Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Workstands – again since the search is brocken
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have tried to use the Search feature as I have seen many posts in the past but they all come up as blank know.

Am after a stand for a birthday present, it needs to be as cheap as possible while still being reasnoble robust.

I have seen this one from Ribble cycles for £52

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Bike-Tool-Aluminium-Workstand/BIKEWORK200000000000

Anybody any experience of it. My frame has exposed cables running along the top of the top tube so I presume this will rotate to grip the seat post ok.

headfirst
    Free Member

Dunno about that one but I can heartily recommend the Edinburgh Bike Co’s one that I got before Christmas for £59.99. Grips seat post or top tube.

Paulio
    Free Member

I bought a Bike Tool stand, that looks exactly like the Ribble link one, about 5 years ago from Merlin I think. It’s still going strong and mine rotates to hold the toptube or seatpost – the description in the link says that one does too.

The only thing I’d say that could be better is that it can become a bit unsteady when undoing a tight bolt or something. Still it’s never fallen over and didn’t cost very much.

woody2000

Alternatively, if it’s just for cleaning or general fettling, what about an AndyStand?

Home

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Woody I am still running a square taper bottom bracket so cant use the andystand.

roger_mellie

Another recommendation for Edinburgh Bike Co-op’s Revolution stand here. Its in the sale too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had the Minoura RS5000 which looks pretty much the same except for the clamp presumably being better.

It was ok but I found those style of stands unstable – take the front wheel off and it will tip easily. So I gave it away and bought a tripod style which is very stable and I can rotate my bike round to work on it at 90% or even upside down.

If you get that one you can make it stable by putting some sand bags across the legs, or if you leave the wheels on you can lower it to the point where the wheels are touching the ground – and then it will be very stable.

You should clamp the seat-tube, not anywhere on the frame as the frame is butted and therefore weaker.

splashdown
    Free Member

Bigsurfer – I bought that very bikestand from Ribble back in the summer as it was the cheapest I could find.

When it turned up I discovered why it was so cheap – it’s crap!

The bike stand wobbles when used and the plastic/nylon clamp is very cheap and doesn’t look like it’d have lasted very long so I sent it back and swapped it for the Tacx Workstand T3050 Spider Team (far better construction and holds the bike steady).

jamesy01
    Free Member

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=5379&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=C287&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003136c003544

Edinburgh Bike Co-op now £47.99.

Got one for my Christmas and it seems reasonable enough for my needs. The web page has a couple of decent reviews on it.

peachos
    Free Member

i got this one. happy with the purchase – http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bike-workstand-53433343/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

another vote for the edinburgh stand (sold by several traders in re-badged form, but edinburgh currently the cheapest). Not as sturdy as a rigid stand but I dont have enough space to house a rigid and need a collapsible stand.

Use it for anything more than a 30second tinker, just stripped a bike to bare frame this morning in mine. One of those things you wonder how you did without, a joy not to have to squat/kneel/bend.

Yes the head is plastic but its being only used to hold a 30lb bike, not sure why it would be less durable than a metal head.

And I always clamp the seatpost.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I got one of the Minoura folding stands for Christmas from Wiggle. Nice bit of kit that folds up small (ish). Gets a bit wobbly when I put my big trail bike on there clamped on the seat post but fine for most things

Milkie
    Free Member

Park Tools PCS10 here, seems sturdy with my 5 kilo all mountain bike (12 kilo xc in real world) on it. 😆

Just remember to get yourself a nice drum/workshop stool to sit on. 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

sealey bike repair stand

I’ve got one of these , quite heavy duty but extremely stable and the bike can be rotated through 360 degrees.Nearer £100 though.

Both my bikes are built to withstand my ham fisted riding style , HT weighs 27lb, FS big bouncer 38lb I’ve had no problems with either on this stand.

Blueadvocate

I have the Ribble one its excellent. Stronger than it looks in the picture.

druidh
    Free Member

I find the EBC (and lookalike) ones pretty unstable. You get it all balanced fine, take a wheel off and the thing tips over. The Seeley one looks like a better bet.

paulo6624
    Free Member

just out of interest i just bought the edinburgh bike shop stand and it is excellent easily foldable and rotates into all kinds of posistions its a quality piece of kit for the cash.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

When it comes to bikes I never buy cheap (on purpose). I like nice shiny quality bling things.

On this occasion I am seriously tempted by that EBS stand though. Damn you all.

I’m going to have my tea and if its still bugging me afterwards its going to get nailed.

adam_h
    Free Member

I’ll second carlosg, got the same one with a different name on (think I paid about £65 new for mine off ebay) and it’s been fine. No issues with it wobbling or tipping.

spock
    Free Member

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Workstands-Boss-S1200-Rigid-Workstand/BOSSWORK200000000000

This is a bit sturdier, still the same price from ribble

I have used it daily for about a year and it hasn’t missed a beat, very sturdy and adjustable.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi
    Yes OP, I bought that very stand from Ribble a few months back, been very pleased with it, especially at the price. You can rotate the head so that it grips top, down or seat tubes.
    Despite how it appears in the photo, it’s a solid and sturdy stand, quite heavy. However, I would probably agree with posts above saying that this type of stand might be a bit unsteady if you had to really wrench something.

carlosg
    Free Member

That stand in spocks post is the Sealey stand re-branded, I’d definitely buy it again(much cheaper than the ebay one I found)

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

This is a bit sturdier, still the same price from ribble

I have used it daily for about a year and it hasn’t missed a beat, very sturdy and adjustable.

Spock / carlosg; I hope your pleased with yourself! I just spent the kids dinner money.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Workstands – again since the search is brocken’ is closed to new replies.