Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Worst building in UK
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have no idea if it even has a name, but the new-ish multi stroey car park in sheffield.

I’ve no idea whatt he idea was, but it managed to drag the ‘poor’ end of the high street/shopping district down even further.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

This and the millions just like it, dull, uninspiring cookie cutter architecture that makes no attempt to enhance anyones life beyond keeping the weather off them.

lemonysam
    Free Member

This and the millions just like it, dull, uninspiring cookie cutter architecture that makes no attempt to enhance anyones life beyond keeping the weather of them.

Well said!

pictonroad

this car park that ruins worthing sea front

ugly

Thing with that is, if it was maintained and painted a crisp white it wouldn’t look bad. Nothing wrong with a building being ‘of it’s time’, it’s the decline and rust staining that ruins most of these buildings.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

muppetWrangler that is a thing of rare beauty. Like the way they used a Victorian theme with an earlier ‘window tax chic’ faux window on the upper floor. It already looks like a well-loved family home before the filler foam is dry. Said no-one ever.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Glad you guys have the money to buy houses with interesting architecture.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Surely the Hepworth at Wakefield needs a mention in worst buildings.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

And there wasn’t a wet eye in the house:

[video]http://youtu.be/m6aY_gzmWhU[/video]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I don’t, and I don’t own a house, does that mean I shouldn’t have a view on architecture? Ah, trollery…

jambourgie
    Free Member

This and the millions just like it, dull, uninspiring cookie cutter architecture that makes no attempt to enhance anyones life beyond keeping the weather off them.

Yours for £375,000

Wouldn’t mind if they were cheap.

binners

muppetWrangler wins. And they’re always on enormous soulless housing estates, where every single road looks exactly like the next, with exactly the same leased BMW rep-mobiles in the drive. And theres absolutely nothing whatsoever you can actually do without getting in your car and driving 5 miles round 27 roundabouts first

*shudders at the thought of it*

agent007
    Free Member

Muppetwrangler, I’ll see your soulless house and I’ll raise you the latest unimaginative pastiche development from Redrow homes:

Now what we should be building is new homes that actually look new, something like this:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mind if they were cheap.

If you want to spend £3k (obv also requires land) and save the other £372000 for interesting stuff:

martinhutch

Many come to mind, but in my area there is one outright winner:

The former Bradford and Bingley BS HQ slap bang in the middle of what could be a nice little commuter town, surrounded by pretty hills and woods.

The definition of architectural blight.

lemonysam
    Free Member

For all that I like brutalism, the B&B is a bizarre failure of a building – again, it’s exacerbated by being careworn though.

40mpg

Having a career in building has led me to believe that all architects are incredibly crap at design and construction technique – It really is beyond belief

I can’t believe I’m going to defend architects, but…

The concept architect comes up with a unique scheme which looks amazing, will enhance the environs and be wonderful to live or work in.

The client doesn’t want to spend that much as he won’t get the returns or investment on that much capital, so the design gets compromised.

The planners are stuck in the sixties and tied up in their own red tape, can’t approve the form or materials, so the design gets compromised.

The structural engineer can’t make the shape work without £££ or losing volume to structure, so the design gets compromised.

The services designer can’t achieve the environmental or performance requirements so the design gets compromised

Everyone piles all the risk to succeed on the poor contractor (thats me!) who is balancing all the above factors on a knife edge to make the build work with next to no margin. The contractor value engineers the scheme and improves buildability to reduce risk, so teh design gets compromised.

The interior designer can’t match the colour of the cushions to the walls, so …

Its no wonder so much potential is missed in modern construction!

spud-face

Malvern Rider: Leave Brierley Hill flats alone! They’ve served as my north star for years – anytime I’ve found myself lost (drunk) in a strange part of the borough, all I’ve needed do was find high ground and navigate by the orientation of the flats.

Plus when I was a young’un they made a handy dumping ground for the scaggy ne’erdowells I went to school with, keeping Stourbridge (comparatively) swanky.

-salutes the stars-
    [/url]PICT0104 by spud-face, on Flickr[/img]

ye gads, it took some time to figure out how to flickr link

~edit – many a happy lunch

[/url]PICT0167 by spud-face, on Flickr[/img]

40mpg

Oh and I’ve just been looking at a scheme very similar to Agent007’s above, using Modern Methods of Construction (off site manufacture primarily), very high energy performance, looks fantastic.

Unfortunately the planners took so long fannyig around wanting tweaks (it was stuck in the middle of a Londo multi-storey estate FFS) that cost increases mean it is now no longer viable and we’re back to teh drawing board.

🙄

grrr rant over

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider: Leave Brierley Hill flats alone!

No worries, I did! Took me two years to escape, and I think by that time the area was also becoming absorbed/gentrified (!) by Merry Hell Shopping Mecca. Took a trip back there recently and was delighted to discover that the Bull and Bladder still serves the joint-first best beer know to humanity, and some of the friendliest locals reminded me that the area wasn’t all bad, just the blocks! Argh the blocks!

MR (ex-scaggy Stourbridge ne-er do well 😉 )

ourmaninthenorth

A lot of Brutalist architecture represented here. I always think that a lot of these examples would look stunning if they just painted over the grey concrete hideousness. Why don’t they do that, is there a reason?

Er, you know why it’s called Brutalism, right?

willard

Stumpy01, what year were you there?? It’s changed a lot since I left (’96) in more than just the buildings on campus.

New accommodation across the river from the Gym and on the old all weather pitch. A new lecture block up by where the old Maths building was. Departments slashed and burned. Sad really.

Anyway, the legend I heard was that the architect of the lecture theatre saw that it had been built the wrong way round and jumped off the top. Mind you, legend also has it that the whole campus is back to front; the old HQ with the pond in front should have been at the back, with the gym end being at the front.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem is, as 007 points out, you can actually build interesting houses, to the same cost and density as the faux victorian/tudor/edwardian/georgian crap we do get.

In 100 years (or probably a lot less) this crap will all get torn down again and something else will get built in it’s place.

DezB
    Free Member

Now what we should be building is new homes that actually look new, something like this

THEY ARE DISGUSTING! In 10 years people will see them as an eyesore, I guarantee it.
    Like round my way where they’ve built similar looking monstrosities on all the green land they can find.

Like this:

Hideous.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I like them. At least they’re not trying to be something else.

ourmaninthenorth

For all that I like brutalism, the B&B is a bizarre failure of a building – again, it’s exacerbated by being careworn though.

Am also a fan of brutalism. And, as with so many things, there are good and bad examples.

Unfortunately, we’re no longer fans of modernity in this country, and so have reverted to caricature and a bland pastiche of a past that never existed.

What’s weirdest of all is that in TV show/estate agent/aspiring middle class speak, “period” property really means Victorian and Edwardian. Which tells me all I need to know about the tastes of the British: stuck in the past.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There’s the problem, currently architecturally interesting buildings do carry a premium. Mostly because they are small scale, often individual schemes undertaken by people that actually care enough about what they are doing enough to try and do it well. If the major house building firms actually cared about their product rather than just churning identical estates then they would be able to significantly lower the costs.

It’s not all the fault of Taylor Wimpey and Barratts though, the general public and the local planners are equally to blame for the sad state of domestic architecture in Britain. It seems that unless the house is some sort of pastiche of Tudor, Edwardian, Georgian or Victorian then it doesn’t belong in 21st century Britain.

Northwind

Cumbernauld shopping centre really is incredible… All the charm of the chernobyl sarcophagus, and new ugliness from every angle.

jambourgie – Member

A lot of Brutalist architecture represented here. I always think that a lot of these examples would look stunning if they just painted over the grey concrete hideousness. Why don’t they do that, is there a reason?

Brutalism by definition is raw unpainted concrete. So yeah you could paint them but then they wouldn’t be brutalist any more, and Zombie Le Corbusier would come and patronise you frenchly and undeadly.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Anyhow, I’m going to post my favourite bit of Brutalism the Roger Stevens Building in Leeds:

A stunning, functional building made significantly better by having been looked after:

plumber
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m going to defend architects, but…

The concept architect comes up with a unique scheme which looks amazing, will enhance the environs and be wonderful to live or work in.

The client doesn’t want to spend that much as he won’t get the returns or investment on that much capital, so the design gets compromised.

The planners are stuck in the sixties and tied up in their own red tape, can’t approve the form or materials, so the design gets compromised.

The structural engineer can’t make the shape work without £££ or losing volume to structure, so the design gets compromised.

The services designer can’t achieve the environmental or performance requirements so the design gets compromised

Everyone piles all the risk to succeed on the poor contractor (thats me!) who is balancing all the above factors on a knife edge to make the build work with next to no margin. The contractor value engineers the scheme and improves buildability to reduce risk, so teh design gets compromised.

The interior designer can’t match the colour of the cushions to the walls, so …

Its no wonder so much potential is missed in modern construction!

Quite agree with you but there must be a way round all this. In essence we are saying everyone’s crap and that principally because there’s not enough money to produce quality

martinhutch

<freud> Looks like a winged robot with a massive erection. </freud>

That’s probably better because it wasn’t just plonked like Godzilla in the middle of a bunch of Victorian or pre-WWII town planning, like the one I suggested in Bingley. Basically that, and the dual carriageway driven through the centre of town, have destroyed the place.

I’m guessing that is on a nice spread-out campus with plenty more concrete surrounding it.

ourmaninthenorth

In essence we are saying everyone’s crap and that principally because there’s not enough money to produce quality

Smaller, higher quality schemes? (I appreciate that probably doesn’t then deliver the right ROI on the guys providing the funding – Stoner would know.)

tonyplym
    Free Member

. . . . one of several uninspiringly hideous buildings which currently “grace” Plymouth.

ourmaninthenorth

Among many others, I LOVE these buildings.

jackthedog
    Free Member

While this is a fair statement to make, it’s a shame because interesting design isn’t necessarily expensive. The market does that, not the actual design. So much clever engineering, architecture and industrial design actually drives more efficient and cost effective production methods, but the “Designer Tax” ramps up the price, leading to a level of exclusivity that prevents them from ever making it to mass market and widespread adoption.

That ghastly cookie cutter Barratt Home nightmare pictured above represents to me a far deeper, darker dystopia than even the most grim and unapologetic brutalism ever did. At least the concrete tower blocks of the 60s and 70s were built against the backdrop of hope for a better future. This mock victorian rubbish we’ve littered our land and poisoned our culture with since the 90s is a shining example of the frankly ridiculous relationship we Brits have been convinced we should have with our houses. We don’t have homes in the UK – we have property.

Today’s housing developments don’t reflect economics as much as an idealised view of a Great Britain that never actually existed for the majority of those who lived in it. Our national obsession with viewing the past as a safe haven to which we’d like to return is a symptom of fear and uncertainty, built on a misunderstanding of history that inhibits our present and impedes our future.

crazy-legs

Anyone remember this monstrosity? South shore of Westminster Bridge, now replaced by a glass/steel hotel.

But the original architect’s design doesn’t look *too* bad when presented like this:

mudshark
    Free Member

This Tim Moore book might appeal to some here as he visits some place mentioned here such as Cumbernauld.

agent007
    Free Member

THEY ARE DISGUSTING! In 10 years people will see them as an eyesore, I guarantee it.

Really, so you don’t think big window’s, lots of natural light, well thought out layouts etc will catch on? Here’s a shot from inside:

Still think that’s disgusting or would you still prefer fake leaded windows for that authentic dark interior, mock Georgian columns, and tiny pokey bedrooms (lots of them to increase the selling value)?

Can’t understand why people would want modern homes to be old fashioned in style?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This mock victorian rubbish we’ve littered our land and poisoned our culture with since the 90s is a shining example of the frankly ridiculous relationship we Brits have been convinced we should have with our houses. We don’t have homes in the UK – we have property.

^^^^^^
    *sounds of cheering*

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ahh well, if we’re going to go with architects plans, can any Newcastle locals guess/remember what this was going to be in place of (clue – the buildings centre-right were being preserved and are still standing):

(Bigger)

binners

jackthedog nails it. Beautifully put!

I find it depressing what it says about our country that huge swathes of the population are prepared to accept, and even embrace, living in the spirit-crushingly dullest, utterly soulless, most uninspiring, bland, backward-looking properties and surroundings, then adding in for good measure that its great, because its really handy for….. *insert name of mainline station/motorway junction /shopping mall here*

I despair!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Worst building in UK’ is closed to new replies.