Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Worth heading down to Laggan Wolftrax from Aviemore?
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi All,

6th – 13th July I will be in Aviemore with the family as part of a bigger holiday home to Scotland (we live in CH) and for the first time I will be bringing a bike with me! 😀 (trip topped and tailed by PPdS and weekend riding in Slovenia – lucly me!)

A couple of questions if I may be so bold, bearing in mind the dates, and that I only have time for 2-3 early morning or evening rides that week:

1) Worth heading for Wolftrax for a blast, or stay local to Aviemore (staying at Coylumbridge)?

2) Anyone want join a fat Glaswegian (me!) for some riding during that week?

Thought I might stick it out there and see if there are any nibbles. Sorry it’s not an epic tour, that’ll have to wait for another year.

Ooh, Q 3) Seems bothy bikes are the place to go for purchases and trail info – they are the best source, yes? (also for renting bikes/kiddy trailer for the family for a day or 2)

Cheers folks!

Kev

scotroutes

Bothy Bikes are indeed the centre of biking in Aviemore. Remember that they’ve moved up to new premises in Dalfaber. They also do an evening ride (Wednesdays I think) so that would be worth getting on as you’ll likely discover lots of new places.

Wolftrax is a really great wee trail centre. Laps are quite short so you can do as many/few as you have time for.

If I happen to be in/near Aviemore at that time I’d be happy to meet up for a ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Laggan rocks!. (Sorry)

nbt

Laggan’s good and is only an hour or so from Aviemore. There’s plenty of good riding around town though.

When in aviemore, be certain to visit the Inshriach Nursery and Team Room. Trust me.

grum
    Free Member

Wolftrax is a really great wee trail centre. Laps are quite short so you can do as many/few as you have time for.

+1

Probably the best bang for your buck in terms of climbing/descending of any trail centre I’ve been to as well. The climb feels like nothing.

jimster
    Free Member

Just far too much riding too be had up there, but Laggan is certainly worth the trip. 8)

fasgadh
    Free Member

+1 for the Inshriach tea room. Do not miss!

somafunk

Here’s a vid of Hannah Barnes riding at Laggan, nice views…and the trails and scenery ain’t bad either 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6a9MNY86Mp8[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Nice creepy slomo stalker shots in the intro there. 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes, yes, and yes

bigjim

jeez I don’t recognise half of what she is riding there, is it off piste stuff?

scotroutes

That’ll be the “Brown” trail over the road?

retrogirl
    Free Member

wolftrax is awesome I was there last year and if passing will go back if you go to bothy bikes they can tell you of good routes to find. If you want to drive a bit further than aviemore I was told that Golspie was good for riding

Bunnyhop

Laggan Wolftrax is one of my favourite trail centres.
    As mentioned above, do not miss the Inshriach Tea Rooms.

big_scot_nanny

listen folks, the question that everyone really wants to answer to is: “Is the clootie dumpling centre still open?”

😆

kcal

Isn’t that Inschriach House? think it is…

big_scot_nanny

and do people mean this place?:http://www.inshriachnursery.co.uk/

They don’t mind muddy bikers turning up for a mug of tea and a slide of millionaire shortbread? Looks a bit posh!

kev

wrecker
    Free Member

Nice creepy slomo stalker shots in the intro there.

But she has got lovely hair….

Bunnyhop

Inshriach tea rooms are used to muddy biker, walker and even skier types.
    Cake is amazing, so is the wildlife.

nbt

QFT

scotroutes

It’ll be cups of tea (on a tray) and nothing as mundane as millionaire shortbread!

Bunnyhop

I think mcmoonter has some photos of the famous cake.

big_scot_nanny

I love how a thread about riding some of the most glorious terrain in scotland has become about cake from a nice tearoom. Whatever, sold! I’m there.

So, scotroutes and buzz-lightyear are up for a ride, I’ll be in touch nearer the time guys. Anyone else?

Thanks all for the tips, great stuff!

Kev

tom.nash

Without a doubt!

Bunnyhop

Sorry for the hijack – buzz-lightyear on you way ooop North, do you fancy a ride around the Peak District?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Laggan is only half an hour from aviemore. Don’t miss it. It’s the bijou highlight of Scottish trail centres.

sweepy
    Free Member

I might be up for a spin depending on circumstance

theblackmount
    Free Member

>”Is the clootie dumpling centre still open?”<

Is that a euphemism for something in that HB video? 😉

Glenlivet will be open by then – will it not? (same Trail Designer) That’s where I’d be heading…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Yes.

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread, I might be in Fort Bill, I might tagalong. If that’s ok.

bullroar
    Free Member

Laggan well worth a visit for a morning/evening session. Don’t forget there are loads of rides round Aviemore for an hour or two blast. Ask in Bothy Bikes and/or grab a copy of the Strathspey trail maps and go explore.

markyboy
    Free Member

Badaguish trails.ten minute cycle from colyumbridge.excellent wee loop.

nbt

Yep, badaguish trails worth a quick spin, you can easily ride there up the old logging trail from Coylumbridge. Golspie very much worth a visit if you have time to get there, it’s a fair old trip from Aviemore though

big_scot_nanny

Och, people, you are really great, my excitement is building!

Last time I rode a bike in Aviemore was in about 1989, hire bike form Ellis Bringham (biopace chain ringed muddy fox i think?) and I rode with my dad around Loch an Eilan. Great fun! Looking forward to exploring and Bothy Bikes will indeed by my first port of call.

So, as we approach the date, can I stick another notice up, or maybe also pm, when I think I might head to Laggan or out for other rides, and lets see if we can get a Cairngorm contingent sexy-posse together?

(or what ever that philconsequence organsied southern thing was called . . . 😀 )

Teh awesomez!

Kev

Northwind

Aye, good stuff at badaguish, and a nice change if you’re trailcentring around. Laggan’s ace, Fort William obviously not that far either, Golspie and Balblair are within sane if not short driving distance (love Balblair! Mini-mcmoabs everywhere). PLus no doubt a million miles of good “natural” stuff.

jimster
    Free Member

Reading this makes me want to cancel the Cornish hols and head back up to Newtonmore – as a single bloke!! 😈

scotroutes

Badaguish is best avoided at certain times of the year as it’s Caper country.

fasgadh
    Free Member

It was on the shortlist of venues for the 2015 World Orienteering Championships until scuppered by Capers.

paul4stones

Sorry for the hijack but people on this thread might know. What are trails like round Loch Rannoch? Picked up a leaflet in Pitlochry a couple of weeks ago which suggested something to the South of the Loch? Tay forest park maybe?

big_scot_nanny

I obviously don’t have a clue Paul, maybe someone else can help.

As for Badaguish, by capers, I take it you mean the big black burd?

What’s the issue? Are they danger? Capercaillie rutting a danger to humans? 😉 Or are the just protecting their mating rituals and close trails?

I spent bloody weeks walking around Glen Tanner etc when at Uni trying to track the damn things, never saw one, could only resort to the classic zoologist animal study of looking at poo!

Kev

Bunnyhop

Ah, get yourself out to Loch Garten. We saw a Capercaillie at the Osprey Centre there. Great place for the children to visit too.
    Full of Red squirrels, all kinds of small birds as well as the famous ospreys.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Worth heading down to Laggan Wolftrax from Aviemore?’ is closed to new replies.