Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Worried that the nipper may be autistic
  • banks
    Free Member

Good news, I’m literally just down the road too, unfortunately not dh though.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

FWIW boys are very different from girls in my experience, got two girls and was always amazed at how much more responsive they were compared with their male contemporaries. boys do begin to catch up around 6 or 7. be patient but don’t stop asking questions.

poly
    Free Member

It could be conformational bias – i.e. you are ‘expecting’ an answer so you look for the evidence which supports it.

He likes to line his cars up in a big traffic jam, and gets upset if they are moved, but doesn’t really play with them.

not convinced this is necessarily odd, especially if he lives in a city / spends a lot of time in traffic. My daughter (4) frequently goes stroppy if you don’t play to whatever her rules are (which she is only now learning to communicate and bear no resemblance to what we adults expect her to do!). I am sure my son (now 9) had similar phases – but hers last longer and are ‘more assertively enforced’!

He doesn’t like to make eye contact, but will do occasionally

probably various reasons for that – presumably you suspected an eye problem; I guess my kids avoid it when in trouble, but there may be other reasons. A friends of ours son seems to be in a world of his own but is in P2 and doesn’t seem to have any learning issues.

He doesn’t like certain textures (won’t walk on sand / play with playdough, but loves playing with water)

my sister in law and my son both have textures they won’t touch (e.g. velvet type surfaces) its odd but not really clinically worrying

He sometimes brings out little presents from the contents of his nappy to paint with (nice).

OK – I’ll give you that one!

He sometimes likes to spin when listening to music, and his eyes move rather strangely to the side when doing this.

to 2 yr old boy that could just be ‘dancing’. If he’s really unlucky it will all leave him and he’ll end up dancing like me!

He likes to watch the credits on angry birds on the iPad (in fact, he navigates his way straight to them if he picks up the iPad, although we don’t tend to let him play on it too often).

I have no idea what the credits are like – but (1) some developers spent a long time creating them its good someone will see them (2) he’s too young to read so its presumably just a particular pattern / motion / idea he can control the ipad predicatbly he likes.

He never waves or points or cries for help with things.

all children are different; enjoy his independence – as if he was always craving attention you would be equally worried.

He has stopped trying to sing along with songs, and doesn’t do any actions anymore (he seemed more interested when he was 12 months).

my children seem to oscillate between lets sing along, make up songs, etc etc, to not interested at all. As a child I don’t recall singing and remember thinking it was **** dull as nursery / primary school.

He will only really play with his 2yr old cousin, no one else (this involves running up and down chasing each other and laughing uncontrollably).

I don’t think that is unusual. Some children are very good at befriending anyone in the same room, some need long term exposure and good age matches etc…

Certainly individually there is nothing there which would have made me take ours to the doctor but I can see why when combined you think it might point to something. Its probably not going to make much difference in what you do in the short term so stop worrying and make sure he washes his hands before touching your iPad!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Apparently I used to do the lining cars up, avoiding eye contact, not doing too much sing along type stuff when I was young. I’m not autistic, I’m way more outgoing now-I’m a bit of an attention whore at times 😆

I hope all turns out well op.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Sorry to keep hijacking yuh thread OP.

Hora i couldn’t be calmer, yuh numpty!

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Worried that the nipper may be autistic’ is closed to new replies.