for its looks than anything else. Get someone who knows what they are doing and it will be well worth it.

And something done with the wheels, even if you just get the steels shot blasted and powder coated in silver (or black) dirt cheap and will looks loads better.

I paid £60 for a set of 15″ steels to be blasted and powder coated, and they looked better than new ones, and lasted years without a spot of rust (unlike new ones)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Any of these inspiring?

mattyfez

If not wanting to spend money, at least straight away, leave the wheels, Matt black steelies look cool.

Give it a good polish!

timber

Looks are a personal thing, but 15″ summer wheels with Toyos or something decent are good start, certainly noticed the difference on ours to my parents 14″ Pirellis.
    Brakes always seemed adequate. Scope for stiffening the structure, a friend fitted some door wedge spacers, very simple and cheap with good results, he has a write up in evo on it as it is one of the fleet cars they follow.
    Bracing and arbs were next on the list for ours before a van rear ended it.

Most of the mods on ours were hidden so looked pretty stock, but improved air flow and ignition.

alpin
    Free Member

As far as Fahrvergnügen goes (can’t think of the English… :oops:) it is already pretty sorted. Lowered and bloody stiff sport suspension, bracing under the bonnet, k&n filter.

Already VERY planted. Was down south in the alps today ragging it through some of the valleys and up a few hills. However, I was thinking of putting some semi-slicks on it for summer, but the summer tyres we got with it still have plenty of tread (despite being six years old). I dread to think how much grip it would have then….

My only gripe would be that it could do with more power, as the engine is only 1.6 (110bhp).

Just want to jazz up the exterior for fun.

timber

Thought it looked lowered, but didn’t know the quality of it. Couldn’t do it with ours as needed the clearance to get up and down the lane yo the house. Started with a 1.8iS as the base due to LSD.

Mesh grilles, smooth out the aerial and relocate centrally or hide away if signal isn’t important, upgrade the seats if you have the basic ones, smoked repeaters on a dark car, balance out the rear lights (depends on German spec – basically both clusters with clear reversing lens, but silvered fog light bulb in place).

And remove the roof 😉

Cougar

(if you want to kill 20 mins and photoshop your ideas that’d be even better.

Christ. A thread that promised so much and delivered so little. Is disappoint.

DT78
    Free Member

Get the wheels painted lum orange and smoke the lights, I like the dull used look.

alpin
    Free Member

Bump for the office crew….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘pimp my ride….. budget version.’ is closed to new replies.