Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 279 total)
  • Work related expenses (wtf content)
  • zilog6128

Perfect excuse to try out Intermediate Fasting. Just have one (massive) meal a day in the evening.

Either that or start foraging for your lunch. Are you anywhere near Battersea?

footflaps

footflaps – we aint even allowed off the truck between camp and the base in nigeria.

OK Nigeria is very different to Ghana / Cameroon security wise!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah you sure they don’t mean you can only claim for lunch if a free (to you) meal isn’t available from some on site catering?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Obviously this is a first world issue but then I expect that most of the people pointing that out have plenty of their own FWIs that they complain about too.

yep mines currently that the poppyseeds off my cheap sandwich are scattered on my desk can mol confirm if expensive pret sarnies do this also ?

iolo
    Free Member

Maybe we could do a molgrips lunch telethon.
    We could get a load of famous people off of the seventies to answer the phone.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Won’t work iolo – phones aren’t allowed in jail.

clubber
    Free Member

yep mines currently that the poppyseeds off my cheap sandwich are scattered on my desk can mol confirm if expensive pret sarnies do this also ?

Just tested it and I can confirm that they don’t. This should mean that they are a legitimate expense as they are avoiding a signifiant potential EHS issue in the workplace (poppy seeds getting into keyboards/mice!)

iolo
    Free Member

Damn

iolo
    Free Member

Anyone know what Bob Geldof if doing?
    Maybe he can help

clubber
    Free Member

Just called. He said he was busy trying to sort out TheStabiliser’s disaster at Bletherbarrow. Priorities and all that.

Aparently he’s putting on an Opera-thon for it…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps there is on site catering but by the time molgrips gets there everything has gone?

binners

Do they have these in the smoke Molls? For those who find Greggs needlessly indulgent , and a bit pricey

trail_rat
    Free Member

actually binners – come to think of it i wonder what was in the pies we used to buy from the bakery near my secondary …. we used to get hot mince pies for 40 pence …… and that was only in 2005 – not 1964 or anything.

binners

Did you ever see any stray dogs? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Feeling overly self entitled at all Mr Mol Gripes?

Well no. I’m a home-based worker, so they should pick up the tab when I’m sent away. This is normal, and they do it – except for this one quirk. Which, as previously mentioned, costs a non-trivial amount of money.

As for having an expensive bike habit – those days are way behind me!

footflaps

No joking matter…

Didn’t someone get arrested on drug smuggling charges entering Dubai for having poppy seeds off his in flight meal roll, found in his clothes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back in 02 we had a dinner bed & breakfast rate of £60 at that point a night in a travel lodge was 59. That was tight. To get around lunchtime we used to get the B&b to up the rate and make us a packed lunch or just have double breakfast and make sarnies with it.

Had the discussion recently with my boss who thought it was ridiculous to claim lunch when I’m away, told him where to stick it especially as we are billing back to clients who are happy to fly people business class.

binners

geoffj

The superfood salads from Pret are VERY nice though

Solo
    Free Member

OP. considering the amount of ‘work’ time you spend on here, you’re lucky they don’t invoice you. just stump up and stop your grizzling.
    🙂

unknown
    Free Member

What a lot of waaahhh over a complete non issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Though in true STW fashion I am sat drinking leffe while on expenses and I will be claiming for lunch but not this beer which is a personal luxury. It’s a shame the Belgian bar is opposite the hotel I could get to like Perth

tinybits
    Free Member

So, lets get this straight. The OP is complaining that the food he buys IS subsidised, unless there is a works canteen, which then it’s not. So when there is a canteen, the issue is the difference between the cost of making sandwiches (‘pence’) and the cost of food on site.
    This on the face of it, sounds like quite a small problem, but in the normal fashion, he’s going to make a mountain out of a molehill*.

I suggest joining a union and then striking.

* quite proud of that one actually.

iolo
    Free Member

He’s normally not one to create a fuss.
    I do however recall he had a slight car problem that was fixed after a few responses.
    It does sound like he’s quite bored at work.
    Maybe he could cook a steak for his lunch.

bruneep

Was it fixed?

iolo
    Free Member

Who cares

bearnecessities

Meanwhile, somewhere in Leeds, cheesecake is being consumed.

molgrips
    Free Member

The thread was actually asking for knowledge and/or experience, but don’t let that stop you having a good time 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Bearnecessities,
    Was it you or work who paid for it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Well no. I’m a home-based worker, so they should pick up the tab when I’m sent away. This is normal, and they do it – except for this one quirk. Which, as previously mentioned, costs a non-trivial amount of money.

You have failed to answer all the posts mentioning that you get meals paid for while away, that you would have to pay for at home.

So in fact you are better off when away, not worse off as you seem to think.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@Clubber

You don’t know [bletherbarrow] man, you weren’t there…you…weren’t…there

monksie
    Free Member

God help him and every other bugger who happens across him should he ever get to actually attempt GDR. No bitch is going to provide a packed lunch there, either 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

🙂 @ stabiliser – as I said, not picking you out, just making the case that we all have issues that are meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

molgrips
    Free Member

So in fact you are better off when away, not worse off as you seem to think.

Do I spend £5/day on dinner and breakfast?

nickc

In answer to the actual question. It’s just your work being arsey.

There’s nothing in the meal allowance on HMRC about “on site catering” there are 4 allowable expenses £5 for early start/ breakfast £5 for one meal £10 for two meal or £15 for evening/late

Take it up with your HR if it really bothers you

boblo
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Was it fixed?

Don’t be silly! Moly’s been a bit tied up issuing his ITT for panniers preparing for next years Great Divide…. 🙂

You are good value Moly. Ace and no. 1 troll. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Do I spend £5/day on dinner and breakfast?

Probably.

But it was £8/week you reckoned you were down wasn’t it ?

Make your mind up. Is it £25 a week or £8 a week you are talking about ?

£12.50/week then. Loaf of bread and some cheese = £4.50.
    £12.50 – £4.50 = £8 out of pocket

Either way, you aren’t out of pocket

randomjeremy
    Free Member

THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH

molgrips
    Free Member

But it was £8/week you reckoned you were down wasn’t it ?

No, that was in response to someone who claimed I could eat for 2.50 a day and not be out of pocket.

grum
    Free Member

So is it not possible to make sandwiches in a hotel room?

And do all sandwiches in London cost £6?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Work related expenses (wtf content)’ is closed to new replies.