Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Would I use an iPad?
  • bruneep

leaving 2 hands free to surf and type fiddle with oneself whilst looking pron.

Is what you mean. 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

I bought one and it replaced my laptop (macbook). The i starting using a work macbook pro and that replaced the ipad. They are useful when travelling, though.

If you struggle to type on one, get a keyboard for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t get the sweaty legs/privates from the heat of a laptop

I have one very large laptop that makes my legs hot, this one doesn’t though. It’s completely cool underneath.

Are you saying you put the iPad flat on your lap and type on it that way?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

ASUS Transformer Prime is the best of both. A tablet and keyboard.

Best of all, its not an overpriced iPad ! 😉

YMMV 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

You don’t get the sweaty legs/privates from the heat of a laptop
    I have one very large laptop that makes my legs hot, this one doesn’t though. It’s completely cool underneath.

Are you saying you put the iPad flat on your lap and type on it that way?

No, I meant my 17″ MBP gave me a sweaty lap, there’s nothing sweaty with an iPad apart from parting with the money.

clarkpm4242 – Member
    ASUS Transformer Prime is the best of both. A tablet and keyboard.

Best of all, its not an overpriced iPad !

YMMV

A transformer is 450/500 which is about the same a IPad, I’ve not used one so I can’t really comment on how good it is. But I can say it is PIG UGLY.

arcane
    Free Member

It’s nice to have, but is only a toy at the end of the day. Nice for people who find conventional computers difficult to use I guess.

CountZero

It’s nice to have, but is only a toy at the end of the day. Nice for people who find conventional computers difficult to use I guess.

You really don’t know very much about iPads and what you can actually do with them, do you?

andytherocketeer

I predict you will have one within 3 months. 😉

OK then, set a calendar reminder entry for 12th June and we’ll see whose prediction is closest 😉
    My prediction is that I won’t (unless work buys me one, which is highly unlikely).

aracer
    Free Member

No, I meant my 17″ MBP gave me a sweaty lap

Must be a problem with that brand of laptop then.

(typing with both hands on my nice cool Lenovo ultraportable sat on my lap – screen at a different angle to the keyboard for viewing convenience – or occasionally using one hand to drink a glass of wine as I read).

Did we ever establish how you actually type on an iPad – do you have to put it down on your lap?

hugor
    Free Member

I use the ipad 2 with the Kensington bluetooth keyboard.
    The combination is the same size or even bigger than many netbooks.
    Its a whole lot more expensive and it does a whole lot less.
    As for reading I agree that holding it out in front of you like a book is not comfortable for an length of time.
    I fold out the keyboard with the screen standing up and rest it in my lap. It is basically the same position you would use a laptop.
    The screen is no better or worse on your eyes than reading off a computer so it fails as a reader.
    Many of the apps don’t sync well with my pc software and they all have small bugs which you work around – I thought apple was meany to have all this kind of stuff sorted.
    I think its a fashion accessory and I wouldn’t buy it again.
    Being a pc user I’m disappointed I got sucked into this apple marketing crap.

eyerideit
    Free Member

No, I meant my 17″ MBP gave me a sweaty lap
    Must be a problem with that brand of laptop then.

(typing with both hands on my nice cool Lenovo ultraportable sat on my lap – screen at a different angle to the keyboard for viewing convenience – or occasionally using one hand to drink a glass of wine as I read).

Did we ever establish how you actually type on an iPad – do you have to put it down on your lap?

It’s a beast of a machine- they’re not called laptops anymore as they are considered too powerful (comparable to a desktop machine) and are now referred to as portables – but anyway that’s by the by.

I’ve got an iPad2 and I type holding it, using the traditional poking the screen with one finger method. The smart cover is rolled into a triangle and therefore provides excellent purchase on the device.

It’s rarely on my lap but when it is the smart cover is rolled and then I can type. But I never type so much it become uncomfortable to do so.

richc
    Free Member

They still look like a lot of money for what they are to me the Ainol Aurora looks like a much better buy (when they are back in stock) as they are around 1/4 of the price for pretty similar kit

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPad2 and I type holding it, using the traditional poking the screen with one finger method.

Ah – so it’s a lot more awkward than typing on my laptop, and you can’t type with one hand whilst drinking a glass of wine with the other (though I’m not actually drinking a glass of wine at the moment).

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPad2 and I type holding it, using the traditional poking the screen with one finger method.
    Ah – so it’s a lot more awkward than typing on my laptop, and you can’t type with one hand whilst drinking a glass of wine with the other.

Not really I drink wine from my camelbak, as it keeps the red at perfect temperature and I don’t have to get up for a refill.

😉

mcboo
    Free Member

I regretted buying mine for 6 months or so in 2010. I didnt find things like iplayer very stable or fast. I THINK what happened was the software caught up with the device, it’s now a lovely way to surf the web and watch tv.

I have it with me around the house, dont use it for much more than catching up with BBC documentaries, listening to Today while I get ready for work and a bit of web at night. Thats more than enough to justify having one. Wouldnt rush out and upgrade to the new one though.

aracer
    Free Member

Surely it’s easier just to put a drinking hose on a wine box?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

But I can say it is PIG UGLY

Hmm, the Prime makes the iPad look like a cheap plastic toy…
    …lovely finish and build quality.

YMMV 😉

I own one therefore I am bound to say it is great 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I bought mine and didn’t really use it for the first three months – regretted buying it. Tried watching a film on it, but had to prop it up on my laptop so i didn’t have to hold it all the time (hands free type film 😳 ). Whats the point in that eh!

Then I started using iBooks and its fantastic. Then I got a proper cover that means it’ll stand up on its own and downloaded 3 minute gaps – brilliant. I can’t remember the last time I used my laptop (which gets REALLY hot with its stupid fans underneath).

Seriously, those slagging them off probably haven’t used them. Its ace and I’d be lost without it

molgrips
    Free Member

dont use it for much more than catching up with BBC documentaries, listening to Today while I get ready for work and a bit of web at night.

Really? I already have a radio, a TV and a laptop.

johnhe

I love mine. I find typing on it great. And my laptop makes my legs sweaty too. Great for travelling, coffee shops etc. Crap for excel documents etc though. Being able to lie about on the courch watching youtube/iplayer etc is great. Next I want an Apple TV so I can stream what I’m watching onto the telly.

toby1

Jesus honestly if you don’t want one then don’t get one and leave those that have one alone and let them get on with enjoying it.

They are not an essential device, they are something people buy if they feel they want/need it. Of course they don’t really need it – but seriously, get a grip of something, wander into the garage/shed and ask yourself if you NEED that many bikes, do you NEED that price forks or would cheaper options do a remarkably similar job.

Those of you that are single laptop using rigid singlespeeders just stay out of it alright!

aracer
    Free Member

Seriously, those slagging them laptops off probably haven’t used them. a nice cool lightweight one (you probably all have rubbish MBPs like eyeridetit)

FTFY

grum
    Free Member

aracer, my gf has a nice £1500 ultra light, cool PC laptop. She’s always using my iPad instead.

Oh, and I type using it like in eyerideit’s picture on the right sat on my lap – I can do it pretty fast but if I had serious word docs to do I would either use a bluetooth keyboard with it or use a desktop/laptop, as it’s not mega comfortable to type for extended periods.

I have written short docs on it in the train/car though and nobody died.

molgrips
    Free Member

With the thing flat on your lap the screen looks like a difficult angle to read.

grum
    Free Member

It’s not flat on your lap, it’s angled up by triangle made by the case. And it’s not hard to read. Which you’d know if you tried one.

Houns

I’ve got one, had it for just over 2 months. Not impressed.

Few things that are annoying, lack of flash, you don’t realise how many sites you want to look at use it.

Typing can be a pain, especially if you make a mistake, you can’t touch the screen to make the cursor go to the middle of the word, you have to poke at it to eventually it goes to the end of the word then delete word and start again. It is a faff switching to numbers and symbols and back

I also find that some sites you can’t easily copy the URL . Worst one is you tube. Another annoying thing about it/YouTube is that if someone on here posted a YouTube link, I click on it, go to YouTube but to come back to this thread I’d have to hit the home button and log back in to stw.

I also find that the browser never saves passwords etc so always have to enter them

Twitter app is crap

Hate the fact that you have to pay for anything useful.

I will be keeping an eye out for an android tablet then selling this iPad to get that

madhouse

Don’t worry about the whole Flash thing, as an Apple user I’ve not found it an issue, I can’t remember the last site I visited on my phone that didn’t work.

Besides, it’s currently being replaced with HTML5 and that does work with Apple stuff.

I don’t have a tablet though, not found a need for one as yet.

SBrock
    Free Member

Few things that are annoying, lack of flash, you don’t realise how many sites you want to look at use it.

Are you saying you didn’t know that it didn’t run flash before your bought it? Sounds to me that you didn’t do your homework!

Sell it mate then you will be happy!

toby1

Hmm, houns makes some interesting points there, I’m still tablet free but was going to go for one shortly, those are valid usability objections to the ipad there rather than the ‘I don’t like it cos it’s shit’ opinions – well aside from flash, I’m pretty sure I can live without that (having said that I did find it caused a problem with a site I was looking at on a freinds pad recently – but seriously who makes their search results in flash – phillips!).

Not often you see a reasoned argument against the pad.

Houns

Of course I knew about lack of flash, but didn’t realise how many sites use it.

Yes I know new stuff is on the way but I want to look at sites now

A lot of holiday/hotels sites use it, as do estate agents. Also videos I want to watch (no not pron, just stuff from the states)

rkk01
    Free Member

Not often you see a reasoned argument against the pad

There have been quite a few threads worth of reasoned arguments against on here over the past couple of weeks.

The “reasons” might not have been accepted / acknowledged by the iPad users 😉 but they are very real limitations in functionality for some prospective users…

CountZero

I don’t recognise any of the problems Houns witters on about. The YouTube thing doesn’t make sense, either the link works on here or it doesn’t, and when I watch a video then tap ‘Done’ I immediately come back to this page. Every time. Getting YouTube links is no hassle, I just do what I’d do on my computer, copy the video link, tap ‘video’ on here, then paste into the box, having deleted the http//: bit first, as that’s already been copied. Flash? Christ, how many shonky sites do you visit that require such a crappy, outmoded piece of software. Anything that requires third-party plug-ins in order for it to be viewed on the Internet deserves to be ignored.
    I don’t have Flash on my computer, I refuse to install it. If I absolutely need it, then I use Chrome, which runs Flash natively.

As for reading I agree that holding it out in front of you like a book is not comfortable for an length of time.
    I fold out the keyboard with the screen standing up and rest it in my lap. It is basically the same position you would use a laptop.
    The screen is no better or worse on your eyes than reading off a computer so it fails as a reader.

Who holds a book out in front of them to read? I don’t, I don’t know anyone who does. I read on my iPhone at the moment, and I can happily read books for hours on it. The screen is much, much better for reading on than any laptop, and the iPad is about the same, although the iP3 will be higher res than a 27″ iMac.
    To properly read a book you need the screen in portrait format, how are you going to do that with a laptop?
    I sit holding a book on my lap in one hand. An iPad weighs about the same as a large hardcover but you don’t need to hold the book open, and I turn pages with my thumb, to turn pages in a large book requires two hands.
    I can easily read on an iPad/iPhone and drink a beer/coffee/tea with the other hand and turn pages at the same time.
    A laptop weighs five or six pounds, is hot, you need to tap keys to turn pages, the resolution is not high enough and the screen format wrong for comfortable reading, plus you can’t put the whole of the UK OS maps on a laptop and take it out with you, which I will be when I get my Pad.
    Even editing text is a doddle on a touch screen, just tapping on a word magnifies it so you can move the cursor line easily, much less of a faff than with a trackpad, and the built in error-correction knocks spots off of what I have to put up with on my computer.
    Frankly, anyone who reckons a laptop/net book is a better ebook reader is out of their tiny mind, the though of trying to read a book on a bloody net book while travelling on a coach or crowded train fills me with horror. I could happily sit for two or three hours reading on a Pad or my phone, and have done so.

eyerideit
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Seriously, those slagging them laptops off probably haven’t used them. a nice cool lightweight one (you probably all have rubbish MBPs like eyeridetit)
    FTFY

My MMP is a beast of a workhorse not one of these silly laptop things – it has a very stable system that is secure – I don’t need virus software – it doesn’t clunk – it hums. Yes it does get hot but when you’ve got GNARRR you break a sweat don’t you.

Houns – Member
    I’ve got one, had it for just over 2 months. Not impressed.

Sorry to inform you but FLASH IS DEAD, Steve was right. I’ve had my iPad for 12 months and not missed it – it’s a bag of shite like most Adobe software. I’m speaking form experience because I use it every day. I’ve forked out £1000’s for software that crashes a lot – especially Illustrator – GRRRR IT MAKES ME MAD.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Typing can be a pain, especially if you make a mistake, you can’t touch the screen to make the cursor go to the middle of the word, you have to poke at it to eventually it goes to the end of the word then delete word and start again. It is a faff switching to numbers and symbols and back

You’ve not learned how to use it. Navigating around text is easy – just touch and hold. You can select words/all and even move the parameters around within the page of text.

eyerideit
    Free Member

four fingers to swipe between apps

five fingers to close apps

it’s frikkin’ amazing

hugor
    Free Member

I read on my iPhone at the moment, and I can happily read books for hours on it.

Lost all your cred there.
    Point about reading is not res anyway its the brightness and contrast.
    I can read books for hours but eyes strain quickly trying to read books on the ipad.

An iPad weighs about the same as a large hardcover but you don’t need to hold the book open

exactly!! who goes on a train/bus journey or down to the coffee shop with a large hardcover book!! Don’t be silly now.
    Its easy to read a paperback novel out in front of you and most people do.

built in error-correction knocks spots off of what I have to put up with on my computer.

silly word predictor is constantly getting it wrong and I have to go back continuously to put the right word in. Its a faff.

Your just an apple fanboy by the sounds of things and good for you.
    Fanboys of any description are generally not capable of reasonable judgement – they just see things through their fan boy glasses.
    I’m an avid pc user but was willing to experiment with this and it failed.
    When you spend that kind of money you want to like it – how many people hate their new bikes.

anyone who reckons a laptop/net book is a better ebook reader is out of their tiny mind

Not sure why you see the need to insult people who disagree with you!

Houns

Ignore this, just testing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Houns

Ok, clicking on the link above (not the embedded vid) takes me to this on YouTube

How do I get from there back to this page?

hugor
    Free Member

you push the big button to close youtube and go back to safari. It should open up on the same page where you left.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Would I use an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.