Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • would an on -one 456 or ragley mmbop be a worthy upgrade for rockhopper expert ?
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

currently riding a rockhopper expert 09, like the idea of upgrading the frame as everything else has been slowly upgraded,the 456 seems exceptional value, and the mbop looks good to what do you think?

also any well priced alternatives to the above, mainly trail centres like cannock and hopefully a bit of ruffer stuff this year.

cp

Theyre both very different to the rockhopper, being designed for long travel forks. What forks do you have on the rockhoper, and where/what do you typically ride?

Woody
    Free Member

Probably better value to spend the money on upgrading forks or wheels.

paulo6624
    Free Member

got a reba team, 80-120 i believe, wheels already upgraded anotyher option perhaps?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In some ways they’d both be a downgrade!!!

Long travel? Rockhoppers are only 100mm aren’t they?

SteveCHT
    Free Member

I went from the rockhopper expert to the Ragley Mmmbop about a year ago. I really like the Ragley. I have been all over Europe and the US with the Mmmbop and I have had no issues with it. Defiantly can do all the ups and downs I have put it on. Well worth the money IMHO 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Forks are probably a little short ideally for either 456 or Mmmbop, especially as you want to go a bit ‘ruffer’.

New frames are exciting though……………….. 😉 If it was me, I would flog the frame, forks and any other bits that won’t fit and transfer the rest to an Mmmbop as it is fantastic value. That said, I haven’t ridden a Ragley but I have owned three 456’s and you can’t go wrong there either.

Decisions, decisions 😀

saladdodger
    Free Member

Woody I run my 456 with Mac SC32’s which are 120mm travel and a mate of mine uses some looooooooooooong 100mm Marzochis
    to say we are both happy is a understatment

SteveCHT
    Free Member

As Woody said flog the frame and the fork, keep all the parts that will fit the new frame. My mate has a 456 and I have the Mmmbop, I think that the position of my body is better on the mmmbop but my mate says that about his bike too! So it’s really about getting on one (no pun intended) and seeing how it feels for you.

Woody
    Free Member

Salad

No problem with either of those, as you well know and Zocchi’s tend to add at least 20mm compared to other forks anyway. Depends how quick you like the handling.

I’ve got SC32’s on my 853 PA and they are ace and only 0.5deg difference in head angle compared to the 456.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Looooonng , lol the rock initially came with 100mm recons but I put some rebas on they are 100’s but I believe that they have a removable spacer to up them to 120 mm.

When I said ruffer I wasn’t talking whistler mountain , up to now the monkey at Cannock us the pinnacle of my extreme riding, lol ideally wanna grab some time in the peaks/lakes on some more natural terrain this year.

So looking at on – ones site it states( off the top of my head) 4-6inch travel compatible which is why I thought about transplanting the rebas

Lionheart
    Free Member

Yes

markinoxon
    Free Member

Just a word of warning. I wanted to do things the other way round; move all the parts (mainly SRAM family) from a Claud Butler to a Pipedream Sirius frame and then upgrade the parts as they wore out. My LBS said that it ‘should’ have been OK. New front mech, headset, BB and new forks later my new frame is now a lovely bike but it cost more than I had planned 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

Oh I should of said I sold my Giant Trance and bought the 456 which alot of folk would of called a backward step, but I have no regrets

I is one happy bunny

Jeffus
    Free Member

mmmBop is a really fun ride, and can be built up quite light, I think mine is around 26lb,nicest hardtail I’ve had feels good straight away, not ridden a 456 so can’t comment.

edoverheels
    Free Member

I was about to buy an mmmbop a few weeks ago but there were none around (at least in my frame size) and so check before you get yourself all excited.

paulo6624
    Free Member

nice one guys some really good comments coming through, i hadnt checked stock yet edoverheels, im still weighing everything up as i really like the rock been a very good beginner bike

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘would an on -one 456 or ragley mmbop be a worthy upgrade for rockhopper expert ?’ is closed to new replies.